Clutchmasters FX200 clutch review. - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Bolt-Ons And All-Motor > Clutch & Transmission

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2010, 08:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Michael
Clutchmasters FX200 clutch review.

So about two weeks ago I replaced my clutch and pressure plate with the clutchmasters fx200 clutch and pressure plate. I also changed out the stock flywheel and went with a 12lbs act flywheel,(7-8lbs flywheels are a btich to DD).

Its been 1500miles and no problems whatsoever. Clutch grabs like stock and pedal feel is exactly like stock. I chose FX200 because of its full face carbon kelvar material design, I researched on it and it seems to be a clutch thats suppose to last real long, as a weekend warrior and a DD. I chose full face fx200 because full face discs last the longest, pucked or segmented disc have short lifespans but grab better. I'm not turbo so I don't need any stronger than this.

If you're n/a and want something for DD that last real long and for a weekend warrior, this is the one. None of that throw bearing problems that competition clutches have. They are truely the masters of clutches. 30 years in the market. I have stage 2 cams/i/h/e/ported im/69mm tb.

The clutch grabs well, puts the power to the ground. Stock feel, but race clutch capable. I can beat on the clutch all night long without it wearing out like the stock clutch does(i.e. hard shifting at high RPM), no more hardshifting at high rpm because this clutch is much more resistant to burning up. Perfect clutch for powershifting too, grabs instantly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2010, 08:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

mike
nice review what did this setup run
$$
vollrathian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2010, 10:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

kendric webb
finally somebody changed it up and did a different clutch
thatkidkendric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2010, 11:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Tommy GuNZ
in for more reviews after more miles...thinkin' about getting this clutch
JDMFGSI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2010, 11:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
8thcivic Sponsor

Dan
We have sold a few CM for the SI but really havent seen too many reviews. Glad to finally see one

We are a large stocking distributor for Boomba Racing and PowerRevRacing! Shop WSCP.CO!
WeSellCarParts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2010, 09:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by vollrathian View Post
nice review what did this setup run
$$
$495 for clutch package FX200
$260 for 12lbs streetlite ACT flywheel

so about $760 for everything.

I did the replacement myself with a couple of friends. Takes about 1 day and a half to do with all the right tools and impact gun.

I bought everything from corsportusa, they ship fast and accurate.
MugenCivicSI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2010, 09:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMFGSI View Post
in for more reviews after more miles...thinkin' about getting this clutch
just do clutchmasters, i did intense researching and studying clutch material and how clutches work before I chose this one.

If you're a dd street car type with an engine that shoots anything less than 300lbs of torque, go with full face (not segmented or pucked) carbon kelvar material clutches. They'll last you real long and even when beaten all night long.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSellCarParts View Post
We have sold a few CM for the SI but really havent seen too many reviews. Glad to finally see one

They are truely "THE MASTERS OF CLUTCHES". There are quite a few people that have issues with competition clutches, and that sucks because changing clutch in our cars are pretty expensive, or takes a lot of work to do to do replacement, nothing easy like older honda models. Exedy stage 2 is pucked and is made out of ceremetallic, which basically means it has a short lifespan.

This is why I chose clutchmasters fx200, perfect for dd
Old 08-17-2010, 09:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

Noel
Quote:
Originally Posted by MugenCivicSI View Post
$495 for clutch package FX200
$260 for 12lbs streetlite ACT flywheel

so about $760 for everything.

I did the replacement myself with a couple of friends. Takes about 1 day and a half to do with all the right tools and impact gun.

Good info I got a buddy that can help me when I get mine. I think you helped me figure which one I'll get. I knew what flywheel for dd but could not figure out whitch clutch I wanted.
MuGeNJuNkY_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2010, 10:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
8thcivic Sponsor

Dan
Retail on FX200 is $485.00...

http://www.wesellcarparts.com/store/...idProduct=9236

We will get the rest of the CM line on our site soon

We are a large stocking distributor for Boomba Racing and PowerRevRacing! Shop WSCP.CO!
WeSellCarParts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2010, 01:17 AM   #11 (permalink)

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSellCarParts View Post
Retail on FX200 is $485.00...

