Car or bike? - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Welcome > Dealership Experience

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2008, 06:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Dave Matthews
Car or bike?

Ok so recently I have taken a serious interest in bikes... I have been looking at the Honda CBR600RR with awe. Don't get me wrong, I love my Si to death and wouldn't trade it for any other car but the CBR is just so tempting to buy...

I owe NOTHING on my Si and if I traded it in I would be getting money back.

I have ridden a friends R6 and I liked it quite a bit... I was just wondering if anyone has had/has a CBR and can give me a person opinion on it or some helpful info to making a good decision.

EDIT: I forgot to add that my girlfriend works at Staples and she recently had a couple that owns a bike shop in a town an hour away and she told them I was looking at buying a bike and they gave her their card and said, "We can order almost any setup he wants."

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2008, 07:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

Andrew
If you got rid fo the Si what would you drive when not riding the bike? Probrably a cheaper used car?

My buddy got a black 600RR last fall, he added some machined aluminum pieces to it and cleaned it up with a fender eliminator and some flush turn signals and it's just beautiful. Looks cleaner than the day he brought it home from the dealer too.

The downside to getting rid of your Si is that you are probrably going to want another nice car again, causing you to spend more money.

What about financing the bike? If your Si is paid off It's probrably best to keep it, it's nice not having a car loan. That is, unless you are having problems.
volvo9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2008, 09:06 AM   #3 (permalink)

I've owned 2 bikes in the past an 01 GSXR-600 and an 04 R6, loved them both but a car should be your main mode of transportation...some days you dont wnat to smell like exhaust fumes and sweat when you get to your destination.

Keep the Si and save up some cash to put down on the bike if you really want it.
IIIII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2008, 09:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

Dave Matthews
I thought about that too. My friend has an STi and he is 25 and its paid off as well. He works at a company named American Wholesale Grocers or "AWG." Of course he makes top pay, though. 50,000 a year, roughly. I could work there as a "pre-hire" and in a year have more than enough to pay it off. Pre-hires are just people who work there and they evaluate you and see if they want to keep you there. They make at the lowest end around 20,000 a year.

I'm just scared I will get stuck there and decide to take time off of college.
Terma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2008, 09:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

Just finance a CBR. The changes made to the new 600rr in 07 is amazing. I still prefer my r6, but the turn in on the new bike is awesome.
themuffinman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2008, 09:16 AM   #6 (permalink)

Dave Matthews
I was thinking of an 08 model. Its only around $100-$400 more and it looks better, I think. The "graffiti" paint job is awesome.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:48 AM   #7 (permalink)

facebook.com/migawari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terma View Post
Ok so recently I have taken a serious interest in bikes... I have been looking at the Honda CBR600RR with awe. Don't get me wrong, I love my Si to death and wouldn't trade it for any other car but the CBR is just so tempting to buy...

I owe NOTHING on my Si and if I traded it in I would be getting money back.

I have ridden a friends R6 and I liked it quite a bit... I was just wondering if anyone has had/has a CBR and can give me a person opinion on it or some helpful info to making a good decision.

EDIT: I forgot to add that my girlfriend works at Staples and she recently had a couple that owns a bike shop in a town an hour away and she told them I was looking at buying a bike and they gave her their card and said, "We can order almost any setup he wants."

Thanks.
if it were me, i wouldnt do it because from experience, later on youll kick your self in the ass. winter time, ull be like "omg mom can i borrow your buick? its too cold to ride today" or "i cant come to work today because its raining". dude, take my word and dont do it, try to take out a loan and get it or something, just dont trade the civic. plus youll get tired of riding everyday. trust me, you will regret it but thats IMO
Opticon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2008, 11:45 AM   #8 (permalink)

Brian
the new 600rr is badass, but if you love your car and it is paid off just wait a little bit and save up money for a bike. like it was stated up above, a car will be your main mode of transportation. but the 08 600rr is amazing, really fast and light, my bro has one and i took it out, its really nice, i like my r6s though, its short to the ground ( im only 5'8") and cheap for a new bike!
Solo Intent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2008, 01:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

