Mother of all detailing threads... - Page 9 - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Civic Style > Detailing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2008, 12:10 PM   #161 (permalink)

Mike
i was thinking about trying Zaino....ive seen it on my co-workers 07 corvette and it looks amazing....are there anyone on here that uses it?
88hatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2008, 12:41 PM   #162 (permalink)
VIP Member

ig @ je5hua
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitrousG35 View Post
Claying should only be done maybe twice a year unless you are dealing with a lot of contaminants on the paint surface and if the paint feels rough.

Polishing again is something that should be done when swirls, scratches or spiderwebbing is present. Otherwise, maybe once a year or twice should suffice.

Waxing is something that depends on how anal you are. I often wax each week after each major washing. The car looks better. I like to have my car looking brand new all the time, so I wax frequently.
And only seal after clay right :]?
JeShUa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2008, 03:25 PM   #163 (permalink)

Never Again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeShUa View Post
And only seal after clay right :]?

Right. Claying removes everything including any previous sealant or wax.
Wash
Clay
Seal
Wax

This is what I and VQ Power do on our G35 and Si:
Wash
Clay
Polish-usually 2 to 4 steps
Glaze
Gloss
Seal-Jet Seal takes 3 layers
Wax-1 to 2 coats
TopCoat

These steps give not only great protection and durability, but also give a show car shine.

Some cause happiness wherever they go: others whenever they go. -Oscar Wilde
NitrousG35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2008, 03:26 PM   #164 (permalink)

Never Again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88hatch View Post
i was thinking about trying Zaino....ive seen it on my co-workers 07 corvette and it looks amazing....are there anyone on here that uses it?
Zaino is a fantastic product. SpecialRingpop showed up with his gorgeous FBP FG2 at a meet. He used Zaino. I had teased him that the products I was using were better than Zaino, but truth be told, the Zaino looked better.

Zaino is certainly worth the try. It is a little more expensive and complicated to use, but the results can be stunning.

Old 05-24-2008, 04:16 PM   #165 (permalink)
VIP Member

ig @ je5hua
.. I only used 1 coat of jetseal.
JeShUa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2008, 05:08 PM   #166 (permalink)

Chris
^ BIG mistake...jk
DUB2CRS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2008, 11:34 PM   #167 (permalink)

Never Again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeShUa View Post
.. I only used 1 coat of jetseal.
Usually, Jet Seal requires 3 coats, but 1 will suffice.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:37 AM   #168 (permalink)

Zach
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88hatch View Post
I've been very pleased with Zaino, just like Bill says it is a bit expensive and complicated but once you have used it a couple times you begin to understand how to use and how to apply it efficiently. Here is my car after one coat of Z-2. I've had the car for over 21k miles of hardcore CO daily driving and while the paint has TONS of chips the gloss of the wax is amazing. Bill if you want me to take it down to lessen clutter in your thread i'll be happy to just toss me a PM.

PS. My mom loves the shine on her car as well, our neighbor loved it so much she purchased a kit for her RDX.
SiConvert887 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2008, 09:52 AM   #169 (permalink)

Never Again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiConvert887 View Post
I've been very pleased with Zaino, just like Bill says it is a bit expensive and complicated but once you have used it a couple times you begin to understand how to use and how to apply it efficiently. Here is my car after one coat of Z-2. I've had the car for over 21k miles of hardcore CO daily driving and while the paint has TONS of chips the gloss of the wax is amazing. Bill if you want me to take it down to lessen clutter in your thread i'll be happy to just toss me a PM.

PS. My mom loves the shine on her car as well, our neighbor loved it so much she purchased a kit for her RDX.
Your car looks great. By all means, post pics. Don't worry about clutter. Your pic is anything but that. Really, your car shows what a good wax can do.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:23 PM   #170 (permalink)

Andy
My car had a ridiculous amount of swirl marks and when I got closer I actually noticed some hazing and stains on the hood. The stains were these darker areas that just wouldn't come off with any sort of waxing or clay barring. So, I got this:

XMT Porter Cable 7424 Light Swirl Remover Kit with CCS pads! Free Bonus!

I started off washing with this:

and as always, the water just beads right off the paint for a great wash.

Then I used Mequiar's Clay bar kit

This definitely took off the imperfections and garbage that was stuck on from Ohio's lovely salty winter roads.