Honda Civic SI 2006+ Clutchmasters FX200 Clutch - WeSellCarParts.com

We will get the rest of the CM line on our site soon
corsportusa offers free shipping, so yea i guess the extra 10 dollars comes to that.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:33 AM   #12 (permalink)

8thCivicRidesPoles
Quote:
... If you say so...
PainIs4ThaWeak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2010, 09:46 AM   #13 (permalink)
VIP Member

Nick
Quote:
Originally Posted by PainIs4ThaWeak View Post
... If you say so...
Im sensing bad experience? Corsport has been good for me, i have spent lots of money on my build with them. Thanks op for the write up i really want to upgrade my clutch and flywheel really soon. Would you say it grabs better than stock? Whats your thoughts on the flywheel, lighter than stock right but still good for daily driving?
sivtecboi80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2010, 03:25 PM   #14 (permalink)

Ray
Quote:
So about two weeks ago I replaced my clutch and pressure plate with the clutchmasters fx200 clutch and pressure plate. I also changed out the stock flywheel and went with a 12lbs act flywheel,(7-8lbs flywheels are a btich to DD).
Great review! Thanks!

Couple of questions:

Is the FX200 more durable for the DD and WW than the FX300?
Why did you go with the ACT StreetLite Flywheel rather than the Clutchmasters Flywheel?

Thanks
Black Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2010, 05:33 PM   #15 (permalink)

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivtecboi80 View Post
Im sensing bad experience? Corsport has been good for me, i have spent lots of money on my build with them. Thanks op for the write up i really want to upgrade my clutch and flywheel really soon. Would you say it grabs better than stock? Whats your thoughts on the flywheel, lighter than stock right but still good for daily driving?
It grabs much better than stock, and it stays that way too, even when used in extended periods of racing, unlike the stock one. I've experienced that the stock one degrades and shifts become harder just after a few times of racing the car. The stock one recovers but you gotta drive it normally for a few hours to get it back to 100%. The fx200 though, keeps 100% efficiency, does not degrade after long periods of racing.

The act 12lbs streetlite flywheel is great, much better than stock but I can still DD the car just fine. The car revs a little bit faster than normal. Oh yeah and this flywheel changes the sound of your engine. If you've ever driven an stock integra type R, the engine makes similar sounds to that now. You'll notice the sound difference when you put this flywheel on.

Daily driving is perfect, just like stock.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:42 PM   #16 (permalink)

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Wolf View Post
Great review! Thanks!

Couple of questions:

Is the FX200 more durable for the DD and WW than the FX300?
Why did you go with the ACT StreetLite Flywheel rather than the Clutchmasters Flywheel?

Thanks
FX300 is the same material as the FX200, but it is segmented(less material, grabs quicker though). This setup has a much less lifespan than the FX200 because it is not a "full face clutch". Pucked and segmented clutch disc grab better, but has about 1/2 the amount of material, which equals 1/2 lifespan.(clutch mechanic told me all about it.) I'm n/a and I dd my car, so FX200 is best for me. But if you have turbo, go stage 3 or 4.

I went with ACT because they are the only ones I can find to have a not too light flywheel..ACT is 12lbs, clutch masters only offer 7.5lbs ones, and that sucks for DD. If you've ever driven a honda with a flywheel less than 10lbs, it is a bitttch to DD.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:41 PM   #17 (permalink)

Ryan J
Thanks for this review, helped me finally decide what clutch/flywheel to get. I was originally looking at the ACT HD kits.. glad I didn't get one after seeing all the problems they give people. Sadly this is an emergency upgrade (my stock clutch is about to die, spent a whole weekend racing with it and it just can't handle the stress :/ ), so I don't currently have any other engine upgrades, but this'll be good for the future. I'll let ya'll know how it is once I've had it in for a while.
rjmash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2011, 03:24 PM   #18 (permalink)

David
OP, I have this clutch as well. Curious if you're experiencing any clutch engagement whine...
soxfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2011, 03:38 PM   #19 (permalink)

Stephen
Quote:
FX300 is the same material as the FX200, but it is segmented(less material, grabs quicker though). This setup has a much less lifespan than the FX200 because it is not a "full face clutch". Pucked and segmented clutch disc grab better, but has about 1/2 the amount of material, which equals 1/2 lifespan.(clutch mechanic told me all about it.) I'm n/a and I dd my car, so FX200 is best for me. But if you have turbo, go stage 3 or 4.

I went with ACT because they are the only ones I can find to have a not too light flywheel..ACT is 12lbs, clutch masters only offer 7.5lbs ones, and that sucks for DD. If you've ever driven a honda with a flywheel less than 10lbs, it is a bitttch to DD.
I drove my si with an 8lb competition clutch ultra light flywheel for 2 years. It wasn't a ***** to DD at all. So... i actually don't know what you're talking about.
w00t692 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2011, 08:21 PM   #20 (permalink)
VIP Member

Nick
Quote:
Originally Posted by w00t692 View Post
I drove my si with an 8lb competition clutch ultra light flywheel for 2 years. It wasn't a ***** to DD at all. So... i actually don't know what you're talking about.
Did you love it i heard too light than u get the whole revs dropping super quick thing and take off being jerky but than again this is all hearsay.
sivtecboi80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.