8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

HID xenondepot install guide

43K views 68 replies 31 participants last post by  koticone 
#1 ·
#4 ·
No drilling at all? Is the Install reversable? I miss my S2000 HID and want some again. I'm just wondering what the best options are.. Right now, looks like these. Is there a JDM projector replacement. I heard there was? Myth maybe. How much were those HIDs?

#7 ·
i paid like 405 shipped.. i got the 4300k kit.. They look great, just like the S2000, STI's, EVO's, etc.. you'll need to rig up something around the bulbs to project them.

Once the weather gets warmer I will do it for my car and do a write up.

#13 ·
The install of my Kaixen 6000K HID kit took less than 30 minutes to do. No need to drill, no need to cut wires, no need to take off the front bumper, or take off any wheels. It was very quick and easy.

Here's a run-through of how I installed it:

1) Jack up the car high enough so that there is enough room to take the clips off the fenderwall lining and push it back.
2) Remove the stock bulb.
3) Insert the HID bulb.
4) Connect all the wiring. (Note: With the Kaixen HID kit there is no cutting of wires, no wires that connect to the battery, ot any wires that ground it. It is a completely plug and play kit which makes the install very easy).
5) Mount the ballasts underneath the front fenders using industrial strength velcro for ease of removing it later if you wish too. And trust me, this stuff is very strong so there really is no chance of it falling off.
6) Zip tie some of the wires together to make it look more organized.
7) Put the clips back for the fenderwall lining and lower the car. You are done.
8) Turn on your HID's and admire how they look.

Plus, the Kaixen kits can be had for $300 shipped or less, so they are a great deal. They are high quality and come with a 1 year warranty, I definitely recommend them!

I hope this helps someone interested in HIDs for their civic.

#14 ·
SpEEd64 said:
The install of my Kaixen 6000K HID kit took less than 30 minutes to do. No need to drill, no need to cut wires, no need to take off the front bumper, or take off any wheels. It was very quick and easy.

Here's a run-through of how I installed it:

1) Jack up the car high enough so that there is enough room to take the clips off the fenderwall lining and push it back.
2) Remove the stock bulb.
3) Insert the HID bulb.
4) Connect all the wiring. (Note: With the Kaixen HID kit there is no cutting of wires, no wires that connect to the battery, ot any wires that ground it. It is a completely plug and play kit which makes the install very easy).
5) Mount the ballasts underneath the front fenders using industrial strength velcro for ease of removing it later if you wish too. And trust me, this stuff is very strong so there really is no chance of it falling off.
6) Zip tie some of the wires together to make it look more organized.
7) Put the clips back for the fenderwall lining and lower the car. You are done.
8) Turn on your HID's and admire how they look.

Plus, the Kaixen kits can be had for $300 shipped or less, so they are a great deal. They are high quality and come with a 1 year warranty, I definitely recommend them!

I hope this helps someone interested in HIDs for their civic.

if my bulbs would've twisted in or snapped in, i would've been done as fast. But i had to screw them in since the design was different even though it was the right bulb.

#17 ·
So uh,what model or whatever HID's are these? like model or part number? thanks i'd like either 6000k or 8000k but would like to know what the part name is.

#19 ·
So just 4300 k? I went on xenon depot and they have alot on there but, its confusing and it doesnt say for what car or model its for they just list alot of HID's and part numbers. How are sylvania silverstars compared to HIDs? because our cars have halogens correct? HID's will be much more times brighter then silverstars? or?

#20 ·
06CivEXJon said:
So just 4300 k? I went on xenon depot and they have alot on there but, its confusing and it doesnt say for what car or model its for they just list alot of HID's and part numbers. How are sylvania silverstars compared to HIDs? because our cars have halogens correct? HID's will be much more times brighter then silverstars? or?
With HID kits, they are pretty much universal but they can be and will still fit on your vehicle as long as you get the matching size bulbs. The HID kit plugs into the factory wiring. Then a relay is connected with another wire that goes straight to the battery. When you turn the headlights on, the relay is in a sense triggered to grab the power from the battery since more current is needed then the factory wire can supply, so its enough to power the ballasts.

