8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

2006 Civic Front Speaker Installation

255K views 217 replies 149 participants last post by  hamhead 
#1 ·
front speaker installation guide can be found here

Front Speakers

#161 ·
i installed polk db651s 6.5" front and rear. well rear im not done yet cos the screws are hard to put back. i had an issue with the scosche bracket i bought, as they are hard to align with the honda screws.
basically i was on a budget since money is tight, thought the stock amps on my ex coupe would power them nicely but i think its more clarity now than thump.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#165 ·
stock receiver (head unit)

After reading through the whole thread, I was surprised that no one uncovered/mentioned the source of the stock receiver. It's made for Honda by Alpine (in Mexico).

I'm told that it makes about 20 - 22 watts RMS. This is NOT as shabby as most just assume. For instance, most after-market integrated receivers make about the same ... often less ... probably due to heat dissipation limitations in an integrated receiver without heat sinks.

fyi: Alpine has a dedicated repair facility for Honda, which is where Honda dealers send the units for repair. The address is:

Alpine Electronics
Honda OEM Repair Service
Unit D
2012 Abalone Ave
Torrance, CA 90501

As to the stock speakers, they look like they are made of polypropylene (i.e. not paper, as is, also, often assumed). I don't see how after-market polypropylene (of similar 6.5" size) is going to sound any/much better ... as many have discovered - the hard way ... after parting with their hard-earned cash. In fact, co-axial after-market speakers usually wind up with less cone area than separate 'component' speakers ... explaining why so many after-market installations disappoint, especially regarding bass generation.

Though unglamorous, it seems like Honda did a pretty good credible job, overall, especially when the EX tweeters are present.

For flat frequency response, I've discovered that turning the "SVC" (loudness contour) 'off' and reducing the bass control to -1 yields a reasonably flat frequency response. Then, just turn up the Volume a bit more; I was surprised at how nice the stock setup can sound, this way. It won't hurt you to give that a try, as a base starting point.

`hope this helps with your options.

/Mike

#166 ·
Quick question, I searched for it but I couldn't find anything about it:

I switches out my 06' SI speakers, the 4x 6.5 rounds, but what about the tweeters? I know the premium sound package has a stock amp, but dos it implement some type of crossover? Are my Upgraded aftermarket speakers not getting the high-frequency 'tweeter' signal because of a crossover? They seem kinda of flat :(

Was it worth it? I got $X 6.5 kickers on sale for $25 a piece, so for me yes I can listen at higher volumes without much distortion. Had a Mazda Protege 2000 (my brother's) before with a $2000 stereo system; so I'm picky :p :dance:

#167 ·
I also noticed on Crutchfield mentioned that the Infinity Kappa 63.9i speakers that I just installed to replace my front speakers didn't fit; I had no issues fitting them in there without any modifications other than the screw mounting I did as they are not compatible with the stock Honda installation, but that was no sweat (alright, maybe a little). These are the 3-way coaxials with the raised tweeter post and the door panel went back on just fine.

I'm planning to gradually upgrade my stock system. I had one speaker blow in the front so decided to replace the pair. Even with the stock HU though, they speakers sound way better than the previous stock set.

Just thought I'd throw that out there for anybody considering the 63.9i's for their 8th Gen Civics! All-in-all, I'm a complete novice with installing this stuff and it took me a little over an hour...

#169 ·
2009 LX tweeter install

I have a 2009 lx sedan without tweeters. If I was to buy a used set from an Si or EX would they be plug n play? Is the wiring there just not the tweeter?

Assuming there's no wiring, what would be the process for adding aftermarket tweeters to the stock system?

#171 ·
Thanks for the front speaker install guide, it's a huge help!!

I'm planning an install of a set of Sliver Flute W17RC38-04's in the front doors of my '07 Civic DX Sedan and have just a few questions.

I see in this thread that door frame depth is ~4". Does the window penetrate that 4" depth or is it all clear for speaker and baffle?

Are there any clearance issues between the speaker and interior door panel?

If using a 3/4" MDF spacer, do you still typically have to cut the two door frame "tabs" along the bottom of the speaker hole? If so, I'd like to have get a tool ahead of time.

I've attached an illustration I did for my install. I plan to update it after I take the door apart and take my own measurements.

#173 ·
I updated the image to what I found in my car when installing the new 6.5" speakers.

I also answered my questions:

Does the window penetrate that 4" depth or is it all clear for speaker and baffle? - Yes, the window does penetrate into the speaker area. My magnet is practically touching the window, but it fits.

Are there any clearance issues between the speaker and interior door panel? - I couldn't snap my door panel back on without trimming ~1/8" to 1/4" off the plastic ring attached to the door panel that encloses the speaker. I trimmed just enough off to get it to snap, but it still encases the speaker and presses against the speaker mounting ring.

If using a 3/4" MDF spacer, do you still typically have to cut the two door frame "tabs" along the bottom of the speaker hole? - Yes, I had to cut those tabs to get my speaker to fit. I used diamond coated rotary cutting discs from Harbor Freight. It was slow cutting, but all I had. Once I got about half way through each cut, I broke it off with a large pair of pliers by bending back and forth till it snapped. Like the OP says in his how to, you can still re-install the factory speakers later.

All of this is illustrated in the attached image. Click to enlarge.

#180 ·
Tweeters on the door?

Has anyone mounted enclosed tweeters to the top of the door panel right in front of the mirror? The reason for the question is my wife has an Odyssey with tweets in the dash and highs seem far away.
This would also negate having to run wires back into the car if xover is placed in door somewhere when installing separates. Not an issue if xover is kept inside cabin.

I have done several dual harness installs where all speakers use stock wires and amps are in rear of vehicle. Stock wires can handle 40 or so watts rms and many good 4 channel amps only push 40 watts. This way you can increase power without changing wiring then when lease is up it takes only a short time to return to stock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.