car washing frequency? - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Civic Style > Detailing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2011, 02:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

car washing frequency?

hi i know this a noob question ? but i just recently bought a 07 FG2 and need a few pointers on how to keep the car looking nice shiny and clean ....

so i was just wondering how often do you guys wash your car? i don't wanna wash my car too often because people tell me each time you wash your car you remove part of the wax on the car and the car was only waxed not too long ago before i bought it

also whats your process when your just washing your car? just wash shampoo and then go over it with water and your done ? do you guys need to use the claybar and polish after the wash or is that somethign only necessary when your going to wax your car?

please give me a few pointers cause i really wanna keep my car lookin fresh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2011, 02:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

I wash 2x a week and just do it by hand at coin car wash with my own sponge and dry with a towel to avoid water spots. And wax every three months, but im not always the best at that. However if you keep it real clean always you can go longer between details.
blazelate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2011, 04:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

Lance
I wash my car every 1-2 weeks depending on how dirty it gets. I don't have a garage, so it gets dirty faster. As far as washing, I would search the detailing forum for more information. Like the guy above me, I would invest in a microfiber wash mitt and drying towel
papabear31289 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2011, 10:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

Brown Man
I try to wash my car once a week and wax once a month.
WhiteCivic10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2011, 10:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
VIP Member

Eric
Invest in detail spray. Also I heard sealants are better than wax and lasts alot longer. Yes only claybar when u are going to wax. Use the 2 bucket method when washing and use a different mitt for tires and under carriage to protect against swirl marks. I heard diaper cloths for polishing can help prevent static to help with dust collecting on ur car.
Good luck and keep it fresh
Erichelms31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2011, 10:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

Matt Fahey
Once a week, or longer. Whenever its need. My baby is garage kept and I usually only drive it like 2-3 a week.
K20Matt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2011, 11:02 AM   #7 (permalink)

David
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erichelms31 View Post
Invest in detail spray. Also I heard sealants are better than wax and lasts alot longer. Yes only claybar when u are going to wax. Use the 2 bucket method when washing and use a different mitt for tires and under carriage to protect against swirl marks. I heard diaper cloths for polishing can help prevent static to help with dust collecting on ur car.
Good luck and keep it fresh
This is the only post that contains good info. Lambs whool mit> mf

Make sure its real lw though...
iCeMaN57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2011, 11:13 AM   #8 (permalink)

Rich
I was my car religiously every Sunday.
RitcheyRch is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2011, 11:14 AM   #9 (permalink)

Brown Man
How To Properly Wash and Dry a Car – Detailed Image
WhiteCivic10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2011, 08:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

thanks for the info guys
i did some more research and im gonna buy Meguiar shampoo to wash my car and im gonna invest in some nice mits and micro fiber towels for my first car wash this weekend ...god im soo excited lol

also since winter is gonna come soon in the next few months is there a recommended wax that you guys use to prep for winter
Vince3k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2011, 08:29 PM   #11 (permalink)

Chance McDurgin
once a week car is mainly garaged except when i go to work, want to buy a nice car cover
AXIS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2011, 08:40 PM   #12 (permalink)

Luigi
I prefer 3m paste wax, after a good clay bar of coarse.
vingox21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2011, 08:49 PM   #13 (permalink)

Hunter
It all depends really,
If you're rolling in black, wash about.. Ehhhh, 7 times a week. Lol
Bllackllabel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2011, 08:50 PM   #14 (permalink)

check out http://www.adamspolishes.com/ he has video's on everything and his stuff is the best!!!!!!!!!!
HFPK20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2011, 08:54 PM   #15 (permalink)

Waxed every 1000 miles.

Washed once a month.

Dusted after ever ride.

Never see's rain and garaged FTW.
testify is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2011, 08:56 PM   #16 (permalink)

summer - hand-washed 1/week & also touchless car-washed 1/week

winter - touchless car-washed 2-3/week
CL9 Jon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2011, 09:11 PM   #17 (permalink)

John
Wash your car as often as you feel needed really. However, if it rains or you are hit with a sprinkler remember that those water spots will etch into your paint.

