8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

DIY - Make 7440 Chrome Bulb Fit Taillight

17K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  Juan_Cheese 
#1 ·
I ordered the Pilot (Xenon Chromes Cromados XC-7440A) chrome amber bulbs to find out that they have a plastic bracket on them. The orignal bulb was all glass and the chrome bulb did not fit in snug. The bulb kinda just sat in the socket about to fall out if I hit a bump or anything. So I decided to trim the plastic bracket like others mentioned in another thread. I took some pics for anyone who was interested. :rolleyes:

You will have to shave off with a dremel or any other tool, the square piece on each side of the bulbs...

Protect the chrome while shaving the plastic...

Here is the finished product...

Pic of the chrome bulb on left and the origanal on the right when parked...

On the left is the chrome bulb lit and on right is the orignal bulb lit...

Hope that helps anybodies interest in adding chrome rear bulbs :thumb:

See less See more
#5 ·
You obviously don't get this for any performance or lighting gain. In fact, you'd stand to LOSE a little light as the silver coat is not exactly as transparent as a plain orange bulb would be.

All it really does is add a nice even color to the back of the car, instead of seeing the amber bulb.

#7 ·
Izzy said:
You obviously don't get this for any performance or lighting gain. In fact, you'd stand to LOSE a little light as the silver coat is not exactly as transparent as a plain orange bulb would be.

All it really does is add a nice even color to the back of the car, instead of seeing the amber bulb.
Pretty much what Izzy just explained... as far as brightness... close to the same but the chrome is slightly less (seems to not be as solid when lit)... but still looks good and is legal. The bulbs were like $7 CAN each... which wasnt too bad for the clean look I was goin for :laughing:

#18 ·
no you can not bro.

the turn signal bulbs get hot while they are one... now.. if their just used at a blinker... they dont get that hot during the day.. but at night.. they are on with your head lights.. so they will heat up.. and melt the chrome.. or worse.. the bulb could explode.. and start to burn/ melt your headlight...

(experiment)
- spray paint.. or spray chrome on a house hold light bulb. place it in a old lamp... turn it on.. watch what happens..
Note- that will take a few minutes to heat up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.