The Official "Ask a Detailer Thread"! - Page 6 - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Civic Style > Detailing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2008, 10:23 PM   #101 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkkid View Post
I messed up big time! I debadged the car and afterwards I thought I saw some glue residue. I used some rubbing alcohol then pressure washed it away. I think I held the pressure washer on too long because I'm pretty sure I took off the clear coat completely

It's like a 4" by 3" patch and all around it I can see it has a layer less... Does it have to be clear coated or can it wax out?
Any chance you can get me a close up pic? It seems odd the clear would peel off, what pressure rating is the pressure washer and how far away did you hold it from the paint? What type of tip was on the pressure washer (angle of the spray pattern like 25 degrees)?

If the clear is gone it needs to be repainted....sorry.

Last edited by RaskyR1; 03-26-2008 at 10:26 PM.
RaskyR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2008, 10:25 PM   #102 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
I've seen it applied with a PC and a foam pad but not a MF one. You can try a spot and see it it leaves any micro marring but I would think it would be ok.
Thanks. My original plan was to scratch-x the whole car with a DA with microfiber pad. But after using ~10 applications by hand in 1 spot, i see some minor scratches, in the sunlight, that dont seem to go away, leading me to believe that it's from the microfiber or something.

HUGE rock chip!
^ that's why i was using so many applications
asndragonboii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2008, 10:39 PM   #103 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asndragonboii View Post
Thanks. My original plan was to scratch-x the whole car with a DA with microfiber pad. But after using ~10 applications by hand in 1 spot, i see some minor scratches, in the sunlight, that dont seem to go away, leading me to believe that it's from the microfiber or something.

HUGE rock chip!
^ that's why i was using so many applications
Nasty chip!
Old 03-26-2008, 10:40 PM   #104 (permalink)

Quote:
Any chance you can get me a close up pic? It seems odd the clear would peel off, what pressure rating is the pressure washer and how far away did you hold it from the paint? What type of tip was on the pressure washer (angle of the spray pattern like 25 degrees)?

If the clear is gone it needs to be repainted....sorry.

The most spread possible with a cheap pressure washer... And you're probably right.. Polished it a bit, it's not really visible from most angles
pkkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2008, 10:46 PM   #105 (permalink)

Quote:

The most spread possible with a cheap pressure washer... And you're probably right.. Polished it a bit, it's not really visible from most angles
It's hard to say for sure if it's gone in the pic. It would be very dull and your pad would turn blue when you polish it if it's gone.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:51 PM   #106 (permalink)

Quote:
It's hard to say for sure if it's gone in the pic. It would be very dull and your pad would turn blue when you polish it if it's gone.
Its actually still shiny, is there hope?
Old 03-26-2008, 10:54 PM   #107 (permalink)

Quote:
Its actually still shiny, is there hope?
You would be able to give it a littl shine but it will dull back very fast if the clear is gone....did your pad turn blue when you polished it?
Old 03-26-2008, 10:58 PM   #108 (permalink)

Quote:
You would be able to give it a littl shine but it will dull back very fast if the clear is gone....did your pad turn blue when you polished it?
No, its kinda like there is more than one coat of clear.. I'm not sure what to think. It has the same shine as the regular paint but it's a layer less now I guess
Old 03-26-2008, 11:13 PM   #109 (permalink)

Quote:
No, its kinda like there is more than one coat of clear.. I'm not sure what to think. It has the same shine as the regular paint but it's a layer less now I guess
I'm pretty sure the clear would peel all the way off regardless of how many coats were on it. Unless of coarse it was repainted beore.

Wish I could be more help bro. Maybe swing by a body shop and see what they say.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:25 PM   #110 (permalink)

Imaginary +1 for RaskyR1 he's a helpful guy and does a mean detail!
Old 03-26-2008, 11:28 PM   #111 (permalink)

Chris
My paint is protected by multiple layers of Collinite 845 IW. I want to use ScratchX to remove some swirls and light scratches, but the wax is too tough to penetrate. I've tried claying, Meguiar's #7, and even rubbing alcohol to remove the wax but I haven't had any luck. Any suggestions?
DUB2CRS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2008, 10:41 AM   #112 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUB2CRS View Post
My paint is protected by multiple layers of Collinite 845 IW. I want to use ScratchX to remove some swirls and light scratches, but the wax is too tough to penetrate. I've tried claying, Meguiar's #7, and even rubbing alcohol to remove the wax but I haven't had any luck. Any suggestions?
What makes you think that it's not removing the wax???

Clay will most likely remove most if not all of the wax but scratchX will definitely remove it. #7 is a Pure polish so that would not have as much effect on the wax and wil not remove any imperfections. Rubbing alcohol will also remove the wax.

At some point in putting multiple coats of wax on usually 2-3 coats you cannot layer the wax any further. You will simply be removing the previous coat....the below link explains this well.

