Homemade Icebox Intake - Page 8 - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Honda Civic Do It Yourself Articles > DIY Honda Civic Engine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2008, 06:10 PM   #141 (permalink)

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaidenSI View Post
this is a good mod to do i got 10 WHP from doing this and throttle body bypass and K&N air filter
noob? but what do you mean?
White Knight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2008, 07:36 PM   #142 (permalink)

Myke
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
noob? but what do you mean?
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/engin...lant-pass.html
RaidenSI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2008, 10:23 PM   #143 (permalink)

phil
my friend and i have been talking about making our own intakes and i am going to try and find a way to put a cone filter in the air box and run the stock piping down to cold air minus the resonator...wat do u guys think? possible?
akronmusician413 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2008, 10:43 PM   #144 (permalink)

Myke
its possible but when u cut the resonator offit oval not round so might have to do some modification
Old 08-19-2008, 11:14 PM   #145 (permalink)

phil
no im saying trying to put the cone filter in the existing air filter box so u dont have a panel filter and the box is like a heat shield
akronmusician413 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2008, 11:18 PM   #146 (permalink)

Myke
anything is possible
Old 08-20-2008, 12:38 AM   #147 (permalink)

John
Quote:
thanks gonna do that soon too.
White Knight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2009, 06:50 PM   #148 (permalink)

I did something similar to this setup on my old camaro. You will have to watch your filter because it gets very dirty, very quickly compared to stock.
Southernace76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2009, 07:56 PM   #149 (permalink)

Justin aka Mr. JT
not if you have a foglight blocking dirt from comming in its not that dirty......just checked it this past thursday.....
fiji06si13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2009, 09:06 PM   #150 (permalink)

Myke
i have my foglights cut out and replaced with mesh. and my filter is fine.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:16 PM   #151 (permalink)

ghetto fabulous
just to re-comment about this, i don't understand why any of you would want to do this. stock intake pulls air from the fender, which is already much cooler than the engine bay. IF you connected a tube and ran that to the bumper opening, THEN this mod would be worth doing. that way, you would be able to force some cooler air into the intake. but the risk of doing that is hydrolocking during the rain. even though there is some vents in the intake, reducing your air intake volume from 100% capability to something like 5% i don't think is good for your engine. on another note, this mod would be great with the new ct-engineering intake heat shield and an intake duct running to the bumper opening. i will have my intake duct routed to the front bumper opening to the end of the tube in this thread, routing cooler air to the engine bay from the front of the car. i should have a video of what this looks like later when i'm finished. AND, i will be able to monitor the differences in the IAT because i have capabilities to measure it so I'll actually know for sure if that duct created cooler air or not.
20civic07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2009, 09:53 PM   #152 (permalink)

Justin aka Mr. JT
I almost fell asleep reading all of this......I work on cars for a living and obviously you don't know much about your car.... Comptech makes an intake that is just like this only it has a metal filter housing... it stops in the same spot.... And you also don't know that our intake doesn't get air from fender it gets it from the engine bay the stock one comes up just in front of the battery....and my intake with the mods don't put the inlet in the engine bay.....its in front of the fenderwell.......

all aftermarket CAI's put the filter in same spot.....

Last edited by fiji06si13; 02-15-2009 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:53 PM   #153 (permalink)

ghetto fabulous
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiji06si13 View Post
I almost fell asleep reading all of this......I work on cars for a living and obviously you don't know much about your car.... Comptech makes an intake that is just like this only it has a metal filter housing... it stops in the same spot.... And you also don't know that our intake doesn't get air from fender it gets it from the engine bay when you but it back to stock it comes up just in front of the battery....and our intakes with this mod don't put the inlet in the engine bay.....its in front of the fenderwell.......

all aftermarket CAI's put the filter in same spot.....
if you work on cars for a living, you may consider another job because what you are talking about has nothing to do with the mechanic part of an automobile, rather the engineering design. and the stock intake does take air from the fender. if you think otherwise, you are either retarded or blind. your argument of saying comptech has an intake similar to this gives no justification to your part. ct-engineering just came out with an intake for our car that utilizes stock tubing except the top and bottom portion of the filter housing. it makes no sense to connect the bottom part of the intake tube to the rest of the intake because it is not generating any vacuum to suck air from the fender. i am finished arguing with you because you think i know nothing about cars.
20civic07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2009, 09:00 AM   #154 (permalink)

Justin aka Mr. JT
ok I took a second look it does go into fender just behind battery...