Now this is where I started with the swirl/oxidation remover included in the kit. I figured I'd start with the finest abrasive just to make sure I didn't go too deep into the clear coat. I applied this with the Dual Action buffer:

In one application, INSTANTLY, the swirls, stains and haze were gone. This stuff went on easy and came off easy. I highly recommend it!

Next, Pinnacle says to use the XMT Carnauba Finishing Glaze

but reading the bottle said that is was a cleaner and wax and I didn't feel as though the paint needed cleaned anymore and I was going to apply my own wax. So I skipped this step.

I went straight to the Pinnacle Souverän Carnauba Paste Wax.

I had never used this before, so wasn't sure what to expect from it. I have been using Zaino for the paste few years and was VERY impressed by it. So Pinnacle had some big shoes to fill. The Pinnacle Souverän Wax went on clear and easy, dried to a white haze quickly (even in moderate humidity) and came off even easier with NO DUST.

First layer: The surface of the paint had an amazing shine and felt amazing too. I knew in several layers, this stuff would look and feel great.

After wiping each layer off, I applied a layer of detailing spray. Specifically, Meguiar's Quik Detailer

I learned this technique from Zaino's application directions. It has always helped add depth to the layers of wax. Normally, I used Zaino's Z-6 Ultra Gloss Enhancer

and got awesome results. Unfortunately, I ran out and haven't bought more yet. So the Quik Detailer would have to do.

After 4 layers of alternating the Pinnacle Souverän Carnauba Paste Wax and Meguiar's Quik Detailer I have to say, I was impressed by the results. The paint surface looked miles deep and was smoother than glass. I was most impressed by the feel this combination left. I have never felt such a flawless surface on any of my vehicles before. I was speechless. I think next time, I will go back to Zaino's Z-6 Gloss Enhancer. It really did make a huge difference in adding an unreal depth to the paint. But the Meguiar's did great too.

I finished off with a layer of NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0

As with the Pinnacle Wax, I had never used this before, but have heard nothing but great reviews. Again, after the application, the paint looked deeper than before. I used the NXT Tech Wax last for its Hydrophobic Polymer Technology and claims for "relentless water beading". I would have added more layers, but had to run to a local meet. So after I was done, I parked my car in the sun for a while to let all these layers of wax cure in the sun. I don't know if this is a good practice, but it made me feel better.

On my ways to the meet, it begain to rain for about 5 minutes. Yeah, I was mad, mostly because it wasn't forecasted. But it gave me a chance to see how well the NXT beaded the water. I happy to report that it did great! It repelled water like Rain X does on your windshield. I will defintely use this stuff again!

I don't have the pics of the before and after yet, but when I get them I will update.
Gone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2008, 07:05 PM   #171 (permalink)

Detailing Gods...a question about claybaring (sort of).

I posted this issue on Meguiarsonline maybe a few weeks ago but wanted input from people who perhaps have worked for, or are familiar with, car dealerships and how they prep vehicles and/or those who're claybar experts .

Long story short: After claying a section of my hood (probably 1/8th of it...I drive an '07 GG Sedan), I noticed clearcoat scratches going from left to right as you're looking at the car head on.

My main question: Would those be examples of DIS (Dealer-Installed Swirls/Scratches) that became 'uncovered' when I clayed the hood (and perhaps removing any wax/sealant/whatever dealerships (incorrectly) use to prep a new car's paint?

I would think that if I caused these scratches they'd be going in the same directions that I used my claybar (e.g. up/down, left/right, & diagonal) and not JUST left/right.

I picked up my car last October and hadn't had time to put any wax on it prior to winter so when I claybarred it last month that would've been the first time any product (other than Meg's Gold Class car wash, a microfiber wash mitt, and Cobra microfiber drying towels) had touched the paint.

P.S. I followed all steps prior to and during using Meg's Smooth Surface Clay Kit (full wash and dry w/2-bucketm ethod, prepped the hood's surface and the claybar with Meg's UQD, kept the surface nicely lubed up, wiped the UQD off with a microfiber towel afterwards, did it in the shade, used a clean/new piece of clay, etc.).

P.P.S. After applying Meg's #9 (Swirl Remover 2.0) by hand, I had successfully removed all the clearcoat scratches. My fear is that when I do the ENTIRE car in the coming weeks I don't want any more of these scratches to be revealed thus necessitating a lengthy process with Meg's #9 & my PC7424 - - I would prefer just to wax it right after claying as it's a (relatively) newer car.
DJJeffMills is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2008, 08:50 PM   #172 (permalink)

Newb learning stuff here. Crud I'm 45 and haven't really even washed regularly, let alone wax often until my new car. Now I'm addicted to this.

