The Official "Ask a Detailer Thread"! - Page 227 - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Civic Style > Detailing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 09:56 PM   #4521 (permalink)

Jacob
It's a wax by a company called Granitize. My friend uses it on his car and I got a gallon for very cheap.
jkingaround is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2012, 04:37 AM   #4522 (permalink)

Irene
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkingaround View Post
i'm not going to use dish washing detergent on my car.. there has to be a specific product made for removing old wax, because yes, it is better wax.
dawn soap is the safest to use on the car for removing old wax if you are starting with a fresh coat so its not bad. Youre not going to wash your car with dawn everytime so its ok. Other than that getting wax remover probably would be it but it does the exact same thing o.o
girlyFA5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 04:40 AM   #4523 (permalink)

Jacob
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlyFA5 View Post
dawn soap is the safest to use on the car for removing old wax if you are starting with a fresh coat so its not bad. Youre not going to wash your car with dawn everytime so its ok. Other than that getting wax remover probably would be it but it does the exact same thing o.o
despite the same result, i'd much rather pay extra knowing that it's meant for that specific purpose. however, is removing the wax needed? or can i just wax on top of the old stuff?
Old 02-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #4524 (permalink)

Irene
Quote:
despite the same result, i'd much rather pay extra knowing that it's meant for that specific purpose. however, is removing the wax needed? or can i just wax on top of the old stuff?
The wax overtime begins to wear off so its best to put on a fresh coat all on its own so that it has the best gloss and protection. Unless the wax layering is put on 2 days apart, I'd stay start with a fresh coat. Might as well invest the extra time no?
Old 02-26-2012, 06:19 PM   #4525 (permalink)

Jacob
yes, but i can't figure out what the correct product to buy in order to strip off the old wax.. NOT dish soap. lol.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:23 PM   #4526 (permalink)

Irene
The thing I'm debating on is like ok so the paint cleaner gets rid of wax but it's done after the claying. And I want the clay to work its best as possible so do I remove the later of wax with dawn soap so that the car is bare then wash again with actual car shampoo to condition the paint? Or should I just wash with car shampoo and clay it?But if I clay it after just washing with car shampoo it's still gunna have that layer of wax so will it rly work as efficiently? Using meguiars clay kit btw
Old 02-26-2012, 06:25 PM   #4527 (permalink)

Jacob
i have no idea about clay.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:28 PM   #4528 (permalink)

Irene
Quote:
yes, but i can't figure out what the correct product to buy in order to strip off the old wax.. NOT dish soap. lol.
Paint cleaners remove old wax as well as deformities in paint like swirls and minor scratches so it's a + I'd say use that. Can't rly find anything else that only removes wax. Cept for dawn ><
Old 02-28-2012, 09:07 PM   #4529 (permalink)

Mike
Quote:
get citrus based car soap. only going to get it online since over the counter products are not designed to strip wax off, thats way overhead for regular ppl. one i use is chemical guys citrus wash clear, or citrus wash and gloss. depending in what concentration you use it can be used for stripping wax or regular maintenance wash.

you can also get some zep citrus and add a little into regular car soap to strip wax off. clay will strip wax off as well.

you asked about not stripping wax and putting new layer on, if its same wax then sure you can do that, if its different wax then chances are its not going to bond well becouse waxes are made differently with different ingridients, think of it as if you would paint car without doing proper prep. its not going to last in long run if at all

Quote:
The thing I'm debating on is like ok so the paint cleaner gets rid of wax but it's done after the claying. And I want the clay to work its best as possible so do I remove the later of wax with dawn soap so that the car is bare then wash again with actual car shampoo to condition the paint? Or should I just wash with car shampoo and clay it?But if I clay it after just washing with car shampoo it's still gunna have that layer of wax so will it rly work as efficiently? Using meguiars clay kit btw
no need to remove wax before claying, it will do it in same step without side effects (except for marring maybe, but it will happen anyway thanks to our soft honda paint). washing with regular car soap after dawn will just ensure that you remove dawn so it wouldnt interfer with wax bonding

steps,
wash the car
clay
wash again
after this wax will be removed

Quote:
Paint cleaners remove old wax as well as deformities in paint like swirls and minor scratches so it's a + I'd say use that. Can't rly find anything else that only removes wax. Cept for dawn ><
paint cleaners remove swirls and scratches? its like saying clay removed scratches lol. wherever you got that info, stop using that sourse as usefull information, this is wrong

paint cleaners are made to remove oils from paint surface to prep it for whatever, some will add gloss agents
Misha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 10:18 PM   #4530 (permalink)

