8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

CLEARING HEADLIGHTS (WITH PICS)

273K views 1K replies 439 participants last post by  Polak108 
#1 ·
these are the tools that you will need to use. 10mm socket, extension, razor blade, flathead, phillips head, star bit socket.

now you will need to remove your front bumper, i dont think i need to show every step of that because so many people have already posted it.

once the bumper is off, there are three 10mm bolts that hold the headlight and bracket to the car. remove those and take the headlight out... warning this project can not be done without taking the bumper off, so dont try any shortcuts., also use this picture for making sure that you hook the right connectors to the right headlight, when you re install.

now use the star bit, not sure of the size, i have a set and just tried it until i found the right one., remove the four star bit screws on the back of the headlight. now remove the bulbs (headlight, hi beam, blinker,)

now preheat your oven to 275 degrees,

cook the headlight at 275 degrees for six minutes and make sure that you dont leave it to long. once you take it out of the oven, use the flathead screwdriver to start prying the headlight assembly away from the clear lens cover.

once the lens is off there are two screws that hold the light assembly to the back cover. remove those and the chrome assembly with the amber plastic peices should slide right out.

when you get to this point look at how the amber peices are held on the the chrome assembly. it is very easy to just pop those peices off

next remove the old sealant from both the lens and the back cover with the razor blade and clean the surface good for resealing. put the haeadlight assembly back together just how you took it apart, minus the amber peices, and then reseal it with a flexible clear sealant from any auto parts store.

then reinstall the headlight, and repeat for the other side.

See less See more
#17 ·
awesome job...

Is there anyone in the bay area/norcal area that can give me a hand with this? or do it completely - ill pay you.

I just really dont want to bake my headlights and mess them up, i will get slaughtered by teh parents. and i dont have a place to put my front bumper.

G
#18 ·
im scared outta mah tree to headlight-casserole the ****
out of a 380.00 unit but what get me is these DIY's and
different pre-heats and cook times.

Ingredients:

Tools, Hex bits, flatheads ,etc...
Oven
Mits
Baking pan
Patience

First pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees and bake your
headlights for 4 minutes....

This is what one VID i watched said to do, This DIY says 274 for 6 minutes
and other guy says 10 minutes?

Man i just wish it didnt involve a frickin oven! argghh!!

#21 ·
Heat gun would work as well, however, heat wouldn't be evenly distrubuted and you run the risk of burning an area. You'd be surprised how fast one second it's fine, next it's melting.

BE VERY CAREFUL USING A HEAT GUN...

Some heat guns have two settings: use the lower one. You don't want the 700 degree F setting lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.