Buy or Pass...Real Owner Feedback... - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Model Specific Civic Information > Civic SI

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 04:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
NHB

Buy or Pass...Real Owner Feedback...

Should I buy or pass on a 2006 Civic Si with 56000 miles on it for 12700. Galaxy Grey and has intake and cat back..

Car is MINT its my buddies and I know for a fact he doesnt beat it... He took well care of it...

BUT should I buy or pass??

My only concern is the grinding/lockout/notchy shifts... I havent drove it yet so I dunno if it does... but I want a sport car that I can "hammer down on" so to speak on the track for AutoX... but dont want to be left in the dust not being able to shift....

IF the car shifts well, what are the chances of the problem coming up?

And if it does are the fixes that involve bushings/fluid change/short shifter/CMC a "fix" or a bandaid?

And does the problem just happen or is it from driver repeat error shifting?

Thanks

Last edited by NHB; 12-01-2012 at 04:32 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 08:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

Get a 2008 or better a 2009 most of the bugs are fixed.
Shark Tek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 08:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

Burt
^ did the tranny change? I thought the USDM 6 speed hasn't changed?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Munge_08si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 08:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munge_08si View Post
^ did the tranny change? I thought the USDM 6 speed hasn't changed?

For the 2009 model, Honda did a tweak to the tranny to reduce the 3rd gear issue that most owners were experiencing before.
Shark Tek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 08:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

Burt
Was not aware, thanx for the heads up. Curious though, I bought my first 8th fg2 new and never had issues.. I just picked up a white coupe with 23k on it in mint condition for 16k and the freaking tranny has already kicked me out of 1st and 3rd under hard driving.I'm scheduled for an oil change soon because I got a few free ones, what are the chances of them doing anything to fix it upon my request? You think they'd want to keep the car to duplicate the problem or take my word for it? I figured for 23 thousand miles these issues wouldn't be here but I guess I'll never know how the last person drove it.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

Shawn Perolis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munge_08si View Post
Was not aware, thanx for the heads up. Curious though, I bought my first 8th fg2 new and never had issues.. I just picked up a white coupe with 23k on it in mint condition for 16k and the freaking tranny has already kicked me out of 1st and 3rd under hard driving.I'm scheduled for an oil change soon because I got a few free ones, what are the chances of them doing anything to fix it upon my request? You think they'd want to keep the car to duplicate the problem or take my word for it? I figured for 23 thousand miles these issues wouldn't be here but I guess I'll never know how the last person drove it.

There is a TSB about it. The dealer doesn't have to fix it and a lot of them will tell you they can't duplicate it. Some members here have had luck with Honda fixing it though.
shawnperolis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 10:55 AM   #7 (permalink)

Pass, spend a lil more n get MY 09-11...galaxy grey is the way to go though
0SiDAN7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 11:23 AM   #8 (permalink)

Burt
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnperolis View Post
There is a TSB about it. The dealer doesn't have to fix it and a lot of them will tell you they can't duplicate it. Some members here have had luck with Honda fixing it though.
Appreciate the heads up, I guess I'll take my chances and see what they say. Maybe they'll be good to me, my wife used to work there and probably still has the hook up!

Old 12-01-2012, 12:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

Chris
I don't think the grind is enough to deter somebody from enjoying the car. That's a great price for the miles
thechriskarel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 01:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

Shawn Perolis
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechriskarel View Post
I don't think the grind is enough to deter somebody from enjoying the car. That's a great price for the miles
Yes it is. Knowing what I know now, I'd definitely check to make sure the car doesn't grind before buying it. I'd never have bought mine if I had known it was going to be this finicky. Nothing is worse than going for a hard shift into second and grinding. It just ruins your whole day.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:23 PM   #11 (permalink)

I also, if I had known these issues, would have tried as hard as possible to replicate during the test drive w/ the guy in the car...maybe coulda had it fixed, although mine isn't too bad...still wish I'd a waited for an 09
0SiDAN7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #12 (permalink)

Andrew
That's a really good price, especially if the car is in great shape.

I had an 07, the trans issues aren't THAT bad... sometimes you put it into 3rd gear and there is an extra "click" you have to push the shifter past before it's fully in gear, but not all the time.

Now I have an 09.... it has never done that once.

I'd buy it for that price, esp if it's been well taken care of. The CMC swapout helps with rapid shifting, the stock cmc sucks... plastic guts, dampening chamber, not cool.
volvo9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 02:28 PM   #13 (permalink)

Chris
Quote:
Yes it is. Knowing what I know now, I'd definitely check to make sure the car doesn't grind before buying it. I'd never have bought mine if I had known it was going to be this finicky. Nothing is worse than going for a hard shift into second and grinding. It just ruins your whole day.
I agree with you that it's annoying and frustrating, but have you tried to fix it? I got upgraded base and shifter bushings and a new short throw assembly and it's mostly gone now.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
NHB

When I got drive it are there any tests I can do to see how bad or good the tranny is?

I would get an 09-11 but everyone around me wants like 16k for them and I know the owner of this car...

I dunno what to do now.... ughhh so many mixed reviews.
NHB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 04:33 PM   #15 (permalink)

Chris
shift above 7k into 2nd and 3rd
Old 12-01-2012, 04:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
NHB

and if the car shifts fine into all gears? am i safe or will the problem surface later down the road?
Old 12-01-2012, 05:20 PM   #17 (permalink)

Shawn Perolis
Quote:
I agree with you that it's annoying and frustrating, but have you tried to fix it? I got upgraded base and shifter bushings and a new short throw assembly and it's mostly gone now.
I've got Flashpro to get rid of the rev hang and that helped a bit. I've got amsoil tranny fluid, short shifter, and bushings. It still happens from time to time. You shouldn't have to put that kind of money into the car just to make it work as intended.

Quote:
shift above 7k into 2nd and 3rd
Yeah, literally shift right before the car is about to hit the rev limiter. And shift fast, like a race driver. A slow shift gives the syncros time to work, but it is also the reason why most drivers can only get mid 15s out of this car instead of the high 14s it should be running.

Last edited by shawnperolis; 12-01-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:10 PM   #18 (permalink)

Chris
Quote:
I've got Flashpro to get rid of the rev hang and that helped a bit. I've got amsoil tranny fluid, short shifter, and bushings. It still happens from time to time. You shouldn't have to put that kind of money into the car just to make it work as intended.
agree 1000%
Old 12-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #19 (permalink)

Marc
Another good way to see if the tranny has 3rd gear problems is to drive once it starts up and the car is still cold, you will feel the car fighting back in 3rd as you put it in and that will give you a good idea if the tranny is really bad or not. You could also try and get Honda to fix the tranny problems if there is any, Honda fixed my tranny and now it's fine

Sent from my DROID2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
M4FX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 08:28 PM   #20 (permalink)
NHB

Just got back from a test drive....

found out its a full cold air intake not just a ram air.. car sounded AWESOME the power was very good too...

I hammered on the car from 1-3 and had no trouble finding or getting into the gears no grinds nothing...

So think the tranny is pretty good for now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.