*DIY-HONDATA IMG Install-Q Style - Page 5 - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Honda Civic Do It Yourself Articles > DIY Honda Civic Engine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2007, 07:05 PM   #81 (permalink)

G
We just finished the install but when we turn the key to the "on" position (not turning the car on), the CEL comes on and blinks 5 times and then turns off. Now the only thing we can think of is because we didnt relocate the ground from the fuel rail...would that be the reason, or do the 5 blinks mean something else?
HanCivicSI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2007, 07:28 PM   #82 (permalink)

Greg
Quote:
Originally Posted by HanCivicSI
We just finished the install but when we turn the key to the "on" position (not turning the car on), the CEL comes on and blinks 5 times and then turns off. Now the only thing we can think of is because we didnt relocate the ground from the fuel rail...would that be the reason, or do the 5 blinks mean something else?
It's not the rail ground and I don't understand why people relocate this ground?? I understand Hondata says so but it really makes no sense when you still have 8 bolts as your ground.
k20z3civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2007, 10:05 PM   #83 (permalink)

G
Quote:
Originally Posted by k20z3civic
It's not the rail ground and I don't understand why people relocate this ground?? I understand Hondata says so but it really makes no sense when you still have 8 bolts as your ground.
I was having the same debate with some buddies helping me out. I do have the car in pieces but all sensors and everything else are all buttoned up. Headlights are out, bumper is still off....other than that everything else is tight. Just to make sure, I triple checked all plugs fittings etc. After warming the engine up, the car ran fine. I'm stumped.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:13 PM   #84 (permalink)

G
Just to clarify...when I turn the key forward two clicks, not starting, the system test starts. After about 15 seconds, the engine light flashes 5 times then goes off. When I start the car, the engine light does not come on. Hope this helps.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:11 PM   #85 (permalink)
I Beez In The Trap

Jordan
i honestly have no idea bro. i'd do a search for cel's and if that doesn't turn up anything, start a new thread in the mechanical problems section. i didn't have this issue...
Qshooter151 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2007, 12:18 AM   #86 (permalink)

G
BTW, repped for the install instructions. There were a few different things on my car vs your car but mostly the same.

I'm still looking for the CEL codes but the closest I could get (older model) was that 5 blinks when the key is turned forward may indicate a manifold air pressure sensor is reading too high or too low. How would it know that if I haven't even started the engine? I know I know, I'll start another thread on this. Just wanted to give you props on this DIY.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:34 AM   #87 (permalink)
I Beez In The Trap

Jordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HanCivicSI
BTW, repped for the install instructions. There were a few different things on my car vs your car but mostly the same.

I'm still looking for the CEL codes but the closest I could get (older model) was that 5 blinks when the key is turned forward may indicate a manifold air pressure sensor is reading too high or too low. How would it know that if I haven't even started the engine? I know I know, I'll start another thread on this. Just wanted to give you props on this DIY.
thanks man...it's cool to post about it in here, it happened after you installed your IMG. i just figured you'd get a better response in the other section w/ a new thread. keep us posted about this issue cuz i'm sure you won't be the last to run into it and whatever you find out can benefit those who do...
Old 09-12-2007, 10:50 PM   #88 (permalink)
Kansas Chainsaw Massacre

Erik
I just did this project today, after reading this DIY completely. Q, damn good write-up.

I didn't remove the front bracket, I didn't want to deal with that, I just struggled with various extensions and funny angles, because I figured that would take just as long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentrecords
Thanks for the write up.. exactly what I ended up doing with that clamp. I ended up using a dremel to get the original off!!!

I wish I'd seen the recommendation (or at least thought of it) to remove that front bracket.. getting at a few of those bolts was a real challenge.. to say the least.

the left bolt coming out of the block had to be shaved by a thread or so simply to get the manifold off. Great write up man, you have rep.
I used the dremel idea as well. thanks for that tidbit! I almost had to shave the left bolt as well, but I was able to twist the Intake manifold up and counterclockwise enough that it finally came loose.

I didn't bypass any coolant lines, and I don't notice any difference in temperature of the IM between how it used to be and how it is now. What lines did you guys bypass, or reroute? anyone have a picture?
ErichPryde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2007, 10:06 PM   #89 (permalink)

Qshooter gave me some support over AIM for getting the manifold off but now it is putting it on that is the problem. Fighting between the two studs, that black bar underneath, and the engine mount thing on the left that prevents the studs from lining up it is hard to get it back on.
Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2007, 08:15 AM   #90 (permalink)
I Beez In The Trap

Jordan
sorry i couldn't hang witcha any longer man. how'd you make out???
Old 09-22-2007, 10:59 PM   #91 (permalink)

George
I just did the install today and had the same problem on my 07 sedan. I disconnected the negative terminal of the battery but first make sure you have your radio code. Makes no sense to get rid of your CEL on not be able to listen to your radio.

I left the negative off for about 5 minutes, after which I reconnected it. Turn your car on and let it sit idling for about 30 minutes. I've been driving all day and have no CEL. I hope this works for you
DakidzSi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2007, 08:59 PM   #92 (permalink)
garage queen

rich
Where did yall get the Hondata gasket from? Looks like none of sponsors on here sell it...
asdf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2007, 06:57 AM   #93 (permalink)

George
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf
Where did yall get the Hondata gasket from? Looks like none of sponsors on here sell it...
Got mine from Corsport. Same product and they are very good at getting it to you fast.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:02 AM   #94 (permalink)
I Beez In The Trap

Jordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf
got mine from Hondata when my ecu was reflashed...

http://www.hondata.com/
Old 09-27-2007, 02:48 PM   #95 (permalink)

Ozzie
Just purchased the gasket myself and i will be following your DIY but i had one question. i am going to use a torque wrench can you tell me at how many pounds of pressure i need to install the bolts? if anyone knows please can you tell me, thanks.
ozfizzle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2007, 02:15 PM   #96 (permalink)

George
I believe it's 16ft/lbs for IM and TB bolts.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:09 PM   #97 (permalink)

Ok, finally uploaded pictures off my camera and was reminded of this...

This is a lifesaver. Please get a pair of locking pliers and use them to grab and keep those clips open. You know that tricky clip under the manifold? No problem with locking pliers. Not only do they let you grab onto it but they let you move the clip with both hands while the pliers keep it open for you.
Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2007, 01:40 PM   #98 (permalink)

Panda
Awesome write up !
nese005 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2007, 03:01 PM   #99 (permalink)

G
Sorry, haven't been here for a while since the IMG install. I drove my car for a short time but could not get rid of the CEL. It was too late to do anything else so I crossed my fingers, loaded up and took off for the Tail of the Dragon Meet. Luckily, nothing happened. After my first stop to fill up, I tested it again and it had cleared! I've noticed since the TB and IMG installs, I get a noticable increase in gas mileage. Not much, but enough over the course of a full tank.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:12 PM   #100 (permalink)

Matt Da Silva
Here was mine all apart, but I ported the intake and polished the inside along with cutting the access alum ,used stock gasket looks like it might off been easier taking the front apart :P

Matauz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.