Dent
Don't get rid of your car.. a bike is in addition to, in most cases. What bike did you have before this supersport 600?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezerSi View Post
stroke this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
I haz no bawlz
dentrecords is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2008, 01:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Under Moderation

Just call me Daddy
yep, bikes an addition. rain + freeways + stupid people in cars= bad day for moto riders

i WAS gonna get the CBR with the graff paint, but, well...now im not.
SoCal07Si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2008, 02:35 PM   #11 (permalink)

Honestly I wouldn't do it, a bike can be a real PITA for commuting, especially if you don't have an easy place to keep your gear.

Really the only people who can have a bike as their only form of transportation are those in certain parts of California and people who are somewhat insane.

btw, what do you ride now?
TJ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2008, 02:40 PM   #12 (permalink)

Luis Gimenez
CBR = Uncomfortable

Buy R6
Gimenez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2008, 02:42 PM   #13 (permalink)

Arbitor of Discord
When I was much younger and single (yet still made good money) I had three bikes in my garage (racer, cruiser, and a dual-sport), and one beat up pickup for rainy days and motorcycling hauling.

I sometimes miss those days. They were fun.
Janizary is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2008, 02:44 PM   #14 (permalink)

Jasten
If you're using the bike as a primary ride don't do it. Keep the SI. A car is more versatile. If it rains or snows do you want to take your car? If you're going to a business meeting and it rains do you wanna show up wet?

Seriously keep the car, and save up for the bike so you can make it as a additions to your rides.
Jardiniboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2008, 02:53 PM   #15 (permalink)

keep the car, finance the bike.. Every bike owner should have some other type of transportation, so since you already have a nice car take out a loan and get the bike if you really want it.
FG207Si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2008, 05:56 PM   #16 (permalink)

I was definitely glad to have the car today, it was really windy today, never fun on a bike, especially a fully faired sportbike.
TJ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2008, 07:25 PM   #17 (permalink)

Dave Matthews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opticon View Post
if it were me, i wouldnt do it because from experience, later on youll kick your self in the ass. winter time, ull be like "omg mom can i borrow your buick? its too cold to ride today" or "i cant come to work today because its raining". dude, take my word and dont do it, try to take out a loan and get it or something, just dont trade the civic. plus youll get tired of riding everyday. trust me, you will regret it but thats IMO
lol. Actually my mom has a Chevy Trailblazer SS.

I guess you're all right, anyway. I would much rather have a bike and my FA5 instead of just a bike and some cheap car that is hell to drive for 6 months.

Last edited by Terma; 03-20-2008 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:24 PM   #18 (permalink)

Alex
If your really serious about buying a bike you can pick up any used 03-06 600cc supersport for fairly cheap nowadays. It would also be better to learn on a used bike than a brand new one
GGM-Fg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2008, 08:34 PM   #19 (permalink)

Dent
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGM-Fg View Post
If your really serious about buying a bike you can pick up any used 03-06 600cc supersport for fairly cheap nowadays. It would also be better to learn on a used bike than a brand new one
It would be best not to pick up a supersport as a first bike. There are plenty of threads about this already.

I strongly suggest you start out on something smaller for a season or two (which any good instructor will tell you at the safety course you *must* take before you start riding) and invest in some good gear. You'll drop it the bike, and probably not even take that much of a hit on the value because it was cheap in the first place and there's always a market to sell your learner's bike to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezerSi View Post
stroke this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
I haz no bawlz
dentrecords is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2008, 09:04 PM   #20 (permalink)

Rob
You have a paid off Si, then keep it and run it until its done. I used to have a crappy thunderbird and a mint 01 gixxer 600 all hooked up to the max. My car broke down and I had to sell the bike to finance my fa5. I miss the bike more than the world but its just a toy really, the car is much more practical. I had a down payment on a 08 750 for this summer but canceled and bought a boat. One toy over another. I would keep the car and finance a new bike or if you never rode before definitely buy a used one. DONT SELL THE SI!
Doeboy211 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.