DIY: Reduce HID glare - Page 2 - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Honda Civic Do It Yourself Articles > DIY Honda Civic Lighting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2008, 10:58 PM   #21 (permalink)
Six eyes

Jason
Quote:
Originally Posted by FijiSan View Post
well, and somebody plz correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe the return wire also functions as a cutoff shield in a way....IDK why it has to be on the bottom, but....yeah
Hmm... don't think so, since all "OEM" reflector-based HID bulbs are D2R's (they have the black band for cutoff).

And thank you for posting this Karl. It's good to see someone running PNP's who actually cares how their output affects other drivers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2008, 11:22 PM   #22 (permalink)

How many positions are there to put the bulb in? Wire facing down, Wire facing passegner side, more?

I gonna try to do this by just fitting my hand down there without taking off the fender liners so i gotta do this by feel.
asndragonboii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2008, 11:59 PM   #23 (permalink)

justin
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Ro View Post
Hmm... don't think so, since all "OEM" reflector-based HID bulbs are D2R's (they have the black band for cutoff).

And thank you for posting this Karl. It's good to see someone running PNP's who actually cares how their output affects other drivers.
thanks learn something new every day on the 8th
FijiSan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2008, 08:05 AM   #24 (permalink)
VIP Member

karlitO
Quote:
i just did this, and it took me forever to get the damn bulbs in there.....tru did you manage to get your return wire to sit exactly on top of the bulb while it's in there, i notice in the pics you had up they just kinda were diagonal, i'm wondering if a complete 180 would be an even more drastic effect...hhhmm
I dont think you can get it to sit at the top with the way the bulb's tabs are because the tabs are like at 10, 2 and 6 oclock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by inyong1988 View Post
Do we usually HAVE to put make the return wires to sit on the bottom? I never noticed this before.
by design, they do sit. with d2s, they should. its how theyre designed to sit in the housing. but hey, i got pretty ghetto PnP's lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by inyong1988 View Post
I checked mine, and one is facing bottom and the other one is facing 9o clock. lol
that doesnt sound right
Quote:
i did this for ***** and giggles, hopefully tomorrow mornign when i'm leaving my driveway and driving out i'll be able to see if its done anything diff...(my entire alleyway is lined with fences)
shoulda taken before/after pics
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Ro View Post

NP, gotta make the best of these till I can fund a full retro
Quote:
Originally Posted by asndragonboii View Post
How many positions are there to put the bulb in? Wire facing down, Wire facing passegner side, more?

I gonna try to do this by just fitting my hand down there without taking off the fender liners so i gotta do this by feel.
only 3 positions. the return wire either sits at 6oclock position (bottom of bulb), 10, or 2. couldnt get it to go on 2 and 10 did just what i wanted so i stopped there. i do get curious how it would turn out with the wire at the top right though (2oclock) instead of how i have it now (top left, 10 oclock)

and yea, doing the passengers side by feel took me a long time. and my wrist and hand were beat
truflip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2008, 10:25 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by truflip View Post

only 3 positions. the return wire either sits at 6oclock position (bottom of bulb), 10, or 2. couldnt get it to go on 2 and 10 did just what i wanted so i stopped there. i do get curious how it would turn out with the wire at the top right though (2oclock) instead of how i have it now (top left, 10 oclock)

and yea, doing the passengers side by feel took me a long time. and my wrist and hand were beat
You put it at 10 on both sides? It looks like your passenger side is at 11:30
Old 11-15-2008, 10:31 AM   #26 (permalink)
VIP Member

karlitO
11:30 would pretty much locate the return wire at the top of the bulb. I put both sides at 10
Old 11-15-2008, 10:53 AM   #27 (permalink)

Andrew
You could always go extreme and paint the bottom half of the low beam reflector, that will give you a super sharp cutoff, lol.
splew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2008, 10:18 PM   #28 (permalink)

Any more pics from somebody who tried this?
Old 11-17-2008, 10:30 PM   #29 (permalink)

seems like you found something interesting
jackolee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2008, 10:33 PM   #30 (permalink)

justin
sorry for not having any pictures, but i did manage to manipulate the bulb in so the return wire sits at 12, DO NOT DO IT....if you think a PNP kit had bad glare before, this set up will literally blind oncoming drivers, i couldn't evne tell when i had used my highbeams to flash people....again, 12 o'clock...not worth it
FijiSan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2008, 10:43 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
sorry for not having any pictures, but i did manage to manipulate the bulb in so the return wire sits at 12, DO NOT DO IT....if you think a PNP kit had bad glare before, this set up will literally blind oncoming drivers, i couldn't evne tell when i had used my highbeams to flash people....again, 12 o'clock...not worth it
Are you sure you had the bulb all the way seated? I didnt think it was possible to get it at 12 o clock. My friend couldnt get his HIDs fully seated in his Scion TC.... there was no "glare"... but it was like HIGH BEAMS.

How about 10 o clock like OP?

TruFlip, did you do this in your civic? My housing looks different than yours. The shield thing on yours is like an octagon, mine is a circle. And you amber corners are a little different. Maybe you have a coupe? I cant tell.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:48 PM   #32 (permalink)

Andrew
Quote:
Originally Posted by asndragonboii View Post
Are you sure you had the bulb all the way seated? I didnt think it was possible to get it at 12 o clock. My friend couldnt get his HIDs fully seated in his Scion TC.... there was no "glare"... but it was like HIGH BEAMS.

How about 10 o clock like OP?

TruFlip, did you do this in your civic? My housing looks different than yours. The shield thing on yours is like an octagon, mine is a circle. And you amber corners are a little different. Maybe you have a coupe? I cant tell.
He has a coupe, sedans and coupes have different headlights.
splew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2008, 11:00 PM   #33 (permalink)
VIP Member

karlitO
I don't even want to know how you managed to get the return wire to sit at 12 oclock FijiSan, lol. There's no way the bulb would sit properly in that position. From what I can tell on my coupe, the bulbs return wire will only sit at 6 oclock and 10 oclock. It just wont work any other position unless you jam it in. Once again, results may vary. I did this on a coupe with VVME's HID's.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:21 PM   #34 (permalink)

the return wire is suppose to be on the bottom from all the diy's and installation guides i've been reading
thekhmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2008, 08:49 PM   #35 (permalink)
VIP Member

karlitO
That is the correct position so yea, it is supposed to be there, lol. Did you read the thread?
Old 11-18-2008, 10:37 PM   #36 (permalink)

Ethan
yeah... tried this and no, my bulbs only go in one way
Red_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2008, 11:04 PM   #37 (permalink)

i dont get this
08taffetawhite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2008, 11:14 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08taffetawhite View Post
i dont get this
What dont you get?
Old 11-18-2008, 11:15 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Devil View Post
yeah... tried this and no, my bulbs only go in one way
Really? I'm gonna try it tomorrow on my driver's side... hopefullly its not to hard to get the coolant resvr back in.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:22 PM   #40 (permalink)
VIP Member

karlitO
just move the battery out of the way (loosen the battery tie down, unhook the metal hook from the bottom of battery) and you got much more room to work with. takes 2-3 minutes. 4 minutes if you want to remove the battery altogether.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.