Anyone mix 89 and 93 octane? - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Model Specific Civic Information > Civic SI

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2008, 07:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Anyone mix 89 and 93 octane?

Everytime I fill my tank, I use 93 (for a full empty tank).

Some mornings on my way to work with like 90 miles into the full tank, I top it off with 89. Since the minimum octane rating that the Si must be filled with is 91, I figure it's alright.

The majority of the fuel is still 93, so it's not really half-half. For someone that doesn't drive much, it may seem pointless... but for someone that drives 80 miles a day to work, the .20 difference starts to add up eventually.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2008, 08:11 AM   #2 (permalink)

Gordon Jackson
I do the same thing, onec in a while. I've got a friend who's Dad owned a gas station. My friend said that the mid grades used to be blends of the Higher and lower octanes that were done at the pump in the 60's. I can't see anything wrong with blending down to around 91. My car doesn't seem to run any different when I blend.
bilzfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2008, 08:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilzfan View Post
I do the same thing, onec in a while. I've got a friend who's Dad owned a gas station. My friend said that the mid grades used to be blends of the Higher and lower octanes that were done at the pump in the 60's. I can't see anything wrong with blending down to around 91. My car doesn't seem to run any different when I blend.
I haven't noticed anything different either- performance wise or MPG.

Like I said, I'll top it off once, maybe twice with 89... but that's about it. The majority of the tank is still 93. Also, I use the same gas at the same exact gas station when I do this. I never mix brands.
Grimey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2008, 10:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

Leonard
I've always wondered if 1/2 part 93 + 1/2 part 89 = full tank 91.... (since most places around me don't carry 91)
Leonard1818 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2008, 11:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

Ramez
I've done it as well, no changes in performance, sound, or MPG. You are all good.
rsm1113 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2008, 11:27 AM   #6 (permalink)

this is great to know,and even better if gas hits 4 bucks this summer
ygoslo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2008, 11:27 AM   #7 (permalink)

any knocks or ping?
if not, i's ok
icen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2008, 11:40 AM   #8 (permalink)

Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard1818 View Post
I've always wondered if 1/2 part 93 + 1/2 part 89 = full tank 91.... (since most places around me don't carry 91)
I was wondering the same last week. I actually put 89 in my car without realizing it. Every pump I go to is the same layout... 87 89 93 (in that order)... so I just grab the rightmost one and go at it.

Well, this one station I stopped at... i didnt look until i was almost done filling, just to see how much the gas was, and the layout was ... 87 93 89 ... i was like 'wtf? i just put 89 in' ... figured it didnt matter much and I didnt notice any difference in that tank.

Itd be nice to know if it really works like that (mixing 89/93 to get 91).... but somehow I doubt it does work like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icen View Post
any knocks or ping?
if not, i's ok
Thats what I'd be remotely concerned about. But I dont know the real answer.
Phalanx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2008, 11:51 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by icen View Post
any knocks or ping?
if not, i's ok
Absolutely none, and I've done it a few times.

No changes in performance, or MPG. But like I've said, the largest ratio I've prolly pushed is 3/4 93, 1/4 89. I've never split it.

I wouldn't recommend mixing brands either, if you are gonna do it you should probably use the same brand gas to ensure the octane ratings are the same.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

I just ran some numbers...

Lets say you fill the tank to 13.5 gallons (and yes I've put that much in already), and use the prices I filled up at this morning--$3.19 89, and $3.35 93.

If you split it up, that's 6.75 gallons for each 89 & 93.

The total price for the 6.75 gallons of 89 is $21.53.
The total price for the 6.75 gallons of 93 is $22.61, for a total price of $44.14.

If you were to use all 93, the total cost would be $45.23. Your total savings for that fill would be $1.09 for that tank.

Now $1.09 may not seem like a lot, but if you plow through about a tank or more a week that is a savings of $56-$60 a year.

Just some food for thought.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
All Liver GSP's!

$56-$60 a year in savings? Are you seriously worrying about that......if you are that concerned you should have spent the time you just used working up those calculations to find a new job....making more money. $56 will be the least of your concerns.
07BlakBlak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2008, 01:42 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07BlakBlak View Post
$56-$60 a year in savings? Are you seriously worrying about that......if you are that concerned you should have spent the time you just used working up those calculations to find a new job....making more money. $56 will be the least of your concerns.
I just figured I'd run some numbers to see what it'd cost/change

I make more then enough
Old 03-03-2008, 02:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
myspace.com/assistant_ar

Andrew
ummmmmmm i dont think mixing gas octane is a great idea nor putting octane 89 on your Si. Im pretty sure that mixing 89 with 93 would result 91, i dont think it works like that. but for one thing dont do it i mean it doesn't do anything to your car FOR NOW who knows whats going to happen down the road. i mean common why would honda advise to use only octane 91 for the Si ? theres gotta be a good reason for it, they didnt say you cant use 89 but they require you to put 91. so i wont put 89 on my si. its just me but you know sometimes its better to have peace of mind than having few cents.
7002iSciviC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2008, 03:19 PM   #14 (permalink)

You guys that have 93 octane are too spoiled... I would kill for 93 octane, in CA we only get 91!!!
habitat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2008, 03:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

'08 Civic Si
You bought a gas guzzling sports car to commute with and you're worried about $1 a tank? Oy Vey!
rob76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2008, 04:36 PM   #16 (permalink)

why don't you trade your Si for a Regular Civic (lx or ex)...this way you will be able to save more money (less octane and higher mpg)...just my thoughts...
geffsi111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2008, 04:58 PM   #17 (permalink)

The Si...a gas GUZZLER?! Even when I give it some really good sprited driving mixed with my usual commutes to work the Si routinely gives me at LEAST 25-27mpg. On a long highway trip i can get 33mpg just cruising. Compare that to my non-guzzling non-sports car Subaru Outback which could only cough up 27mpg cruising on the highway.

Gas Guzzling Si....! idiot....
OhondaU is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2008, 07:24 PM   #18 (permalink)

David
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitat View Post
You guys that have 93 octane are too spoiled... I would kill for 93 octane, in CA we only get 91!!!
I fill up at my local VP Racing where they sell 87/89/91/95/100. Last time I remember checking, 95 was something like $1/gallon above 91 and 100 was in the $5.XX/gallon! Friend of mine forgot to check until he had filled up the tank (kind of like Phalanx mentioned, he was used to the position) and he had dumped 95 in a rental car he was returning that should have seen 87. $15 mistake, oh well!

Gotta get out of that granola eatin', Birkenstock wearin', carbon-credit buying bay area and come out to the gun-totin', gas-burnin', high-octane part of California!
OrdnanceMarine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2008, 08:03 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhondaU View Post
The Si...a gas GUZZLER?! Even when I give it some really good sprited driving mixed with my usual commutes to work the Si routinely gives me at LEAST 25-27mpg. On a long highway trip i can get 33mpg just cruising. Compare that to my non-guzzling non-sports car Subaru Outback which could only cough up 27mpg cruising on the highway.

Gas Guzzling Si....! idiot....
When did anyone in the entirety of this thread call the Si a gas guzzler?

At no point in this thread did I even once complain about gas prices or the fuel economy of the Si, I was simply making an obersvation and asking a question.

Last edited by Grimey; 03-03-2008 at 08:27 PM.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:04 PM   #20 (permalink)

Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimey View Post
When did anyone in the entirety of this thread call the Si a gas guzzler?
See below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob76 View Post
You bought a gas guzzling sports car to commute with and you're worried about $1 a tank? Oy Vey!
Phalanx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.