Holding clutch down in stop-n-go traffic: yay or nay? - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Model Specific Civic Information > Civic SI

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2008, 12:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

sorry honda
Holding clutch down in stop-n-go traffic: yay or nay?

Quick question: am I doing damage to the car by holding the clutch down when in rolling/stop-n-go traffic so I can use 1st gear?

It is a pain in the ass to take it out of gear, take foot off of clutch, and clutch-put back into first gear when traffic moves forward again.

Last edited by Ralph_Wiggum; 03-07-2008 at 12:54 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2008, 12:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Lick it before you stick it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Wiggum View Post
Quick question, am I doing damage to the car by holding the clutch down when in rolling/stop-n-go traffic so I can use 1st gear?

It is a pain in the ass to take it out of gear, take foot off of clutch, and clutch-put back into first gear when traffic moves forward again.

Nay. That will do damage in time. Holding the clutch down too long is not good in any way. it will wear out. just gotta be patient in traffic. I know, I commute to school every freakin day.
Kronos_32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2008, 12:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

ToE kNeE
i was doing that today for a hour....coming home form work
07mugencivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2008, 01:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Lick it before you stick it...
Its cool. just dont abuse the clutch or do it too much. unless you wanna buy a new one soon.
Kronos_32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2008, 01:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

Ry [ the original mahfawker ]
I would say nay.. its easier to give yourself enough space to coast ~3-5mph while in 2nd gear. that way you aren't depressing the clutch the whole time or having to shift in and out of gears constantly
ryryninja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2008, 05:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

'08 Civic Si
Keeping the clutch pushed in will put wear on the return springs. It's also a bad idea to keep your car in gear while your stopped in case you get rear ended. If you're rolling the whole time just let it roll in first gear with no gas and leave lots of room ahead of you so you don't have to slow down. It's not a big deal anyway; I doubt you're going to wear anything out within 10 years no matter how you do it!
rob76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2008, 05:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

if you're talking about serious stop and go traffic such as in nyc downtown during rush hour, then what other choice do you have? if you sacrifice an inch, you'll get cut off and then you'll get no where. with serious stop and go traffic, you dont even have time to put it in neutral. you let out the clutch, inch up and before you fully depress the clutch, its time to inch up again.
rcracin13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2008, 10:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

in addition to wearing out the springs, you will also wear out the throwout bearing by holding down the clutch.

if the clutch pedal is pushed in fully that means the clutch itself is not making contact with the flywheel so you wont be wearing out the actual clutch.

I try not to ride the clutch in traffic, but i know its hard not to when trying to drive smoothly.
eg_bert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2008, 10:31 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryryninja View Post
I would say nay.. its easier to give yourself enough space to coast ~3-5mph while in 2nd gear. that way you aren't depressing the clutch the whole time or having to shift in and out of gears constantly

I agree. Do what big trucks do. Pick a gear and let it just roll along.

Typicall the train of though is keeping the pedal pushed down wears on the throwout bearing. But so does constant engage and disengagement. Both wear down on the pressure plate, clutch and throwout bearing. Try to leave it in gear and just roll.
ryker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2008, 11:32 AM   #10 (permalink)

Jon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07mugencivic View Post
i was doing that today for a hour....coming home form work
you held the clutch in for an hour?

HondaFamilyMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2008, 02:01 PM   #11 (permalink)

sorry honda
Thanks for the input guys!

Looks like I will practice the new ideas mentioned in this thread on my drive home today.

The hardest part is going to be in the section of my drive to work where I make a point NOT to let anyone merge in in front of me. These ******** ignore the signs that say the lane ends so they can wait until the last second to merge into the backed up lane. This causes all the problems in the first place. In those situations, I am anal about not letting anyone merge in. I look @ their pissed off faces when they are looking at me like they are thinking, "let me merge in." The look on my face is usually, "l want to beat the ever living crap out of you for being a cheating POS."

Drivers in the New Orleans area are the worst in the country. There are too many Billy Bob "Put a decal on a pickup truck" y contractors hauling loads improperly, too many people driving slow as hell like they are 90 years old on drugs, and too many inconsiderate people who don't focus on their surroundings. Because of this, I tend to drive pro actively so I don't take 2x the amount of time to get to where I need to go.
Ralph_Wiggum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2008, 02:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Scrodums

Unfortunately, that happens everywhere. I don't let it get to me. I try to make my drives in rush hour as less stressing as possible. Coast in second gear. Don't let the gap get to 8 car lengths. At the same time, you also don't need to ride 1st gear with only a clearance of <5cm from his bumper.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:26 PM   #13 (permalink)

sorry honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodums View Post
Unfortunately, that happens everywhere. I don't let it get to me. I try to make my drives in rush hour as less stressing as possible. Coast in second gear. Don't let the gap get to 8 car lengths. At the same time, you also don't need to ride 1st gear with only a clearance of <5cm from his bumper.
well, thats the sane mindset to have.

In the morning, especially on the way to work, I'm not in the best of moods, and I can't be that good.
Ralph_Wiggum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2008, 08:47 PM   #14 (permalink)

Weird, when I learning standard in driving school (and even motorcycle school) they always tell you to stay in gear. That way if you do see someone about to rear end you, you can just ease off the clutch and get away rather than putting it in gear and then get moving. Also, if the clutch is all the way down then you're not really burning the clutch since its completely disengaged.
J-StarR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2008, 09:17 PM   #15 (permalink)

Shaun
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-StarR View Post
Weird, when I learning standard in driving school (and even motorcycle school) they always tell you to stay in gear. That way if you do see someone about to rear end you, you can just ease off the clutch and get away rather than putting it in gear and then get moving. Also, if the clutch is all the way down then you're not really burning the clutch since its completely disengaged.
That's exactly what I learned too in driving school and motorcycle training.
CaptainBrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2008, 10:10 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

'08 Civic Si
Well, if you're first in line at an intersection and somebody hits you there could be a problem. You'd likely take your foot off the clutch and the car could lurch out into traffic.

As for stop and go traffic, guys, be glad you don't have an old foxbody 5.0L mustang. I had one and it was brutal. The clutch would make my leg ache for hours after driving in traffic.
rob76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2008, 10:12 PM   #17 (permalink)

gino
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob76 View Post
Well, if you're first in line at an intersection and somebody hits you there could be a problem. You'd likely take your foot off the clutch and the car could lurch out into traffic.
but isnt that the point of having it in gear? if you are in gear, you will stall out and wont go out as far. if you are in neutral, you will go way into the intersection.
maximo61170 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2008, 04:01 AM   #18 (permalink)

Andrew
You'll shorten the life of your throwout bearing by holding down the clutch when its not needed.
projek7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2008, 07:10 AM   #19 (permalink)

Shaun
oops double post

Last edited by CaptainBrew; 03-08-2008 at 07:27 AM.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:27 AM   #20 (permalink)

Shaun
I definitely wouldn't recommend ever "RIDING" the clutch but if you're coming up to a short red light, it's ok to keep the car in gear.
NEVER ride the clutch in stop and go traffic though.
Like many have already said you'll wear out your bearing and if you're in your friction point a lot you can wear your clutch down pretty fast by doing this.
Basically stay off the clutch unless absolutely necessary is kinda my rule of thumb.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.