Post your Clear Coat Failure and Peeling Paint Stories - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Civic Style > Detailing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2011, 10:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Doug
Post your Clear Coat Failure and Peeling Paint Stories

While I was washing my car 2008 Si Coupe over the summer I noticed the same thing beginning (very early stages) to my Siís roof between the windshield and the moon roof. Simply ridiculous for a baby car that is washed and waxed on a regular basis with 17,500 miles on it. I have noticed that Hondas darker colors (ie. Noble green, Fiji blue pearl, Nighthawk black pearl and others) have had clear coat failure at a fairly young age. I wrote a letter with pictures to Honda of America and was told to go to the dealer. I went to the dealer while there for inspection and never received any feedback till I called the dealer the next week. I was then told by the service manager to get other estimates cause Honda stated that their in-house body shop at the dealer was too high!

The paint issues with my cars oem paint finish on the areas roof between the windshield and the moon roof, peeling paint by the rear window channel on both the upper area of the channel as well as on the right side of the channel by the C pillar, as well as crows feet (denver cracking) on the hood. Problems I have seen with Honda paint. The last Accord the my Father had which was 2003 which was Noble green, started to develop clear coat failure at around 3 years old, the result was a repainted roof. Over the years until it was sold the clear coat failure just grew to the hood, front fenders, rear quarters, and trunk. 3 years simply is way too early for paint to fail especially since it is well maintained. My Sis paint is probably the worst paint durability I have seen on a vehicle between the crows feet (also known as Denver Cracking) on the hood, the clear coat failure beginning to occur, the peeling of paint by the rear window channel, to the thin paint and clear overall. I am worried that that I will soon to get my whole car repainted on me due to bad paint development at the factory and further delamination and failure. It is completely unacceptable for a carís paint to fail over three years. The other high end Body shops (where I usually take my cars) that I got other estimates from said they have never seen issues like this before especially the peeling of paint. My car will have to be majorly disassembled to fix these issues.

My Car has never had any type of paint work done to it. No cleaner waxes are used and only 100 percent grade A carnauba is used. My cars are sealed every 6 months then waxed at least monthly. Oxidation on the clear is removed twice a year with a mild clay bar. Only a light polish Meguiars 205 finish polish is used after the winter to remove light swirls (that are even finer then I received the car new) with a porter cable 7424 dual action (not rotary) buffer with a light cut pad. I always get compliments on my car and the finish even by the dealer and people always ask if my car is new or did I get a new car. I wash my car on a weekly basis with Meguiars gold class car wash and no harsh chemicals are used, I donít even use wheel cleaner. I have been detailing cars since I was 13.

This is the 8th Honda, between my family cars and mine that we have owned, It will probably be my last. I will be trading in my pos paint failured car in once it is finished and probably getting a WRX or STi. I wish, I had just gotten one to begin with.

Question here is who has had clearcoat failure and/or peeling paint? Why isn't there a lawsuit and why hasn't honduh done anything to correct the issues on the newer cars this has gone back to at the 6th gen accord.

Post your Stories here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2011, 10:08 AM   #2 (permalink)

KB (22)
NHBP FA5 repainted my hood and front bumper (Honda Dealership) because of crows feet. Fully covered by HOA an I was way out of paint warranty
KB08SI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2011, 02:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Doug
Update got sent the outside estimate to the Dealer, Dealer Talked to the Rep, Rep has to look at my car before determining whats going to happen. Who knows when that will be. Meantime I am driving around a car that looks like its 15 years old and could start to rust in these areas.
Fiji Blue Si Guy715 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2011, 07:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Joe. - R18 Crew Member #162
They won't cover it bruh, I took my car up to my honda dealer 3 times so they could asses it. Each time was during the week and during the week I go to school in Baltimore City, my dealer is 60 miles away. The 4th time the honda rep came down. They lied to me about when he got there then put a ding in my driver door and after allllll of that decided that they were not going to cover my clear coat. So last week my mom called HOA and they said that because my car was in a fender bender the people who painted it put too much clear coat on it and thats why its flaking. That might make sense if my roof, gas door, drive/passenger door, and trunk were not peeling as well. I called today and my case manager is suppose to be calling me sometime tomorrow. If he does not give me the answers I deserve I will be calling him 3 times a day until my paint is fixed. here are some pics. I don't even want to be seen driving this thing. and just for reference it is a 2006
[IMG]
IMG_20110908_163754 by trp.r18, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]
IMG_20110908_163837 by trp.r18, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]
IMG_20111018_183659 by trp.r18, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]
IMG_20111018_183712 by trp.r18, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]
IMG_20111018_183738 by trp.r18, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]
IMG_20111018_183738 by trp.r18, on Flickr[/IMG]

sorry for the ****ty cell pics but you can definitely see the damage. its a shame that they give out crappy clear coat and then refuse to cover it when it fails, i can't wait until i graduate from college, i will never own another Honda
06civic92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2011, 07:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Kyle
Taking my car to Honda tomorrow to have the roof repainted. HOA is covering 75% of the cost but its still gonna cost me 350$
KT06SiGGM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2011, 09:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Doug
Some Areas of Damage, the peeling paint is all in the rear window jam( top, left and right side) is is spreading daily is going to start peeling the roof and c pillars to primer. EDIT: Didnt take the pics will try again

