8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

HID/Bulb replacement DIY

63K views 94 replies 56 participants last post by  ayyybui 
#1 ·
it's easy except for the passenger side

unless you have a little girly hands, it is nearly impossible to do because of the ABS unit blocking it.

I just got 6000k HID's and took some pix. hopefully this can help you all in the future

1) you would need an HID kit...DEPENDING ON THE KIT, you may or may not need to run the wiring harness...also get the kit that has the ignitor built in. if you see HID kits on ebay, it's the little black box (not the ballast)

2)take the cover off(i ran the wiring underneath)

3)take the wheel off and the splash guards. Little clips you need a flat head screw driver to pry the center part) then the outer part

4)take the wiring harness off by pressing the bottom(little tab) and pulling it downward. then twist the bulb LEFT and pull out. WHEN you are putting the HID bulb in, take a good look at the bulb you pulled out and make sure the bulb go in the right way. (important! or you will blind everyone and get moisture in the headlight)

5)Reverse install in order

my Silverstars& HID comparison

MY HIDs

ENJOY

See less See more
#4 ·
ballplaya4237 said:
I have a McColloch(w/e sp??) installed my cut off isn't near that nice and i have hot spots really bad. Is there any chance it's because the bulbs are pointed the wrong way? Thanks.
HOT spots like "temperature" hot?

if the cut off isn't as good as mine, chances are the bulbs are not installed the right way.there are 3 prong thingys. more than likely one or more prongs may not have been fully IN, causing it to TILT up/down and be out of focus

it's like this. if the HID's capsule is at the SAME POINT as the old light's filament, then the output pattern will be NO different than the stock lights it came with. people are saying how this blinds the hell out of everyone but its mostly for those with H4, 9004, 9007 bulbs with dual filament.

#6 ·
thanks for the write up. The glare doesnt look too bad, except for those 2 eyebrows..

Have you been flashed by the oncoming traffic yet? How is the glare in real life? The best way to find out is to have someone drive infront of you.... Can you take a pic of the lights with the car a little further back?

#14 ·
I was goin to buy and install HID conversion on my baby
but i heard from performance improvements (while i was price shopping)
that HID conversion are Illegal in canada. therefore they are not selling
HID kits to the public. personally i dont like buying kits from Pacific mall shops
i really dont trust these guys i in those malls, i think they are all about the sale!!. and i also heard that several manufactureres are in court fighting for
kits to be legal in canada

does anyone know about this issue or heard about it about kits being illegal?

#15 ·
2006civicex_to said:
HID kits to the public. personally i dont like buying kits from Pacific mall shops
i really dont trust these guys i in those malls, i think they are all about the sale!!. and i also heard that several manufactureres are in court fighting for

as far as i know, canadian based online stores are still selling them.

#16 ·
2006civicex_to said:

As far as I know they are still legal for sale in Canada. I thought I read somewhere that aftermarket HID kits were banned for sale in the U.S. though awhile back.

#19 ·
heyy guys just installed my hids today... i just wanna know if it will really change the beam pattern after u put the hids...

i noticed with the stock halogens the beam pattern has a nice edgy cutline but with my hids it doesnt really show a cutline... ill post the pic soon tnx

#26 ·
I liked the DIY it was good I put in HID’s in my civic last year never had any problems with people high beaming me or cops pulling me over. Like someone else posted they think that its all factory, but I did try to say safe with a color mach of OEM Wight 4300K. I would recommend this color because all reflective signs glow, and easily seen. I have a picture of them on while sitting in the car but I’ll take a picture and show you were I mounted the ballast. I purchased my HID Kit off Extralights.com, they seem to be reliable, and have good products. I bought from them before. Hope this Post helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.