8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

DIY- Civic Type-R FD2 Beam light kit

34K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  PasswordDuk 
#1 ·
Ok so this is two parts. The actual light install into the bumper and then the electrical portion.

For the light install i used the tools you see here. Unabits, Xacto knife, and small drill bit for pilot holes.

IMG_4919 by Rj, on Flickr

on the backside of the bumper Honda put guides for you. You can see exactly where to drill and cut. There are 4 large circles with crosshairs, and 3 small ones. I used a sharpie on them so i could see them better when i was lining things up.

IMG_4916 by Rj, on Flickr

I took the small drill bit to the centers of all the crosshairs, then followed behind with the unabits of appropriate size. Once the holes were cut, i carefully used an xacto knife to cut along the lines that Honda placed to cut in-between the holes drilled.

IMG_4921 by Rj, on Flickr

After the hole was cut, you may have to clean it up an trim some. You then take the appropriate labeled brackets and front bumper covers and install them as shown below. Its really quite simple once you have the holes cut.

IMG_4917 by Rj, on Flickr

IMG_4922 by Rj, on Flickr

--NOW onto the electrical portion. I am writing this with the assumption that you have some sense. It is a very very easy job but i think its important to illustrate it for everyone in the community.

You will need standard electrical tools. Some elec *****, wire stripper, some wire taps is what i used.

So what youre going to do is take the voltage and ground you need for the BEam Lights, right off the Honda Civic Si factory fog light wiring. If you dont have fog lights from the factory then you need to install a relay switch etc etc. Im not getting into that portion, but this will at least show you what goes to where so it will work.

Remove your front bumper so that you have access to the bumper and your factory fog light harness.

IMG_20110131_165848 by Rj, on Flickr

The beam lights come with a wiring harness and a small convertor box

IMG_20110131_165859 by Rj, on Flickr

On the harness that connects to that small black box there is a yellow wire, black wire, and white wire

YELLOW= 12V in
BLACK= Ground
WHITE= 12V out to beam lights

I mounted my convertor box here- you can do yours wherever

IMG_20110131_175908 by Rj, on Flickr

BACK to the harness that came with the beam light kit. if you look on the left, there is also a ground that you must ground WITH the ground going into the black convertor box.

IMG_20110131_171517 by Rj, on Flickr

This is your factory fog light connector. I just used these wires with wire taps and used the power and ground here. Then it runs off of the factory fog light switch on your stalk.

RED= 12V
BLACK=GROUND

IMG_20110131_173704 by Rj, on Flickr

SO- i CUT the 2 black wires and the yellow wire. DO NOT cut the white wire. I then twisted the two blacks together. and fed them to the ground on the fog light connector and fed the yellow to the 12V on the factory fog light connector. I wanted to test everything before tapping and taping things up.

IMG_20110131_172045 by Rj, on Flickr

So i turned on the headlights with the fogs, and VOILA!

IMG_20110131_172323 by Rj, on Flickr

So i then took both grounds and tapped them with a wire tap on the factory black wire, and the single yellow wire onto the factory red wire. I covered everything with elec tape and secured all the wiring (i used white so i knew that i modified the wiring) made sure it was all sealed up and put the bumper back on. and you're all done!!

IMG_20110131_182833 by Rj, on Flickr

IMG_20110131_204023 by Rj, on Flickr

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.