8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Terrible grinding noise while reversing

10K views 22 replies 19 participants last post by  shutter13 
#1 ·
I just got my '07 civic si sedan today and i've noticed that while reversing, it makes this really ugly grinding/buzzing kinda noise on top of the engine noise. does anybody have any idea what might be causing this? =/

#7 ·
erisha said:
I just got my '07 civic si sedan today and i've noticed that while reversing, it makes this really ugly grinding/buzzing kinda noise on top of the engine noise. does anybody have any idea what might be causing this? =/

The reverse gear is straight cut (vs angled cut like the forward gears for strength) so it make a whining noise when moving. (probably done on purpose, when anyone hears that sound they know a car is backing up) It also gets no synchros so you cant be moving back or forward at all when putting it into R.

#8 ·
^word. Its a spur gear rather than a helical gear. You'll hear a bad noise if you go in R while moving forward, don't do that. It's normal to hear a mechanical/non-grinding noise while in R and moving backwards just because the whole tooth is making contact at the same time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.