I have a new 4 day old 08 NHBP Civic EX. After reading the forums for a few hours I decided just a wash and wax would be just fine. I was quite happy with the NXT 2.0 and the deep crystal wash. I just got back in from using quick detailer since I had some bug guts on the front end and unfortunately water spots as I have to keep my vehicle outside all the time and the dew in the morning makes the spots.

Quote:
I would highly suggest using Meguiar's Mirror Glaze #7 to bring out depth in the paint.
My question being, should I go ahead and rewash this weekend, then use the #7, then wax again with NXT 2.0? I love this black and if the #7 will add even more deepness/shinyness to it, even at this early of new car stage, I'll give it a shot. No polishing step here for me.

Or would the Mothers Reflections put on after the NXT 2.0 be the ticket as on the 1st page of the thread?

Thanks for all this great info!

Last edited by j-bo; 06-02-2008 at 09:03 PM.
j-bo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2008, 11:49 PM   #173 (permalink)

Never Again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-bo View Post
Newb learning stuff here. Crud I'm 45 and haven't really even washed regularly, let alone wax often until my new car. Now I'm addicted to this.

I have a new 4 day old 08 NHBP Civic EX. After reading the forums for a few hours I decided just a wash and wax would be just fine. I was quite happy with the NXT 2.0 and the deep crystal wash. I just got back in from using quick detailer since I had some bug guts on the front end and unfortunately water spots as I have to keep my vehicle outside all the time and the dew in the morning makes the spots.

My question being, should I go ahead and rewash this weekend, then use the #7, then wax again with NXT 2.0? I love this black and if the #7 will add even more deepness/shinyness to it, even at this early of new car stage, I'll give it a shot. No polishing step here for me.

Or would the Mothers Reflections put on after the NXT 2.0 be the ticket as on the 1st page of the thread?

Thanks for all this great info!
You're 45? I'm 56! LOL. As for your question, if you have a black car, you owe it to yourself and your car to use Meguiar's #7 on the paint before waxing. You will not believe the depth and smoothness it will add to the paint as it has enriching oils that nurtures the paint surface.

After the #7, go ahead and use the Meguiar's NXT 2.0. You will have amazing, shine, depth, reflectivity and clarity. I know you will be impressed with the results. There is nothing like a black car properly detailed. My G35 looks incredible when I take the time to do it right.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:54 AM   #174 (permalink)
RIP Mom and Dad

Nick
How long should I leave Megs #7 on the car for? I used it for the first time yesterday, and was experimenting with it. I found that after leaving it on for about 7 minutes it came off extremely easy, but when I went to take it off right when I was done applying with the orbital, it felt like I was lifting weights. Just wondering if leaving it on longer yields better results or what the effects it could have.
NickC89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2008, 11:44 AM   #175 (permalink)

Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickC89 View Post
Just wondering if leaving it on longer yields better results
No sir. #7 is a wipe on/wipe off product
DUB2CRS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2008, 12:02 PM   #176 (permalink)

sinh
Gone that looks like an awesome kit!..but damn i looked it up its 250...bucks..so...is there any good alternatives that are cheaper? recent grad..no job..so..little money..
luv2sipkoolaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2008, 12:28 PM   #177 (permalink)

Quote:
#7 is a wipe on/wipe off product
Glad someone asked! So do you do little sections at a time or can you do the whole car, then start wiping off from where you started?
j-bo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2008, 12:46 PM   #178 (permalink)

Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-bo View Post
Glad someone asked! So do you do little sections at a time or can you do the whole car, then start wiping off from where you started?
Anytime I use a wipe on/ wipe off product I break the car down into sections; hood, fenders, upper door panel, lower door panel, etc.
Xtreme Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2008, 01:37 PM   #179 (permalink)
RIP Mom and Dad

Nick
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUB2CRS View Post
No sir. #7 is a wipe on/wipe off product
Thanks, Im so used to Auto Magic products that you leave on for a few minutes.
NickC89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2008, 03:28 PM   #180 (permalink)

Never Again!
#7 is definitely something you don't want to leave too long on your paint. If it sits too long, it is extremely hard to remove. On dark colors, it adds amazing depth to the paint as well as nourishes the paint with its rich oils.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.