Running power wire to trunk - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Honda Civic Do It Yourself Articles > DIY Honda Civic Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2008, 10:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Running power wire to trunk

This is the way I ran my 4ga wire, A 0/1 should be able to do the same except where I went through the plastic in the engine compartment, you might have to drill,

Step 1,

Open engine compartment and remove side trim on the driverside.

Step 2

Under the driverside dash on the side of the car is a plug, pull out the plug and run your wire through it into the sealed fender of your car, push as much wire through as you can untill you can reach it from the engine compartment, you may need a hanger or grab tool to get the wire. Make sure you cut a hole in the plug and run the wire through it (use a grommet if your wiring kit had one) then replace the plug, nothing worse than a draft.

Step 3

Remove clip over your trunk lock, and remove the panels, be carful of the center pillar, inside it is the airbag sensor(not that you could set it off but if you damage it it might not work when you want it) and remove your rear panels, now you can either pull the seat out or just push the wire through the space into the trunk.

there is a space to run the wire when this is removed,

And voila Power to the trunk, with no drilling, or altering of any metal or material in your car except the plug.

This is what you get after all the work lol.

I hope this helps, if any of the pics need to be better just ask I'll go out and take some more with panels off etc.

I hope this post isn't too long. sorry if it is

I had this posted Before and people keep askin about it so I figured I'd start a new thread with just this post, If the moderators want to add it to the DIY go to it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2008, 10:22 AM   #2 (permalink)

3bood aka Addy aka Bo dawood
Will the civic actually handle all the power for the two amps and subs ?!
xheartcore_boyx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2008, 10:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

Haven't had problem yet, but I do have two 1 Farad caps hooked to my 1001.2 clarion amp, just had my second service the other day too they said charging system is mint so its handling it just fine. I'll let you know when I upgrade some stuff this summer, I'm thinkin of goin retarted lol.
SkunkSpray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2008, 10:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

3bood aka Addy aka Bo dawood
^^^

You lucky thing =\ ...

i used to have 1200watt sub and 760 amp from pioneer ..

they caused problems in the car electricity and honda made me return it all stock or they void my warranty ..

what the hell =\
xheartcore_boyx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2008, 10:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

first thing I did was "will this void my warranty" speech to the warranty guy, and as long as I don't hack the actual wires in the powering sytsem themselves Its good. If I didn't have the caps my car would probably shut off, the big one at full power will draw almost 80 amps lol, so without the caps it would overun the alternator. I will always recommend Caps with any amp no matter how big or small, they recommend 1 Farrad per 1000w, but more the better is the way I go, I don't have one on my small amp but when I do an overhaul I probably will ad a few. When I hit hard I dim a bit, so I could actually use another cap probably but its almost unnoticable.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Chris "DJ Disturbed"
If I'm running that much power I like to have a 2nd battery.
djdisturbed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2008, 04:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

who cares
how u did that amp stand did you use any screws?? to mount that wood or what ever on the sides

Last edited by suthakar; 03-29-2008 at 04:20 PM.
suthakar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2008, 04:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

Chris "DJ Disturbed"
If i were you I would put a Auto audio circuit breaker on the main line you are running to the back near the battery connection, This will add an extra level of saftey to the system and also act an a cut off poinbt if you need to be jump started to you dont accidently fry anything (and also run a 2nd battery-like an optima yellow top hidden behind one of the amps in the trunk is realy good if you are running that large of a line back there anyway).
Old 03-29-2008, 10:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

the amp stand is mdf screws and carpet lol, a second battery doesn't usually help that much unless you upgrade your alternator, or install second alternator, your better off buying a few more caps, due to the fact that the alt will have to charge two batteries causing more draw on itself. As for a circuit breaker, there is a fuse block less than 12 inches away from battery, I just didn't put pics in cause hopefully everyone knows to use a fuse. besides it was just the running of the cable that I was trying to show.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

Chris "DJ Disturbed"
Well..... you DONT need a 2nd alternator for a 2nd battery, I used to have bass comp set up and ran a 2nd battery and NEVER had to add a second alternator for it, now if i had more then just the second battery then i would have to add one or more. BUT that also depends on your current alternators output and you can always put a better output alternator in instead of adding a second one. BUT its much better then just using caps alone. I had an issue with killing my main battery with caps alone in my old vehicle, but with a second battery installed i never had an issue and the bass was alot cleaner. But then again, if you are not running that much power then its no big deal. I was pushing 1600 watts out of one amp (in mono) and 800x4 in the other amp.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:19 AM   #11 (permalink)

WHAT IS A CAPACITOR GOOD FOR?

1. Audio Jewelry- impress chicks with large cylindrical shiny thingy
2. Extra weight in winter time
3. A very POOR... BUT expensive distribution block
4. A projectile in the event of a crash
5. Rolling pin--for cooking purposes
6. A neat thing to tell your friend, "..Hey man, lick the top of this..

WHY?? READ:

WHY DO PEOPLE BUY CAPACITORS?

The number 1 reason would have to be because their lights dim when their
system is playing HARD. In car audio, we are told that a capacitor is
designed to prevent the voltage drop associated with your lights dimming.
The number2 reason is that it is rumored to 'improve' sound quality or
'stiffen' the power supply/source.

WHY DO MY LIGHTS DIM?