Jacob
it's a different wax and i'm only going to do this once. there's gotta be a no water solution since i dont have a good place to actually wash my car (i quick detail and wax).
Old 03-04-2012, 03:30 AM   #4531 (permalink)

Irene
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misha View Post
get citrus based car soap. only going to get it online since over the counter products are not designed to strip wax off, thats way overhead for regular ppl. one i use is chemical guys citrus wash clear, or citrus wash and gloss. depending in what concentration you use it can be used for stripping wax or regular maintenance wash.

you can also get some zep citrus and add a little into regular car soap to strip wax off. clay will strip wax off as well.

you asked about not stripping wax and putting new layer on, if its same wax then sure you can do that, if its different wax then chances are its not going to bond well becouse waxes are made differently with different ingridients, think of it as if you would paint car without doing proper prep. its not going to last in long run if at all

no need to remove wax before claying, it will do it in same step without side effects (except for marring maybe, but it will happen anyway thanks to our soft honda paint). washing with regular car soap after dawn will just ensure that you remove dawn so it wouldnt interfer with wax bonding

steps,
wash the car
clay
wash again
after this wax will be removed

paint cleaners remove swirls and scratches? its like saying clay removed scratches lol. wherever you got that info, stop using that sourse as usefull information, this is wrong

paint cleaners are made to remove oils from paint surface to prep it for whatever, some will add gloss agents
I got it from the meguiars website the 5 step clean cycle actually o.o They classified Swirl X, Scratch X, and Ultimate Compound as a paint cleaner that follows the claying process which do specifically that; remove swirls and scratches and other defects in the paint before protecting the paint with a polish and coat of wax. I think this is a pretty reliable source o.o http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...-Cycle-Updated

Last edited by girlyFA5; 03-04-2012 at 03:37 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:55 PM   #4532 (permalink)

Mike
Quote:
I got it from the meguiars website the 5 step clean cycle actually o.o They classified Swirl X, Scratch X, and Ultimate Compound as a paint cleaner that follows the claying process which do specifically that; remove swirls and scratches and other defects in the paint before protecting the paint with a polish and coat of wax. I think this is a pretty reliable source o.o Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle - Updated!
ok swirlx scratchx and compound are abrasive polishes. they can call them whatever they want and probably it makes sence for ppl who dont know much about detailing so thats where you getting it confused.
cleaner in detailing term is something that you use after you compounded or polished paint to remove polishing oils to prep surface for protection application (wax, sealant or nano or ceramic coatings)

this is so other ppl dont get it confused, becouse if you go to store and see paint cleaner (p21S for example) you will think it removes swirls and scratches but it doesnt.

hope you see what i mean here
Old 03-04-2012, 07:00 PM   #4533 (permalink)

Jacob
if paint cleaner doesn't remove swirls and scratches what does it do?
Old 03-05-2012, 10:08 PM   #4534 (permalink)

anyone know what to use to clean my si interior? seats and stuff u know
chienchien is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 11:34 PM   #4535 (permalink)

Mike
Quote:
if paint cleaner doesn't remove swirls and scratches what does it do?
it removes polishing oils and sometimes if aggressive enough can remove wax
P21S Paintwork Cleanser - 350 ml | Detailed Image

swirls are small scratches. to remove them you need to level the paint with some kind of polish. there are products that will fill those swirls and make them go away for a little but they will come back. that product is called glaze. other names are used by different companies as well
Old 03-07-2012, 11:35 PM   #4536 (permalink)

Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by chienchien View Post
anyone know what to use to clean my si interior? seats and stuff u know
are your seats made of alkantara? i forget what si interior is like
Old 03-08-2012, 12:43 AM   #4537 (permalink)

Max
Yes, it's Alcantara.

Here you go:

Alcantara

Alcantara Cleaning? - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum
maximus20895 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 01:42 AM   #4538 (permalink)

Jacob
just wondering if i can use wax on my new wheels? they are going to be powdercoated and I want to protect them, and keep them clean. Is there a specific wax i should use or will normal car wax work?
Old 03-11-2012, 12:10 AM   #4539 (permalink)

Mike
Quote:
just wondering if i can use wax on my new wheels? they are going to be powdercoated and I want to protect them, and keep them clean. Is there a specific wax i should use or will normal car wax work?
cheap and great wax for wheels is collinite 476. or collinite 845.
you can get wheel specific waxes as well but it might not be worth it.
i put ceramic coating on my wheels and now i dont have to worry about reapplying wax every couple month. so far its on for 10 month and still holding up
Old 03-11-2012, 12:16 AM   #4540 (permalink)

Jacob
Can i just use any wax?

Last edited by jkingaround; 03-11-2012 at 12:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.