8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

DIY: Horn/Bumper Removal

117K views 125 replies 96 participants last post by  harrydamian 
#1 ·
for some odd reason, my thread got disappeared....

so here goes again

anyone annoyed by the whimpy horn?? I am and I did something about it. lol

**this requires removing the bumper and the car to be raised or on a ramp**

1) unscrew (phillips head) on each side of the fender

2) I don't have a picture of this but YOU need to take off the clips on the bottom that holds the bumper. NO clips need to come off from the splash guard and the wheels can stay on the car during this procedure.

3) take off the grill cover by taking (2) outer clips(pins..whatever they are called) off and then (2) inner ones

4) this will expose the screws for the grill which requires hex/torx bit or flat head if this will fit.

5)then PULL on the very corner of the bumper. it will come out like so...

6) ** this is for re-installation** The bumper cover goes over the black metal bar that holds the headlamp

7)

8)take the horn off with a 12mm Socket and also undo the wiring harness

9)Here is a picture of the horns installed. I used the hardware it came with and only required piece of wire for the positive terminal

10)I used the splicer to connect to the existing wiring and covered the open end of the harness with a electrical tape

Questions and Comments welcomed :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for the post. If nothing else, it was nice to see your pics showing how easily the front comes off the car.

The stock horn is pretty rediculous, isn't it. I had been driving my car for about a week after I bought it and suddenly found reason to honk at someone who had pulled out in front of me. The sound of it made me laugh so hard that I forgot about the idiot I was honking at. Maybe I should keep mine...it helps my road-rage problem.

#13 ·
CB450SC said:
Hi
Great post! I am thinking of doing this horn mod. The one part I am unsure of is the splicer. Is that the light blue conection in the pic? If so, how does it work, how do you install it and where do you get it.
Thanks for your help
CB450SC
Some people call them vampire splices. They have them at Home Depot, auto parts stores, usually in the electrical area. Basically, one side has 1 slot, the other side has 2. The main wire goes into the 1 slot side and the 2 wires you're connecting go into the other side. There is a metal "tooth" that, depending on the gauge of the wire, you may need to crimp down. The tooth cuts into all of the wires and provides a bridge for the electrical current between the main source and all subsequent sources. It makes more sense when you look at it. :)

#17 ·
Thanks much! I bought a 2-horn set (high and low pitch) for my '06 sedan about a month ago but didn't exactly know how to get to the old one behind the grill.
I've had to use mine too (why do people try to occupy the same piece of road as me?) and the wimpy horn is very embarassing, not to mention dangerous.

#21 ·
dbg1234 said:
question regarding the clips under the bumper...are they the same as the fender cover clips? ie u ply out the middle part, then the outer ring?

Cuz I tried doing that and I chipped a little piece of plastic off the middle but still unable to remove it.
Yea, you pop out the middle and the whole thing pulls right out. Most of the time. I chipped a couple too!
The following link takes you to the thread where I've posted pics and sound samples (scroll to bottom): CLICK HERE

#28 ·
hey the fit is utilitarian really, a functional but cute vehicle, the si is a sports cars, and real sports cars often have wimpy horns, i guess to embody lightness etc. Think of like a ferrari for example, esp older models. you've got the exaust to send out some real noise.

-Spargo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.