8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

just lexan'd my fogs. tips/tricks & info inside

16K views 30 replies 21 participants last post by  06Hondacivicsi 
#1 ·
have to say.... it wasnt difficult at all, just time consuming. With work, dinner, and shower it took an hour and 45 minuites.

Warning: you have to take off your bumper for this so plan in advance w/ extra tools, and a soft pad to lay your bumper on.

i used: DIY: So You Cracked Your Fogs? Fix it! - Honda Civic DIYs and Civic Tech Chat - Honda Civic Forum to talk me thru it and it was very easy.

Tip: Just break the glass because its a b!tch to get out of the housing. I broke the glass and used needlenose pliers to pull off the excess glass shards and pull out the silicon in the crevice.

USE LEATHER GLOVES!

I cut a rough oval of the lexan with a jig saw and sanded it down to fit with a belt sander.

im liking the fact that ill never have a broken fog light again...unless i effed up the silicon seal which i doubt.

If youre thinking about doing this...DO IT! Its such a good idea so you dont have a fog go out because of a rock.

Cost:
1- 8 x 10 Lexan Polycarbonite sheet (@home depot) = 5.00
1- Tube CLEAR Silicon = 4.00
Grand Total= 9.00 :woowoo:

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice write up, and I need to do this as one of my fogs is cracked. However, does the plastic come in yellow? I'm guessing even if it does I am going to need to replace both lenses to match.

I also heard this plastic melts with the heat of the bulb. Any issues so far?

#15 ·
cleared mine this weekend. Wasn't too bad. Took about 3 hours to remove the bumper, take out the fogs, break out the glass, clean out the old silicone, trace the housing, cut the lexan, trim the lexan to fit better, apply silicone, put in lexan, put fogs back in and oh yea I almost forgot, install my HFP lip while the bumper was off. Then reinstall bumper. Worked out nicely. Like the clean look on my ASM instead of the yellow.

#29 ·
i already have yellow overlay for the fogs but the way you described the diy seemed like a bit more work than need be. couldnt you just trace the lens with a piece of paper and cut the overlay to the shape and then apply?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

#30 ·
if you want yellow, spray them or get overlays. As far as melting, halogen bulbs run hot as hell! Mine were on for like 10 mins tops and they were torched. I replaced mine with LEDs. LEDs will be 100% for style and basically non-functional as real fogs since LEDs don't project lighting...i.e that's why we don't use them as headlights. White LEDs have a bluish tint to them, just fyi. I did them with yellow lenses and my fogs look greenish. And I actually like the green look :dance:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.