Last edited by Fiji Blue Si Guy715; 10-18-2011 at 09:01 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hello, I have a 2007 SI 4Door that the clear is failing on and I have bad cracking on my hood! I called the Dealer and they want me to come in for an inspection.

Faster7584 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2011, 01:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

The Dealer took pictures and asked me to get an estimate on repainting the hood and roof. The Dealer will then submit a claim to Honda to approve the repair.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

Rich
The roof of my '08 SI was starting to fade and I had it repainted while my car was being repaired from a rear end collision.
RitcheyRch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2011, 02:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

Doug
galaxy gray is failing as well?
Old 12-14-2011, 09:11 PM   #11 (permalink)

Kyle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiji Blue Si Guy715 View Post
galaxy gray is failing as well?
Yes. My roof looks terrible and Honda should be paying to fix it imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KT06SiGGM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2011, 09:32 AM   #12 (permalink)

Doug
^ I agreed, first i have heard of galaxy gray failing. So now Nighthawk Black Pearl, Crystal Black Pearl, Fiji Blue Pearl, Dyno Blue Pearl, Tango Red Pearl and Galaxy Gray. Is there any other colors that are having issues as well? 6 Colors in a model that have problems is ridiculous. Sounds like bad paint prep as well as bad paint.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:10 PM   #13 (permalink)

Well Dropped the car off at the Dealer today so they can take my transmission out for the 3rd time. The throwout bering is making a very loud noise after they replaced my gears, shift forks and clutch, I hope they just put in a new one.

The Service manager sent my claim to Honda so I will know if a few days if they will paint my car's roof,hood and fenders.

The Dealer has been awesome however, I have had the steering column replaced, the 3rd gear issue plus 2nd and 4th, clutch and now maybe the throwout bering.. and they just fix it.. the only part I had to pay for with the clutch plate but labor was free.

Now they gave me a 2012 Insight to drive around for free while they fix my car. It sucks my Si has had so many problems but I could not ask more from the Dealer they have been great.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
VIP Member

Fid3L
My 07 NHBP FG2 has crows feet on my hood and starting to appear on the front quarter panels as well
fid3L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2012, 02:21 AM   #15 (permalink)

Got a 2007 civic si sedan that's Fiji pearl blue. Clear coat began fading on the top of my car and has a few spots on the hood. Everyday it just keeps spreading and getting worse....
boyimchaotic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2012, 11:30 PM   #16 (permalink)

brandon
06 galaxy grey roof fade and pealing clear 25k makes me sick at first I thought it was a sun reflection it just keeps getting worse on the roof between the sun roof and on the back of the roof and the little spoiler might just spray the roof black with cf trunk and hood
06ggex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012, 09:38 AM   #17 (permalink)

Stephen
I'll take pictures of my roof when i clean it again, but it's fading at the back and the front.

I can't believe i'd have fading paint only 4 years after i bought the car, keeping it cleaned and waxed...

I have a 100k warranty so i'm going to see if they will cover this as it's utter bull****.

FYI: galaxy grey 2008.
w00t692 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012, 09:44 AM   #18 (permalink)

James
As 8thcivic does not have my pics anymore...

My 2007 civic SI + Paint Flaw = Lemon law!? - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Follow the link. Each blue piece of tape = paint blemish.
lovecheese is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012, 09:49 AM   #19 (permalink)

Stephen
^^ those pictures are stupid. It's just you slapping a bunch of tape on "blemishes". They prove nothing sadly.

I believe you that it's effed up, but those pictures do nothing.
w00t692 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012, 09:53 AM   #20 (permalink)

James
The entire car ended up being repainted. The story I was told is that they forgot to clean the paint sprayers like they are supposed to.

Honda was extremely nice and understood my frustrations. They even gave me a 2007 minivan that I drove around for 45 days while it was being repainted. On top of that, they paid two months of my car note.

I was/am very satisfied with Honda and how they handled it. They earned my next purchase.
lovecheese is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.