8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Headlight Aiming

195K views 165 replies 92 participants last post by  tylerxhovan 
#1 ·
So after getting my retro's, I did a lot of searching and asking question's to find the way to aim your headlights. After awhile I was able to figure it out, thanks to Yodums for all the help aiming and to J-Ro for building an awesome setup and also helping with aiming!! :clapping:

So I thought why not make a thread for it instead of trying to piece together a bunch of answers. Hopefully this will help anyone trying to do some aiming.

So here are the measurements: :dancing: (These are more exact for projectors but can also be used for just regular halogen or hid bulbs)

Honda Specs:
1. measure vertically the ground to the centre of the lens
2. multiply that number by 0.9
3. measure 25ft forward from the centre of the lens
4. measure vertically from the ground to the cutoff at 25ft. Your objective is to have the cutoff at the height calculated in Step 2.

In other words
- Find a [near] perfectly flat surface with at least 30ft of room and a wall
- Measure the distance from the ground to the middle of your projector bulb (Mine is 25")
- Mark with tape on a wall that distance minus 2". So, 23" for me.
- Back your car up 25' (Distance is from the wall, to the projector bulb).
- Adjust the drivers side headlight cutoff (very top) with mark on the wall.
- Adjust the passenger side headlight cutoff to match drivers side.

As for some pictures:
Tools needed 6-8 inch phillips screw driver like this

and a flash light (because you should be doing this at night so that you can see the cutoff on the wall properly)

^This is the adjustment piece. Works like a gear when you turn the screw driver.

Then this is the area your going to be working in.

Closer up view

^That little hole is where your going to be sticking the screw driver down. Now it's a little hard to see, but really if you follow the hole it pretty much guides you right into the gears that was circled before. Both sides are the same, it's just a little harder to see on the drivers side because of the battery.

^As you can see there are guides that direct the screw driver into the gears.

Now that you have caught the gears with the head of the screw driver you turn it CLOCKWISE to move the light up and COUNTER CLOCKWISE to move it down, to line it up with the measurements you did previously. (NOTE- Do not turn the adjustment peice to far as it will eventually stop and break. If you do not see the light getting lower or higher you've hit the limit that the lights can be adjusted too.

So I hope this helps somebody out and maybe it will get turned into a sticky i don't know. If anyone has anymore questions or would like to see some more pictures of a specific thing feel free to ask. :dancing:

The final outcome.

See less See more
#7 ·
yes this works for just regular pnp kits. the specs are from honda, it's just with a projector it is obvious where the cut off is. a little harder with just a pnp, but you can limit the amount of glare above the line you make on the wall. glad this is helping some people :dancing:

#12 ·
edit: thats the most insane cut off I've ever seen. Wonder what can do that.
S2K projectors + blacked-out shields :thumb:

Good stuff Brendan... thanks for taking the time to put this together. The few times I'm NOT either away or too busy, I'm too damn lazy lol :biggrin:

#13 ·
lol no worries half the info is yours, just thought i'd put some pics and more details along with it..

#14 ·
Someone with PnP, show me pics of your headlights aimed down at the ground.

I really don't think there is any point in adjusting them from OEM aiming. (You won't pass inspection if they are aimed too far down, for one)

With projectors, you have an actual projector which is tilted up and down, but with reflector housings, it doesn't quite work the same way.

#25 ·
doesn't matter the point of view it's always clock wise to move up and counter clockwise to move down..

#28 ·
:yeahthat: i think your just trying to over think it...just trust that clock wise is up counter clockwise is down

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.