Last edited by fiji06si13; 02-15-2009 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:14 AM   #155 (permalink)

Justin aka Mr. JT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20civic07 View Post
i am finished arguing with you because you think i know nothing about cars.
the intake from Comptech that you refer to is the High flow intake I am talking about the ICE BOX intake.....

I never said you knew nothing about cars...You just need to get your facts straight....plus there is no need for the name calling....

Like in the mugen intake it stops in the exact spot as my setup. Look in supplied pick its all the same parts but some are metal. so they don't know how to design intakes???

Mugen setup..... piece circled is the same as what I did they removed the box and where they removed it is where the air come in like mine......
[IMG]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e122/****yboy13/272.jpg[/IMG]

the next 3 pictures are the same piece as the one circled in the mugen....thiers is a little longer thats why i added the end piece from where the stock one sits to extend it.....you also don't know that the bottom of the car has openings for air to come in thats cool fresh air just pouring right in.... if you look in my thread you will see final shots of it inside car some of them are from underneath the car...

Oh and this guy is an engineer and he likes my mod maybe you can talk to him about my setup since you think its garbage along with any aftermarket CAI that puts the air filter right in the same location behind the fog light........

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD_mild_mods View Post
Yes, it is possible on an R18. I did basically the same thing on my EX. The resonator tubing is different, but it's the same idea. For the DX/LX/EX you will have to take the battery out to remove the down tube bracket. There are two bolts that sit right under the battery tray. Also, the R18 has a snorkel tube that sits to the right of the battery. You will have to twist about 1/4 turn and pull to get it off. I hacked the resonator box off right at the base of the tube and reattached the tubing to the down tube. It puts the opening just in front of the fender well. With a K&N drop-in filter, there is a nice boost in pickup and a subtle increase in sound at mid-to-full throttle. I would imagine it will sound a bit louder with an aftermarket exhaust. The stock exhaust is way too tame sounding. No clue how much power gain it will give you. Probably 3-5hp for the K&N and resonator removal together.

For all of those who are scared to cut the tubing, you can buy a complete replacement resonator box for less than $30 from hondaautomotiveparts.com. That's a whole lot cheaper than getting a CAI and changing your mind later.

PS- I'm a big fan of DIY stuff (and I am an engineer). Keep up the good work fiji06si13.
this guy also dyno'd my setup i have every mod he has including throttle body bypass and K&N drop in....
Quote:
this is a good mod to do i got 10 WHP from doing this and throttle body bypass and K&N air filter

Last edited by fiji06si13; 02-15-2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:26 AM   #156 (permalink)

Derick
good read.
Debo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2009, 10:31 AM   #157 (permalink)

Justin aka Mr. JT
thanx......
Old 02-24-2009, 02:27 AM   #158 (permalink)

how are you guys intake doin now? i just cleaned mines and damn the car sounds better and response feels even better now... my cousin actually asked me what kind of cold air intake i was running? i laugh and told him its custom intake
strCIVIC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2009, 06:35 PM   #159 (permalink)

Justin aka Mr. JT
Quote:
Originally Posted by strCIVIC View Post
how are you guys intake doin now? i just cleaned mines and damn the car sounds better and response feels even better now... my cousin actually asked me what kind of cold air intake i was running? i laugh and told him its custom intake
It good here.....love the way the car feels...
Old 03-02-2009, 02:56 AM   #160 (permalink)

I took it a step further and transformed the resonator into a scoop. It feels incredible during normal driving and a bit more anxious under aggressive acceleration. There's no fog hole so the air is ultra clean... K&N drop is also installed. I'll be running this with a shorty header by next week. Mugen cat-back of course. OEM fitment is great too... Sorry for the crap photos...

UnlimitedSi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.