8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

DIY Courtesy Lights

69K views 116 replies 51 participants last post by  Tartastic 
#1 ·
Things needed:
1. Basic tools (flat head screw, diagonal cutter, electrical tape.. etc. etc.
2. Any L.E.D. product but i recommend StreetGlow L.E.D.s & It's better to get a small L.E.D.s instead of a neon tube because those neons need alot of power and the power source that where ur gonna tap ur wire won't handle a heavy load.

3. A volt meter.

STEPS
1. Disconnect the Negative (-) part of the battery.

2. Remove the panel under the steering column. There are 2 clips and one screw-on plastic clip.

3. Next, start setting up the wiring and run all the wires under the dash... You decide where you want to hide it and where to run it.

4. Now, tap your POSITIVE (+) wire from your L.E.D.s to the slot where the arrow is connected. In the otherside of that slot, a RED/GREY wire should be connected... I would use an voltmeter just to be sure...

5. Put an in-line rocker switch in the RED (+) wire from the LEDs. Its an optional switch if u want to have an ON/OFF switch for the courtesy lights.

6. Choose wherever u want to put the L.E.D.s... I drilled a small hole in my center console. Then for my both Driver side n Passenger side LEDs i just taped them with an electrical tape..***see how bootleg i did it??***LOL

7. Install every single panel that we removed including the (-) battery

and that's it... this LEDs will turn on when you turn ON the park & headlights... so it's a little similar from the real COURTESY LIGHTS from HONDA... I HOPE THIS DIY WILL BE A HELP...

***sorry guys if i sucked in giving instructions i'm not good when it comes in making instructions... =p give me some comments bout my DIY n just ask me if u have questions...1

See less See more
#3 ·

this is one pic... u could check out my cardomain page for more pics...

http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/2213496

*** i just placed the rocker switch hanging underneath the plastic panel under the steering column...

#4 ·
Awesome kicker_jace!! Thanks for the help. I've been bugging this guy all weekend and he came through big time! I'm one of the guys who got the factory fogs installed and knew there could be a work-around the issue with not being able to get fogs installed with courtesy lights. I'm just not well versed with wiring stuff for my car so this really helps alot.

Thanks, I'm going out to get the stuff now and see if I can put this together without letting my car catch on fire! :)

#7 ·
LOL...anytime YOGIx213 just ask me if u need help or somethin... feel free to ask ill be glad to help... ur car will probably have the same setup as mine coz i have the foglights too...=) so definitly u will have the similar blue connector where i tapped my power source...

#8 ·
CameronJr9 said:
Looks good. Not too bright, but just enough to let you see what's going on.
tnx CameronJr9... yeah for me its just ok the birghtness is not too bright just ok i just got it for $11 LOL so instead of getting the real one which will run me around $100 bucks i save money for gas...LOL

#9 ·
Well I just ordered the exact same Streetglow ones you recommended from cardomain.com so I' should get them by Wednesday or Thursday. I'm going to go out and pick up the rocker switch at a local shop and hopefully be able to work on it by the upcoming weekend. Nice little project for me!

#10 ·
kicker_jace said:
tnx CameronJr9... yeah for me its just ok the birghtness is not too bright just ok i just got it for $11 LOL so instead of getting the real one which will run me around $100 bucks i save money for gas...LOL

That's another huge plus to the project. $100 bucks for the courtey lights just seemed absurd to me, so this is 90% cheaper, easy to do (thanks to your instructions) and looks as good or even better.

#13 ·
HybridRoninX said:
Hey Jace, where'd you get the switch from?
switch came from autozone... its just a regular rocker switch any local auto store will def have it...

#21 ·
Hey kicker! I installed the aftermarket courtesy lights last weekend but haven't gotten around to posting pics yet. They're great and adds a nice touch to the interior. I didn't quite wire it exactly as you did, I hooked up the positive power in my fuse box and the negative is connected to the body. I did however get the rocker switch and so I'm able to turn it on and off as I please. Also, my dad helped me install the switch under the steering wheel console and made it look stock. It's pretty sweet. Anyway, thanks for the inspiration and the DIY! I'll post pics of the switch setup when I get a chance.

#23 ·
cojaro said:
I'm not too sure about where all the wires go.

Where does the other end of the red wire go? to the LEDs?

and to what did you connect the ground?

sori bout the late reply i was so busy with school n work...

the other end of the red wire goes to the leds...

then about the ground i just mounted it to the chasis... or actually u could mount it anywhere...

#24 ·
YOGIx213 said:
Hey kicker! I installed the aftermarket courtesy lights last weekend but haven't gotten around to posting pics yet. They're great and adds a nice touch to the interior. I didn't quite wire it exactly as you did, I hooked up the positive power in my fuse box and the negative is connected to the body. I did however get the rocker switch and so I'm able to turn it on and off as I please. Also, my dad helped me install the switch under the steering wheel console and made it look stock. It's pretty sweet. Anyway, thanks for the inspiration and the DIY! I'll post pics of the switch setup when I get a chance.

so glad to hear that... ill wait for the pictures... good luck with it...=)

#25 ·
I got some courtesy lights finally installed.

I got a rocker switch with a blue LED, but it's slightly different colored than the other LEDs. Doesn't bother me any.

I put the rocker switch in the center, and used it not only as an on/off switch but also as a courtesy light! works perfectly.

But the LEDs I got concentrate in a cicle when light, so I decided to point them at the speakers, since the concentrated blue light covers the entire speaker. I'll post pics after I get done adjusting the lights.

#26 ·
cojaro said:
I got some courtesy lights finally installed.

I got a rocker switch with a blue LED, but it's slightly different colored than the other LEDs. Doesn't bother me any.

I put the rocker switch in the center, and used it not only as an on/off switch but also as a courtesy light! works perfectly.

But the LEDs I got concentrate in a cicle when light, so I decided to point them at the speakers, since the concentrated blue light covers the entire speaker. I'll post pics after I get done adjusting the lights.

thats cool... put up some pics... good luck with it..=p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.