Get yourself a nice wash mitt, good quality soap with lubrication, two bucket method (one with soap and one to rinse, grit guards for the buckets and remember to work in small sections at a time and use very light pressure. For wheels get some good brushes to use. Wax I really like blackfire wet diamond, that is one of the slickest I have used and will last you a long while! Oh and dont forget some quality drying towels!

Remember you can take your time while cleaning too, I can spend a good hour just washing my car. Seems like a long process but to keep your car in best condition its needed. Also, for the time in between washes you can get a good detail spray, however I only recommend this if you use it every day to prevent the amount of build up and stuff on your paint to prevent rubbing scratches and swirls into it.

hope this helps ya
black_ex is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2011, 11:10 AM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

12.81@113 jrsc'd street tires
i fill my bucket with bleach to strip all the dirt and grime off. then i use a brillo pad to get the caked on dirt off. then afterwards i dry it with a good set of thick jeans. they really soak up the water good and it cuts down on the drying time. just be careful of the zipper and button. you dont wanna scratch the paint. after its dry i use a really thick eraser and spit instead of a clay bar because the eraser picks up the contaminants much better and spit is free.

then i polish it with some of my jizz that i collected the night before in a gallon jar. the juice of my jizz really fills in the swirls good. i then put a good coat of candle wax on the car. i apply it by lighting the candle and letting it drip onto the entire car. then i smear it all over the car with my hand and then rub it in with the abrasive side of a sponge so the abrasive side catches the excess wax not needed. it works much better than car wax because it creates a much slicker surface and lasts longer not to mention an extreme shine.

now its time to do the wheels and tires. i use crisco. i smear it all over the wheels and tires. then i let it soak in the wheels and tires for about 2 hrs in the hot sun. then i take a wire brush to remove the hard crisco off the tire. on the wheels i remove the crisco with a cloth dipped in soda. the acids in the soda remove all the dirt and crisco. once its removed, i apply some butter to the wheel and tire and let it melt on in the sun. then i wipe gently after letting it sit for 20 minutes. it leaves a really slick surface and jet wet look. any dirt and brake dust will just sling off after hitting the wheel and tire leaving your wheel and tire spot free for months.

by the end of the day, the car is better than showroom condition. it looks amazing. i could teach a pro detailer a thing or two.
stallion07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2011, 11:26 AM   #19 (permalink)

David
Quote:
Originally Posted by stallion07 View Post
i fill my bucket with bleach to strip all the dirt and grime off. then i use a brillo pad to get the caked on dirt off. then afterwards i dry it with a good set of thick jeans. they really soak up the water good and it cuts down on the drying time. just be careful of the zipper and button. you dont wanna scratch the paint. after its dry i use a really thick eraser and spit instead of a clay bar because the eraser picks up the contaminants much better and spit is free.

then i polish it with some of my jizz that i collected the night before in a gallon jar. the juice of my jizz really fills in the swirls good. i then put a good coat of candle wax on the car. i apply it by lighting the candle and letting it drip onto the entire car. then i smear it all over the car with my hand and then rub it in with the abrasive side of a sponge so the abrasive side catches the excess wax not needed. it works much better than car wax because it creates a much slicker surface and lasts longer not to mention an extreme shine.

now its time to do the wheels and tires. i use crisco. i smear it all over the wheels and tires. then i let it soak in the wheels and tires for about 2 hrs in the hot sun. then i take a wire brush to remove the hard crisco off the tire. on the wheels i remove the crisco with a cloth dipped in soda. the acids in the soda remove all the dirt and crisco. once its removed, i apply some butter to the wheel and tire and let it melt on in the sun. then i wipe gently after letting it sit for 20 minutes. it leaves a really slick surface and jet wet look. any dirt and brake dust will just sling off after hitting the wheel and tire leaving your wheel and tire spot free for months.

by the end of the day, the car is better than showroom condition. it looks amazing. i could teach a pro detailer a thing or two.
WOW HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
iCeMaN57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2011, 12:09 PM   #20 (permalink)

Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallion07 View Post

RitcheyRch is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.