Advice for rock chips on hood - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Civic Style > Detailing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2007, 12:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

Advice for rock chips on hood

Hey guys, gonna fix some rock chips on my hood this tomorrow, looking for advice...

There may be a sticky, or another thread, just couldnt find it...

I washed and waxed the car the other day, and waxed over the chips... so I prob need to clean this area and free it of wax, whats best way? just soap and water? and megs paint cleaner possibly?

Also I have one monster chip, about the size of a pencil eraser,,, but it has a problem. Its right on the front edge of the hood and it has a side to it where the paint is cracked/raised up, but not cracked all the way off. Should I leave it as is, and just try to shove some primer under it to adhere it down flush, or should I chip this "flap" off to make the whole chip area flush with the metal, and all sides equal......
The curved green line shows the leading edge of the problem flap.... this is raised to the thickness up enough to fit a few sheets of paper under it, the straight green lines show the lines it is cracked on, but it didnt crack off in the back, so its just hanging like a paint flap haha... I dont wanna make the problem area bigger, but I also dont want moisture to get under it... whats the lesser of two evils!
Advice for rock chips on hood-rock-chip.jpg

Thanks in advance! I HATE THIS PAINT BTW... cant wait till I'm outta Vet school and can afford a very nice brand new car that I can get a clear bra covering the whole front end, lol

Last edited by dukeluke02; 05-08-2007 at 12:13 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2007, 03:27 AM   #2 (permalink)

T
lol i've learned my lesson on chip paint..

DON'T DRIVE REALLY REALLY REALLY FAST!!

haha
nighthawk06Si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2007, 07:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

FG*SQUAD #87
you can drive really really fast thats not going to change anything, you can drive the speed limit and still get rock chips... the reason for the rock chips is following too close behind someone... ive got a chip oin my hood that looks exactly like that.. i also broke a foglight .. lesson to be learned that i havent quite learned yet lol
Ep3racer954 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2007, 10:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

yea, its sorta hard to keep a rock chip safe distance on the highway, you stay back far enough to avoid it, and you are holding people up, or others cut infront of you b/c there is a gap big enough to squeeze a few more cars in... cant be avoided....

any advice then, or just tellin me how to drive lol
dukeluke02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2007, 10:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

Dave
I just posted this in another thread a few minutes ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt07Si
I feel you man, at the rate I am getting chips I will have more chips than my '98 GSR had in no time.

Hell my first decently long trip (a couple hundred miles each way) A dump truck dropped a decent sized rock and it hit my hood leaving a dimple and three scratches. Not to mention the little nicks here and there that are starting to accumulate on my front bumper.

I bought the Honda touch up pen and brush pretty much right after I got home and noticed that rock had f'd up my hood.

I use the Honda touch pen which isn't a perfect match but is damn close and prevents anything metal from rusting and getting worse, and then I build up the paint over a few days or a week and then use this stuff I recently purchased called Langka which is designed to soften the touch up paint after applying it in excess to the scratches you then take off the excess and leave the paint that has filled the scratch behind.

I would highly recommend checking out Langka's products they are great!

How Langka Works
Hope that helps, it worked great for me!
dt07Si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2007, 11:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Camry Loverz

Steven
Don't tailgate. Thats the only way I know how to avoid rock chips. I got a couple. One on my hood, one on the fender, and one above the fog light.
AbsoluteGG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2007, 11:11 AM   #7 (permalink)

Stephen "Vince" Carter
my advice is too leave them alone...it never, ever looks good no matter how it's done.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2007, 11:39 AM   #8 (permalink)

i think everyone is missing the point of me posting this thread, I'm looking for advice to fix the ones I already have, not how to prevent new ones.... can someone please address the issue about cleaning the area and whether or not I need to take off that flap of paint around the chip, or leave it and paint under and over and hope it re-adheres....

yeah, vince... i usually do if the metal isnt showing, but dont wanna have it rusting... i live where winter and salt is killer conditions for rust

thanks
Old 05-08-2007, 11:57 AM   #9 (permalink)

Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
my advice is too leave them alone...it never, ever looks good no matter how it's done.
If you read my post above I explained how I fix my chips and scratches.

I would clean it with a dish washing soap, that will take off all the wax you have applied. And as far as the flap of paint I would try and remove it, there is no hope of getting it to re-adhere to the body.
dt07Si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2007, 12:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
VIP Member

karlitO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
leave them to rust? and bubble up? I would at least do some sort of touch up to prevent them from rusting =\
truflip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2007, 01:23 PM   #11 (permalink)

dt, thanks... thats what i went ahead and did... glad i did too, b/c there was tiny amnt of surface rust under that flap....
my chip repairs may not look the best, but looks better than bare metal showin, and its functional... keeps moisture from the metal.....

Thanks
Old 05-08-2007, 02:26 PM   #12 (permalink)

Stephen "Vince" Carter
Quote:
Originally Posted by truflip
leave them to rust? and bubble up? I would at least do some sort of touch up to prevent them from rusting =\
I should have specified that you can't leave it too rust...my bad, but I've never gotten a satisfactory result with any touch up paint or method, so I just stopped messing with chips. I just dab some wax in them or a layer of touch-up and leave it at that.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2007, 05:35 PM   #13 (permalink)

T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ep3racer954
you can drive really really fast thats not going to change anything, you can drive the speed limit and still get rock chips... the reason for the rock chips is following too close behind someone... ive got a chip oin my hood that looks exactly like that.. i also broke a foglight .. lesson to be learned that i havent quite learned yet lol
sarcasm man.. lol
nighthawk06Si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2007, 06:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
Purpul Plane 4ever!

Just throw a little paint on it and call it a day. Go get the touch up stuff from your dealers. I have about a million cips and everynow and then I touch it up with some paint I got from the dealer. Still doeant completely match but its better than rusting or leaving it bare.

Try to put as little as possible on the paint. Just fill in the gap. A pinstripping brush could help.
Nomar06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.