How is the SI Sedan as a daily driver? Need something more spacious and quiet! - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Model Specific Civic Information > Civic SI

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 01:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

Ryan
Question How is the SI Sedan as a daily driver? Need something more spacious and quiet!

I am looking for a new daily driver since my car is getting too intense to drive and drones quite a bit with the hardtop on!

I was originally looking for a 2008 TL Type S but those are really hard to find low mileage and manual trans unfortunately. Not to mention quite a bit more expensive.

I have been thinking of the civic si sedan. Obviously it is not a luxury car by any means but seems like it would still be fun to drive while giving me more space, decent for winter with snow tires and hopefully not too loud with stock exhaust etc.

Obviously everyone on here likes si's but over all how would it be as a daily for someone that is tired of a noisy car (supercharged s2000 with 70mm exhaust, test pipe etc and removed sound deadening) So quite to me is not quite to someone wanting a silent cadillac by any means.

I would probably get a flashpro since I would really want to pick up as much extra midrange torque as possible as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 01:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

Its a great car. I personally believe if you want a solid DD the only mods I would do is the EM1 clutch master cylinder upgrade and flash pro. That would probably clear up the two biggest head aches most owners have with the FA5, the sometimes sloppy shifting and the rev hang.

Hope that helps! happy hunting.
higher being is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 01:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

David
I like it so far. Definitely do your research and decide if its the car for you. Test drive one
David21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 02:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

Robert
Get a MK6 GTI w/ DSG
HeelsandEers is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 09:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

Andrew
It's going to be worlds quieter than the s2k with no sound deadening, but the Si can be loud inside.. it's mainly road noise though, depending upon the road surface.

the 4 door is great too. I'm a single guy and could have easily chosen a coupe, but having doors that open to put crap in the rear is helpfull!
volvo9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 10:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

^^^

this guy...but, if you're not in a real hurry...I'd wait until I found a tl-s 6sp
0SiDAN7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 12:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

Ian
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelsandEers View Post
Get a MK6 GTI w/ DSG
THIS. The DSG tranny is amazing, the torque that the GTI makes makes it a wonderful DD. Also, the interior is MUCH nicer than that of the Si.

You can get a GTI, and do an ECU reflash and DSG reflash and have a car that makes 250/300, and shifts in a fraction of a second.
ijm5012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 01:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Ryan
I definitely don't want an auto or paddle shifters or anything like that. My business is shift knobs so would be a sin haha.

Thanks for the input guys! I will definitely have to test drive one soon. I have thought of waiting for the 2013 and just buying one new since I would love the added torque but if I get an SI I will probably go for the 8th gen. I like the looks the most.
moddiction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Robert
Get a 6 spd then. The GTI is still a more comfortable, quiet, and practical DD than the Si, and by the sound of it, seems like all things that are important to you.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ryan
How about reliability then? Wouldn't a Mazdaspeed 3 be better compared to a gti?
Old 12-07-2012, 02:06 PM   #11 (permalink)

Robert
The MK6 GTIs are perfectly reliable. None of the issues so many older VWs suffered from.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:13 PM   #12 (permalink)

Ryan
Good to know! Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 12-07-2012, 02:15 PM   #13 (permalink)

Ian
Quote:
Originally Posted by moddiction View Post
How about reliability then? Wouldn't a Mazdaspeed 3 be better compared to a gti?
Plus, if you do any modifications to the MS3, you almost have to upgrade the HPFP. Interior finish isn't nearly as nice. Exterior isn't as nice (personal opinion I suppose). Also, my dad had a 2002 Mazda Protege 5, and I have never seen a car rust like that for being 8 years old (he got rid of it in 2010). I don't know if Mazda has improved the quality of materials they were using, but I can tell you that they used to be sh*t!

I would take a GTI over a MS3 any day of the week. Problem with the manual GTI is that the clutch will start to slip sooner compared to the DSG 'box, depending on how much power you are pushing.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #14 (permalink)

I'm surprised to see all the recs for other cars. My 2007 Si sedan is bone stock and it makes a solid commuter. Fast, fun, reliable, consistent 29 mpg commuting in often heavy traffic, good visibility, quiet, and the seats are great. Stock stereo sounds good as well. On days when I drive, I commute about 75 miles RT.
ROJA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 03:41 PM   #15 (permalink)

Shawn Perolis
The Civic Si is a really good daily. I came from a 2008 Hyundai Accent and a 1991 Honda CRX before, and it is definitely an improvement over those! Good thing you already have a performance car though, because the Si is pretty slow compared to its competition. An Si sedan would definitely make for a really good commuter car with a little bit of kick to it. Maybe look into the Golf GTi 4 door first though, as it is probably better for comfort.
shawnperolis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 03:50 PM   #16 (permalink)

Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROJA View Post
I'm surprised to see all the recs for other cars. My 2007 Si sedan is bone stock and it makes a solid commuter. Fast, fun, reliable, consistent 29 mpg commuting in often heavy traffic, good visibility, quiet, and the seats are great. Stock stereo sounds good as well. On days when I drive, I commute about 75 miles RT.
Nothing wrong with the Si as a dd. I still love mine. I just envy at times how quiet the GTI is as well as its more useable power.

Overall, I think it makes a better dd. With that said, there is a reason I'm still driving my 07 Si.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:01 PM   #17 (permalink)

Ian
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelsandEers View Post
Nothing wrong with the Si as a dd. I still love mine. I just envy at times how quiet the GTI is as well as its more useable power.

Overall, I think it makes a better dd. With that said, there is a reason I'm still driving my 07 Si.
Yeah, because you're in college and don't want a car loan

I do agree though that a 4 door GTI is just as practical if not more (thanks to the hatch) than a 4 door Si. Again, I love my 08 FA5, but if I was in the market for a new car I would be looking at a Mk.VI GTI, since you could probably get them for a good price since the Mk.VII golf has been announced.

But, if you want something that is a bit more "racy" then the FA5 will make a great DD. Good mileage (30+ once tuned), and a fun car to drive. Just get a flashpro ($550), etune ($200), Hybrid Racing Shifter Cable Bushings ($70), a heavier shift knob ($50), and you're good to go. If you have high RPM lockout going 1-2, then get the Hybrid Racing EM1 CMC kit ($180) and you'll be set.

All told, you can have a very FUN (read, not fast) DD that gets great gas mileage with about $1050 invested on top of the purchase price of the car.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #18 (permalink)

Mini Van
Rojopunx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 04:14 PM   #19 (permalink)

Ian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojopunx View Post
Mini Van
Spacious: Check
Quiet: Check
Surprising Quick: Check

I think that you can surprise a lot of people with how quick a mini van is. The Toyota or Honda vans have good motors in them, and can leave a lot of people dumbfounded at red lights lol.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:20 PM   #20 (permalink)

My cousin has the New Toyota mini van and it dosnt look half bad, the interior is pretty nice and spacious and was pretty fast and handled well with the sport package
Rojopunx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.