XenonDepot HID Conversion Kit - 4300k is what you want. The bulb size for the low beams are HB4 (Honda) or 9006 (Universal).

#21 ·
Thanks very much unplugged you are very helpful! :thumb:

#22 ·
06CivEXJon said:
Thanks very much unplugged you are very helpful! :thumb:
no problem.. XenonDepot is one of the best kits out there too because of the ballasts they use. I would definitely recommend them!

If you need any help with the install, let me know. Its basically plug and play.

#23 ·
If the hids use 9-12v power and only 35w (which is less than basically any halogen bulb) then there is no reason to use a relay. AND BTW, if you ordered the right size for your car and the bulbs dont fit, then theres a problem. There should be no need to drill anything. I have done many installs and never should you drill anything into the housing. I have even done installs using oem hid's from other cars, and you just need the adaptor ring, which they sell at most performance shops, and silicon(sp?) it on the bulb. Wiring is easy. You should only use a relay when you are installing as an extra accessory. The is no need for a relay when using them as replacements to stock headlights.

#24 ·
2RotorMotor said:
If the hids use 9-12v power and only 35w (which is less than basically any halogen bulb) then there is no reason to use a relay. AND BTW, if you ordered the right size for your car and the bulbs dont fit, then theres a problem. There should be no need to drill anything. I have done many installs and never should you drill anything into the housing. I have even done installs using oem hid's from other cars, and you just need the adaptor ring, which they sell at most performance shops, and silicon(sp?) it on the bulb. Wiring is easy. You should only use a relay when you are installing as an extra accessory. The is no need for a relay when using them as replacements to stock headlights.
I never drilled anything into the housing. And NO, 35w/12v is not enough to turn these HID's on. You need a relay to get power from the battery. Once powered, it is enough because HID's use less power once running. They need something like 20,000 volts to turn on. The ballast can't produce that with mere stock wiring.

If you think you can get away with powering these on from the stock bulb wiring, then your in for some fuse blowing, possible cause of fire.

#25 ·
unplugged said:
I never drilled anything into the housing. And NO, 35w/12v is not enough to turn these HID's on. You need a relay to get power from the battery. Once powered, it is enough because HID's use less power once running. They need something like 20,000 volts to turn on. The ballast can't produce that with mere stock wiring.

If you think you can get away with powering these on from the stock bulb wiring, then your in for some fuse blowing, possible cause of fire.
The fuse will blow WAY BEFORE A FIRE. And besides that's what the ballast is there for(to start the lights). Have you seen the factory wires for cars that come equiped with HID's? Its the same guage. And if you need proof, Ill get home and snap some pics of the maxima. I have never had a stock fuse blow as of yet. And I've done upwards of 40 installs. I install all of them the same way. Im not knocking the use of relay, but in my personal experience its a waste of time. I do, however, use a relay when using a switch. Direct current should never go through a switch.

#26 ·
2RotorMotor said:
The fuse will blow WAY BEFORE A FIRE. And besides that's what the ballast is there for(to start the lights). Have you seen the factory wires for cars that come equiped with HID's? Its the same guage. And if you need proof, Ill get home and snap some pics of the maxima. I have never had a stock fuse blow as of yet. And I've done upwards of 40 installs. I install all of them the same way. Im not knocking the use of relay, but in my personal experience its a waste of time. I do, however, use a relay when using a switch. Direct current should never go through a switch.
Well the kit comes with a relay so i used it, especially since it'll void the 1 yr warranty if I don't. I'm sure the factory wiring could possibly handle it, but i rather not take a chance.. fuse or fire. Especially while driving at night. Nothing wrong with using the relay either.

As for waste of time.. its all pre-wired.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.