8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

DIY: Reduce HID glare

66K views 134 replies 80 participants last post by  wolfy47 
#1 ·
I found a way to reduce glare on HID PnP kits. Results may vary.

Normally, the return wire (insulator colour may vary, mines grey) sits at the bottom, however if you insert the HID bulb so it sits like below, then it should reduce the glare.

Left side before:

Left side after:

Right side before:

Right side after:

See less See more
#79 ·
Could be because. the right headlight when alter postion placed the part of the HID bulb on the inside towards the cars center. If the same altercation is done to the left (drivers side) it places HID part towards the outside.

We would have to alter one of the bulbs to fit different for the left side. To plce the HID part on the inside towards the center of the car.

Provided the right side is the better placement.

#16 ·
i just did this, and it took me forever to get the damn bulbs in there.....tru did you manage to get your return wire to sit exactly on top of the bulb while it's in there, i notice in the pics you had up they just kinda were diagonal, i'm wondering if a complete 180 would be an even more drastic effect...hhhmm

#24 ·
I dont think you can get it to sit at the top with the way the bulb's tabs are because the tabs are like at 10, 2 and 6 oclock.
Do we usually HAVE to put make the return wires to sit on the bottom? I never noticed this before.
by design, they do sit. with d2s, they should. its how theyre designed to sit in the housing. but hey, i got pretty ghetto PnP's lol
I checked mine, and one is facing bottom and the other one is facing 9o clock. lol
that doesnt sound right :p
i did this for shits and giggles, hopefully tomorrow mornign when i'm leaving my driveway and driving out i'll be able to see if its done anything diff...(my entire alleyway is lined with fences)
shoulda taken before/after pics :dance:
Hmm... don't think so, since all "OEM" reflector-based HID bulbs are D2R's (they have the black band for cutoff).

And thank you for posting this Karl. It's good to see someone running PNP's who actually cares how their output affects other drivers.
NP, gotta make the best of these till I can fund a full retro :thumb:
How many positions are there to put the bulb in? Wire facing down, Wire facing passegner side, more?

I gonna try to do this by just fitting my hand down there without taking off the fender liners so i gotta do this by feel.
only 3 positions. the return wire either sits at 6oclock position (bottom of bulb), 10, or 2. couldnt get it to go on 2 and 10 did just what i wanted so i stopped there. i do get curious how it would turn out with the wire at the top right though (2oclock) instead of how i have it now (top left, 10 oclock)

and yea, doing the passengers side by feel took me a long time. and my wrist and hand were beat

#77 ·
I tried this with my fog lights (which have HIDs) and the cut off is sharper than that of the IS300 fog lights. But I didnt see any light on the ground, just a yellow horizontal rectangle in front of me on the wall.
It was either the fact that I blacked out the bottom-half of my fog light or the fact that I replaced the oem convex lense with a flat piiece of lexan.

#30 ·
sorry for not having any pictures, but i did manage to manipulate the bulb in so the return wire sits at 12, DO NOT DO IT....if you think a PNP kit had bad glare before, this set up will literally blind oncoming drivers, i couldn't evne tell when i had used my highbeams to flash people....again, 12 o'clock...not worth it

#31 ·
Are you sure you had the bulb all the way seated? I didnt think it was possible to get it at 12 o clock. My friend couldnt get his HIDs fully seated in his Scion TC.... there was no "glare"... but it was like HIGH BEAMS.

How about 10 o clock like OP?

TruFlip, did you do this in your civic? My housing looks different than yours. The shield thing on yours is like an octagon, mine is a circle. And you amber corners are a little different. Maybe you have a coupe? I cant tell.

#33 ·
I don't even want to know how you managed to get the return wire to sit at 12 oclock FijiSan, lol. There's no way the bulb would sit properly in that position. From what I can tell on my coupe, the bulbs return wire will only sit at 6 oclock and 10 oclock. It just wont work any other position unless you jam it in. Once again, results may vary. I did this on a coupe with VVME's HID's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.