8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

dog o darn.

3K views 29 replies 12 participants last post by  X_Civic 
#1 ·
Ok guys, I need some info and tips. Besides not letting my dog in the car.........

What are good ways to enjoy driving around with your pet and not having your interior destroyed? I have a terrier and his hairs shed like hell.
I know some of you have pets and take them for drives, so what do you do to prevent the mess? Tips, and suggestions really appreciated. :)

#8 ·
One of the more asinine remarks I've heard.

How do I get my dog to Dog Beach when I live 5 miles away ? I'm supposed to walk him the entire way there, hope he doesn't die of exhaustion, let him run around, then walk him home?

One of my favorite quotes - "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln

#17 ·
I'm assuming since you're calling using choke or prong collars "abuse", you don't know much about training dogs.

Choke collars, when properly used, is an extremely effective way of training that causes no pain to the dog. Almost all the top dog handlers and military training is used with choke collars. There is good reason for it.

#19 ·
...also for what it's worth (since we're on the subject), I did buy a pair of sportdog "e-collars" for my dogs when I was really getting into how to best train them. I read all of the literature that came with them, I watched the DVD that came with them, I read a lot on my own outside of what was provided with the equipment. I understand all of the ways to properly use them. I put them on the dogs and used them a couple of times and quickly determined that it was unnecessary for one of my dogs. They work well for the other one but we really only reserve the use of it (the collar) when we're going out hiking or when we travel up to Canada on the lake so that he (the one that we use it for) doesn't run off.

Part of the point of saying this is to prove that I'm not just some random idiot that is being critical on the internet. I do read and I do know SOMETHING about training dogs... the other part is to convey that all dogs are different. Recommending one method of training to someone for their dog that you know nothing about is not necessarily the right approach. There's not a "one size fits all" training technique to use for all dogs. Sure a choke collar may work effectively for some dogs but as I have mentioned above, not all measures are necessary for all dogs. Any little bit of research on the subject will yield that very concept in the first paragraph/5 minutes.

#23 ·
I hope you don't let your dog roam freely in the car. In the case of an accident, heaven forbid, he could get seriously injured and I'm sure you don't want your furry companion to get hurt. They have harnesses at Petco or petsmart tht attach to the seat belt so in case of that he will be secured in his seat. Plus it prevents his hair from getting everywhere and just in that one spot. The other option would e to get a travel crate. He might not like it in there but it's safe for him and the hair doesn't go anywhere. Still making sure my pooch is safe is #1 in my book

#27 ·
Def, I have a seatbelt for him and drive extra carefully when him and the lil one are in the car.

Good to know, I saw it at walmart and figured I'd research it before I bought it. Getting one tomorrow, Thanks

My wife and I have a fawn colored Pug, who sheds horribly, but we love taking her places with us. I lay a big blanket down over the back seat, and we have a soft crate, with a nice soft mat in it, that also hooks into the seatbelt. She chills in her crate, chews on a toy, doesn't get hair everywhere, and in the even of an accident, would be relatively safe. Safer than flying all around or out of the car anyway. May take your dog some getting used to, as he/she will probably want to be closer to you, but bring some toys or treats or something and they will get used to it, my dog loves it now, and she knows she's gonna get to do something fun.
Good parents! :) My terrier is pretty wild, but aside from sticking his nose out the window, he pretty much just chills too. Thanks for the advice and input everyone!

#25 ·
My wife and I have a fawn colored Pug, who sheds horribly, but we love taking her places with us. I lay a big blanket down over the back seat, and we have a soft crate, with a nice soft mat in it, that also hooks into the seatbelt. She chills in her crate, chews on a toy, doesn't get hair everywhere, and in the even of an accident, would be relatively safe. Safer than flying all around or out of the car anyway. May take your dog some getting used to, as he/she will probably want to be closer to you, but bring some toys or treats or something and they will get used to it, my dog loves it now, and she knows she's gonna get to do something fun.

#26 ·
Yeah it is good to associate something they are interested in when you want them to try something new because theyll make the connection of like "driving= yummy and fun chew toys= enjoyment. So bringing treats or praising them even is definetely a good thing if you want your dog to warm up to doing new things. I always love using the toys that have the holes inside to put in peanut butter because they love trying to get it out and it keeps them entertained. :]

#30 ·
gotta be a dog lover to understand.. my dog went everywhere with me, when she couldn't get in the car anymore I would lift her in and out of the vehicle because she loved going in the car with me. Unfortunately she shed year round and had a blonde undercoat.. it was fine for the majority of her life because my car had beige leather, when I got a car with black leather.. well lets just say it was a poor decision on my part.

If you can find a rubber sponge it will get the hairs out of the carpet and seats then you can vacuum up the hairballs. For the drool, I don't really know how because my dog wasn't a drooler.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.