8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

2006 Civic Front Speaker Installation

255K views 217 replies 149 participants last post by  hamhead 
#1 ·
front speaker installation guide can be found here

Front Speakers

#186 ·
To be honest; I swapped out my stock fronts and backs with 6.5 kickers. Not much of a difference. If anything don't bother with the back ones, only do the fronts. I think you'd need a new headunit and amp to really see a good gain in quality and volume.

My high's are a bit better though overall. my 2 cents :)

#187 ·
agreed.. didn't notice much of a difference after swapping my fronts and an aftermarket head unit... I don't think it makes a big difference unless you get an amplifier for higher end speakers.... the oem replacements do, however, allow you to have the volume higher without distortion/damaging the speakers as it has higher power handling.

#190 ·
Awesome write up... it helped me immensely. Here are two things I noticed that may help some others:

1. "The final step before the panel is completely removed from the door is to disconnect the door latch from the panel. To disconnect the latch from the door, apply pressure on the inside of the door panel, forcing the latch outward. I just give it a good whack. It should dislodge fairly easily and then you need to rotate it 90 degrees and push it through the hole."

See this picture:

the red circles are the tabs that go around the handle. By simple pinching a couple of these, the handle pops right out. No need to pop it... (I know some were having problems dislodging it).

2. "The door is now ready to be removed. I differ from several others in my methodology so I let you know of that now. I for one do not use panel poppers when working with the car door. For some cars, a panel popper is a necessity but with the Honda Civic, you are able to remove the door without the need of the panel popper. In order to remove the panel from the door, locate the lip at the base of the door. Insert your fingers under this lip and pull towards your body. You are working against about 10 fasteners so it may take a good yank. This is ok."

see this image:

I was having problems getting my fat fingers into the seam at the bottom. What I found was that the seam at the point where the x and y axis of the door meet is really easy to manipulate and made it easy to pop the panel.

Awesome write up.

THANKS!

#198 ·
2008 Honda Civic SI Sedan

Just did my 08 Civic SI Sedan front speaker replacements today! Bought the car with a blown drivers side speaker so I replaced both. Below is a list of items I used and a few pictures showing what I used.

Speaker Adapter : Car Amps Honda/Acura 6.5" Speaker Ring (Link)
Speaker Harness/Adapter (Makes it PNP for new speaker.) : Metra 72-7800 (Link)
Speakers : Kicker CS65 (Link)
Tools Used : Phillips Screwdriver / Flat head.

First, the aftermarket speakers are actually shorter in width/height whatever you want to call it so you will have no problems there. Picture shows speaker inside of new speaker ring.

Second, if you do not want any rattle and not sure what to use as sound deadening/vibration prevention then just use your OEM speaker gaskets on your new rings, they fit perfectly fine if using the same rings I am. Just take your time and take em off, put them on and use super glue to hold them into place on the ring since once they are screwed on the gaskets aren't going anywhere. Just trim the gasket as needed since it'll be stretched by the time you get it off the old speaker ring. This alone is enough to deaden/prevent vibration.

Third, on the front of the speaker ring I used some thin foam padding type stuff (lol) with hot glue to keep into place. NOTE : For anyone using my speaker/ring combo, you have to first mount the the speaker ring onto the door first so that the top screw clears before you mount the speaker. The metal ring on the speaker cover covers the top mount screw for the speaker ring so install speaker ring, put screw, screw in and then mount speaker.

Fourth, this harness should be used since it makes life easier and you won't have to splice OEM speaker harness. It's retarded cheap and if you can't/won't buy this adapter you shouldn't upgrade your speakers. Harness should be plugged onto speaker and then plugged onto oem harness. plugging onto oem harness and then plugging onto new speaker is annoying, IMO anyway.

Other info : If you get all the screws off and can't get the door panel off, the black fastener to the side of the screw in the handle must come out as well. If you yank hard enough it'll come out. Also if you do DO NOT want to disconnect the wires for your door handle, just yank the door panel off and get two jack stands to support the door panel while you install your speaker. Speaker install should take less than 10 minutes once door panel is off.

Door Panel Removal : Take screw out of door handle, super easy. The other screw is under your window/lock control unit. I just stuck a flat head in between and slowly pry up. Once a few clips come un-done, just use your hands and it should come out easily.

Speaker Removal : Once you get your door panel off, take off the single screw and (what I did) use a flat heat to pry from the top. My speaker just didn't fall off when I try to pull it forward. It felt glued on but once you get a flat heat in between it comes out easily. When I pulled mine out the two plastic prongs that slide into the door panel broke off. This isn't a big deal since you have new rings with new prongs.

Speaker Install :
  • Install old speaker ring gasket, install some type of protection on front of speaker ring.
  • Plug in adapter harness onto speaker.
  • Mount speaker ring.
  • Plug adapter harness into oem harness, mount speaker.

#200 ·
Just did my 08 Civic SI Sedan front speaker replacements today! Bought the car with a blown drivers side speaker so I replaced both. Below is a list of items I used and a few pictures showing what I used.
Do you use amp?
I'm getting same Kickers tomorrow and have Pioneer AVH-X1500DVD.
I'm not going to use amp so should I get other speakers for better RMS matching?

#208 ·
This certainly was an interesting thread to read to say the least...great DIY by the way. I just gotten my Acura type s, which in essence is a Honda Civic si. I was thinking about upgrading the audio system, just speakers though because mine comes with a navi unit. Reading this thread gave me some interesting ideas, lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.