Headlights brightness is in direct proportion to the source voltage. For
instance, if your car is running, system voltage is ~12.5 -14.4 VOLTS. Your
lights will be much brighter than when your car is turned off--where battery
voltage is ~12V. Most car alternators put out between 75 to 120 amps of
current. When this current draw threshold of the charging system is
exceeded, system voltage will drop as power demands are now shared by the
alternator and the storage devices (battery & cap). We are using battery
reserves beyond this point until the demand lessens

When playing your system really hard. Your lights dim because your
alternator can't keep up it's charging voltage (around 13.5V) and therefore,
demand exceeds output. When this happens, your electronic devices are
dipping into the power storage of the battery. Since the battery stores
power at ~ 12-12.5V, there is a 1.3 to 1.8V drop in voltage available. This
in turn is why your lights dim down.

HOW MUCH POWER DOES A CAPACITOR STORE?

1 Farad = 100 joules or 100W/second
850cca battery = ~2,200,000 farads

For storage purposes, you'd need ~2,200 1 Farad capacitors to equal the energy of your battery.

Due to its impedence (ESR & ESL), a cap's energy is only 50% available. What's worse, is that in order for a 1 Farad cap to discharge, first the alternator output must have maxed out, and the voltage must have dropped around 1.5 volts. But I thought a cap was supposed to prevent that (voltage drop)!!!!!????? Yep, you got the point.

IF A BATTERY = 2,200 CAPS, THEN WHY BUY A (PUNY) CAP?

My question exactly. Marketing is the reason why people buy caps. In many cases, upgrading wiring will help your system get the maximum transfer of current. Once that has been reached, adding a capacitor may have a minor effect on your system. 50W over the course of a second is not a lot of power considering an amplifier may draw 2000W to put out 1400 watts. Let's look at the situation from a resources standpoint.

These were copied from other forum..

Last edited by aeroes; 04-05-2008 at 12:21 AM.
aeroes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2008, 03:43 AM   #12 (permalink)

ghetto fabulous
if i could rep, i would rep you, thank you so much for the install! i know there is another one out there, but your location for the power cable seems more accessible to drill.
20civic07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2008, 05:24 PM   #13 (permalink)

Didn't have to drill at all just cut slit in rubber grommet.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:01 PM   #14 (permalink)

Derek
Hey thanks man i wanted to run mine on the driver side currently its on the passenger
runeknight95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2008, 11:48 PM   #15 (permalink)

chris
I drilled a hole through my firewall. I wish I could've saw this post beforehand I used another guy's post to run my power cable from engine bay to trunk =(. I couldn't get a grommet to coat the hole because our cars have double firewall one inside the interior and another going through the engine bay. So drilling through this took some extra muscle LOL. Is it safe to have no grommet there? Since I don't want to remove any wires and the time it took me to pull that wire from the very bottom where I drilled a hole can I just improvise and use something like duck tape to coat the hole? What kind of issues can I run into since there is no coating around the hole?
gr3yEX1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2008, 01:38 PM   #16 (permalink)

Chris "DJ Disturbed"
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr3yEX1 View Post
I drilled a hole through my firewall. I wish I could've saw this post beforehand I used another guy's post to run my power cable from engine bay to trunk =(. I couldn't get a grommet to coat the hole because our cars have double firewall one inside the interior and another going through the engine bay. So drilling through this took some extra muscle LOL. Is it safe to have no grommet there? Since I don't want to remove any wires and the time it took me to pull that wire from the very bottom where I drilled a hole can I just improvise and use something like duck tape to coat the hole? What kind of issues can I run into since there is no coating around the hole?
no, its not safe to not have a grommet b/c the sharp edge of the hole will wear the coating off the wire and cause it to short out, or even cause a fire. the grommet keeps this from happening b/c it keeps the sharp edge from cutting into the wire coating. If you cant find a grommet to fit, find you local communications shop (like places that sells $ installs 2 way commercial radios, police radio's and lights and stuff) and talk to the install manager or the guys in the shop, they will normally have a grommet that will fit (i know I used to work at one, they should have like 10-20 diff types of grommets to fit all size holes and all thickness of firewalls)

Last edited by djdisturbed; 07-24-2008 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:20 PM   #17 (permalink)

chris
hmm thanks..yeah it's pretty dangerous I can see that. I'm gonna try to do a custom coating then so my wire doesn't get bruised up.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:08 PM   #18 (permalink)

chris
I changed my mind I'll run the wire like this guy did through that rubber grommet. What sucks is now I have 2 holes there where my passengers footwell is but I will try to wrap that up with duck tape and that should do the trick.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:15 PM   #19 (permalink)

chris
Alright! I was able to fit the grommet that came with my wiring kit and wrapped the power cable going through the engine bay with wire looms. From there I taped them with electrical tape and used zip ties. Now it makes my wiring look like factory =) It's so cool how a simple protection like wire looms makes a cleaner install. As for the rest in the interior I coated the BIG hole with duct tape and even wrapped the power cable with duct tape for superior protection.

Now I can rest assured everything won't short circuit or catch on fire. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:22 PM   #20 (permalink)

MAN!!!!
I wish I knew this sooner. I drilled through the frame. broke 4 drill bits. had to make the hole the size of a quarter to run my 0 guage
jackolee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.