The Official "Ask a Detailer Thread"! - Page 3 - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Civic Style > Detailing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2008, 10:50 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSRCivic View Post
On my old car I used Bounce fabric sheets to clean bugs off my front end. I never noticed any problems with it and it worked amazingly well. I have yet to do it with my FA5 since its my first brand new car.

What's your take on this?
Well I've heard of other people using this method before but I think there are far more effective and safer ways to remove bugs. It just seems like it could scratch the finish, those sheets aren't exactly soft...

A few good tips in this thread...
Bugs Bugs and more Bugs - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online

Last edited by RaskyR1; 03-17-2008 at 11:00 PM.
RaskyR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2008, 11:14 PM   #42 (permalink)

good stuff. +1. one last thing, what tape do you use on the rubber molding, emblems etc when polishing/waxing?
bigballer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2008, 11:16 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigballer View Post
good stuff. +1. one last thing, what tape do you use on the rubber molding, emblems etc when polishing/waxing?
LOL, sorry I forgot to answer that one. The blue painters tape is the best as it's very easy to remove and does not leave any residue.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:18 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
LOL, sorry I forgot to answer that one. The blue painters tape is the best as it's very easy to remove and does not leave any residue.
thanks i know what im gonna end up doing spring break
Old 03-17-2008, 11:39 PM   #45 (permalink)

www.illmotion.com
Quote:
I'm not too familiar with any of these products and pad colors vary between manufactures. What type of polisher are you using them with and where did you get your stuff from? I will have to look and see how aggressive each pad and product is first.
I have Sonus SFX pads.. I was mistaken, blue is for a final finish, yellow is the most aggressive and white is step 2.
so.. yellow > white > blue

I'm using them with the PC 7424. I got my stuff from eshine.ca.
What polish would you recommend that you are familiar with?
hoanger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2008, 11:52 PM   #46 (permalink)

Asif El-Mubaslat
I use nothing but microfiber and it seems to be putting swirls in the paint...What can I do. I want to polish my car, then wash it right so no swirls re appear
Asif22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2008, 11:53 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoanger View Post
I have Sonus SFX pads.. I was mistaken, blue is for a final finish, yellow is the most aggressive and white is step 2.
so.. yellow > white > blue

I'm using them with the PC 7424. I got my stuff from eshine.ca.
What polish would you recommend that you are familiar with?
Well I don't recommend using a cutting pad with the porter cable as it can leave hazing and micro marring...yellow sounds like a cutting pad.

I'd go with the white pad which sounds like a polishing pad. Meguiars M80 or M09 works great for light swirls. Always does a test spot first to see if one of those combinations gives you the results you’re looking for before you do the whole car. Have you used the PC before?
Old 03-18-2008, 12:08 AM   #48 (permalink)

www.illmotion.com
Quote:
Well I don't recommend using a cutting pad with the porter cable as it can leave hazing and micro marring...yellow sounds like a cutting pad.

I'd go with the white pad which sounds like a polishing pad. Meguiars M80 or M09 works great for light swirls. Always does a test spot first to see if one of those combinations gives you the results you’re looking for before you do the whole car. Have you used the PC before?
Yes, I've used the PC many times, and I've had pretty decent results with Meg's Swirl Remover and 3M polish.
My previous pads needed to be retired, so I bought these new ones.

This is what it says about the yellow pad:
"Use with paint cleaners and compounds designed to remove 1200 grit sanding marks. This pad is aggressive when used at speeds in excess of 700 RPM (rotary) or 3000 OPM (dual-action).

it SOUNDS to me that it is pretty heavy duty. My car isn't that bad, I just want to get rid of the swirls that have accumulated over the winter. Do you recommend sealant and then wax? or just right to the wax?
hoanger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2008, 08:18 AM   #49 (permalink)

what kind of wheel glaze do you recommend?
Old 03-18-2008, 11:00 AM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoanger View Post
Yes, I've used the PC many times, and I've had pretty decent results with Meg's Swirl Remover and 3M polish.
My previous pads needed to be retired, so I bought these new ones.

This is what it says about the yellow pad:
"Use with paint cleaners and compounds designed to remove 1200 grit sanding marks. This pad is aggressive when used at speeds in excess of 700 RPM (rotary) or 3000 OPM (dual-action).

it SOUNDS to me that it is pretty heavy duty. My car isn't that bad, I just want to get rid of the swirls that have accumulated over the winter. Do you recommend sealant and then wax? or just right to the wax?
Sealants tend to last longer and the natural waxes tend to give better gloss and depth. It's all user preference. On darker colors I prefer carnauba but I have also been very happy with NXT 2.0
Old 03-18-2008, 11:17 AM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asif22 View Post
I use nothing but microfiber and it seems to be putting swirls in the paint...What can I do. I want to polish my car, then wash it right so no swirls re appear

Where are you getting your MF towels from? The cheaper MF towels can leave fine scratches in the finish. I buy all mine from Autogeek.net now. Cobra MF towes have been the best I've used so far....I'm sure their are other sites with good ones too though. The Meguiars ones are not bad either and they can be found in stores.

