8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

4th and 5th lock out 100% of the time

2K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  J23civicSi 
#1 ·
Ok so I'm making the power, able to put it to the ground but now I'm not able to shift at high rpms, would the CMC fix this issue at all? Or what do I need to do to make this a smooth shift. I have a 6 puck competition stg 4 if it helps

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

#9 ·
That person was joking lol

A twin disk clutch will 100% change absolutly nothing unless they adjust your CMC, your issue isn't a clutch issue. If anything it would be TOB, and if it is only a high RPM its not that either. Its a sychnro or CMC issue.

Step one is this:
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/transmission/203074-diy-2nd-gear-grind-fix-clutch-adjust.html

If that helps but doesn't remove the issue get a new CMC, if it dosen't help at all, id still get a CMC as it rather cheap and a good mod. If your still having issues your sychcro's may be on their way out.

#10 ·
Are you getting a noticeable clicking sound when shifting into 4th and 5th vs the other gears? I had this issue in my 3rd and 4th and ended up being a bent shifter fork. Works good now but I still get a bad 4th gear grind at rev limit.

Not to steal your thread, but while on topic, a CMC upgrade may help my 4th gear issue? My 2nd and 3rd gear isn't much a issue anymore when a pay attention to the shifting method and rpms. But 4th gear gets me everytime.

#12 ·
I was told by the tranny shop that the synchros were good. While I was having the shift fork replaced, I was going have them replace the synchros. But they also told me that the shift fork didn't have a part number from Honda and they spent more time welding the break in the fork vs replacing a $65 piece....which the local Honda dealership has in stock all the time since they do go out so often in the tranny for RSX and Si.

#13 ·
I could be wrong, its hard to diagnose a car via the internet. just giving my opinion, but i'm still leaning towards the actual teeth on the gear being ground if it grinds every time...that is usually the cause. If you have occasionally grinding its usually the syncro.

#16 ·
As long as it's not grinding during engagement, I would imagine that your powerful engine wouldn't be stressing the synchros at all. It's the super quick engagement that is asked of the synchro that will wear it down.

But yes, grinding the gear with 300wtq will rip it to shreds. :dancingcoolsmiley:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.