What's the deal with "Layering?" - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online

Do a youtube search on how to apply ScratchX and make sure you are working it properly, most of the time that is why people don't see the results they are looking for.

Rasky
Old 03-27-2008, 10:45 AM   #113 (permalink)
8thcivic Sponsor

GrafiXpressions.com
dont know if this has been asked before...but are there any other ways to remove scuffs on the rubber/plastic trim by your feet when you enter the car? my Type-S has some scratches/scuffs that the damn dealer left there... theres a post about using shoe scuff remover, but i just want to make sure it doesnt change the color of my interior trim pieces.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:33 AM   #114 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue rocket View Post
dont know if this has been asked before...but are there any other ways to remove scuffs on the rubber/plastic trim by your feet when you enter the car? my Type-S has some scratches/scuffs that the damn dealer left there... theres a post about using shoe scuff remover, but i just want to make sure it doesnt change the color of my interior trim pieces.
That will usually depend of the scuff itself and if it actually grooved out the plastic or just a black scuff like a shoe left on a white floor.

Usually I can remove them with an APC, (All purpose cleaner) interior brush, a towel and some elbow grease. On a rare occasion I may have to use a solvent if the dye on the panel can withstand it.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:47 PM   #115 (permalink)

Chris
Quote:
What makes you think that it's not removing the wax???

Clay will most likely remove most if not all of the wax but scratchX will definitely remove it. #7 is a Pure polish so that would not have as much effect on the wax and wil not remove any imperfections. Rubbing alcohol will also remove the wax.

At some point in putting multiple coats of wax on usually 2-3 coats you cannot layer the wax any further. You will simply be removing the previous coat....the below link explains this well.

What's the deal with "Layering?" - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online

Do a youtube search on how to apply ScratchX and make sure you are working it properly, most of the time that is why people don't see the results they are looking for.

Rasky
Thanks Rasky. The reason I don't think the wax is coming off is because when I applied the ScratchX, it just disappeared and all I saw were tiny bubbles. I've used ScratchX in the past on a car that had little-to-no wax on it before it was clayed, and the product was obviously being worked in. I looked up the youtube video and that's why I was re-inspired to use it. Maybe I was just being stupid and the ScratchX just got absorbed into the foam applicator pad??

Oh and I mentioned the #7 because I think I remember the instructions saying that it will remove old wax, but I might be mistaken.
DUB2CRS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2008, 09:16 PM   #116 (permalink)

what kind of wheel brush do you use when you don't want to take off the wheel and scrub it down and wax it?
bigballer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2008, 02:44 AM   #117 (permalink)

Ricky-Bobby
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigballer View Post
what kind of wheel brush do you use when you don't want to take off the wheel and scrub it down and wax it?
Are you wanting to clean the inner part of it? If so it's best to take it off. Otherwise, the brush will just depend on what type of wheel you have since the spokes are different. I don't have a lot of space to fit any kind of brush in there so mine would have to come off if I wanted the clean the back part of them. If it's just an OEM Si wheel then it shouldn't be too hard to just use a towel and get back there.
maiku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2008, 03:12 PM   #118 (permalink)

Brooklynn
I am thinking about getting a couple of shmitts for washing, what do you think of them? (yellow/white for the car, black for the wheels)

Would I be better off just going with the meguires microfiber wash mitts?
Bootsie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2008, 04:04 PM   #119 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootsie View Post
I am thinking about getting a couple of shmitts for washing, what do you think of them? (yellow/white for the car, black for the wheels)

Would I be better off just going with the meguires microfiber wash mitts?
I like the natural lambswool mitts for either application. Color shouldn't matter.

Mothers Genuine Lambswool Wash Mitt
Old 04-03-2008, 11:43 PM   #120 (permalink)

Ok, so first an introduction. My car is 1.5 years old (black) and I'm looking to get rid of some light swirls and freshen up the paint a bit. The swirls are pretty light...nothing too bad. here are the products I have currently all from meguiars: deep crystal paint cleaner, tech paste wax, scratch x, deep crystal pure polish. I'm planning to get a buffer but haven't decided on meguiar's g110 or the porter cable. Now what I was planning to do was clay bar, scratch x the whole car, polish, then wax.

My questions:
1.) Are there any products you recommend me getting over or in addition to the products I already have?
2.) Any polishing machine that you would recommend me getting?
3.) Do you think scratch x is the best to remove light swirls or do you believe there is something more suitable for my needs?
4.) And umm any tips or resources for a first timer with a polishing machine?
5.) Which applicator pads for the scratch x do you recommend?
Damn, I thought I had more questions but those are it that come to my mind right now. If you need any more information let me know. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by S2theI06; 04-03-2008 at 11:46 PM.
S2theI06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.