What is your process for washing?
Old 03-18-2008, 11:18 AM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
what kind of wheel glaze do you recommend?
Depends on the wheel and how it's finished. (chrome, polished alum, painted...)
Old 03-18-2008, 11:41 AM   #53 (permalink)

Dan the DIME slayer
so, i have a TW FA5, and i just washed it, and it always seems i can never get EVERY speck of dirt off...sometimes, there are small little black dots that only come off with my fingernail, and there are other dots, almost rust in color that SOMETIMES come off with my nail...whats the easiest way to get every last speck of dirt/tar off the car?
SIcivic07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2008, 11:48 AM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIcivic07 View Post
so, i have a TW FA5, and i just washed it, and it always seems i can never get EVERY speck of dirt off...sometimes, there are small little black dots that only come off with my fingernail, and there are other dots, almost rust in color that SOMETIMES come off with my nail...whats the easiest way to get every last speck of dirt/tar off the car?
Clay bar. I would hit the tar with dedicated a tar remover first though.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:27 PM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Depends on the wheel and how it's finished. (chrome, polished alum, painted...)
stock wheels to be specific.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:23 PM   #56 (permalink)

Beats, Rhymes & Life
What criteria should I look for in a local detailer?
ThaJazz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2008, 11:12 PM   #57 (permalink)

Asif El-Mubaslat
Quote:
Where are you getting your MF towels from? The cheaper MF towels can leave fine scratches in the finish. I buy all mine from Autogeek.net now. Cobra MF towes have been the best I've used so far....I'm sure their are other sites with good ones too though. The Meguiars ones are not bad either and they can be found in stores.

What is your process for washing?

I use 25 pack of towels at all mart for windows and stuff but I use a sheepskin mitt waffle style cloth to dry and basic foam applicator pads I got from this website I cant remember....

But for washing I rinse off the car first. Then I put soap in the bucket and use the sheepskin mit to rub it on the car...I wash the top first then the bottom...After that i rinse then let it sit for a few min...Then break out the waffle towel to dry it. I use meguires wax I have used the applicator that came with it but I mainly use a microfiber I got from the site.
Asif22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2008, 12:38 AM   #58 (permalink)

Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asif22 View Post
I use 25 pack of towels at all mart for windows and stuff but I use a sheepskin mitt waffle style cloth to dry and basic foam applicator pads I got from this website I cant remember....

But for washing I rinse off the car first. Then I put soap in the bucket and use the sheepskin mit to rub it on the car...I wash the top first then the bottom...After that i rinse then let it sit for a few min...Then break out the waffle towel to dry it. I use meguires wax I have used the applicator that came with it but I mainly use a microfiber I got from the site.
Be sure to rinse off the car thoroughly, switch to a microfiber mitt or silicone-free sponge or natural sea sponge, use the two bucket method, and start drying immediately rather than waiting a few minutes.

I used to like the cheap yellow MF towels that can be found at Costco, but stopped using them for two reasons: 1) I found light scratches in the clearcoat (don't know if the towels are to blame but I wouldn't be surprised since they're cheapy and I use them to buff off wax or QD after every wash, and 2) very fine lint tends to stick to the paint when I use it with detail spray. I switched to Cobra microfibers, I suggest you do the same.

Also be sure to wash your waffle weave drying towel every once in a while. That's all I can think of. Hope it helps.
DUB2CRS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2008, 12:51 AM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUB2CRS View Post
Be sure to rinse off the car thoroughly, switch to a microfiber mitt or silicone-free sponge or natural sea sponge, use the two bucket method, and start drying immediately rather than waiting a few minutes.

I used to like the cheap yellow MF towels that can be found at Costco, but stopped using them for two reasons: 1) I found light scratches in the clearcoat (don't know if the towels are to blame but I wouldn't be surprised since they're cheapy and I use them to buff off wax or QD after every wash, and 2) very fine lint tends to stick to the paint when I use it with detail spray. I switched to Cobra microfibers, I suggest you do the same.

Also be sure to wash your waffle weave drying towel every once in a while. That's all I can think of. Hope it helps.
aww man i was gonna pick up a pick of those mf towels. 30 towels for 15 dollars? you can't lose
Old 03-19-2008, 11:05 AM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
stock wheels to be specific.
You should be fine using the same stuff you use on the car itself since they are both painted and cleared.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.