Why did I like the RSX-S test drive better? - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Model Specific Civic Information > Civic SI

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 09:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
otb

Why did I like the RSX-S test drive better?

Hi guys. So I drove a stock 06 RSX type S and a 07 Civic SI Sedan. The SI had Tokico blues and eibach springs with a bigger rear swaybar. They both felt good, nothing wrong with either car. What I don't understand is.....the RSX felt more sports car or go-kart. I can't actually see why. I always enjoy a firm ride (vs body roll and sloppy ride), good grip, positive steering feedback, solid brakes, etc. I didn't find the SI to be a harsh ride, so that's not the difference.

The RSX did have only 30k miles on it, so that could be a contributor. I really can't put my finger on it, but the RSX felt like a tight precision machine, and the SI felt like a big ass car with good power and braking. I didn't get to drive the RSX very hard, but the civic handling was definetely great for FWD! I probably would miss the LSD during those "real" driving moments.

If anyone can explain the differences I'm feeling (especially you Spenser, who's SI I drove) I would really appreciate it.

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 10:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Because you drove a Sedan. All that extra room ***** with you. Something with not having the car wraping around you makes it feel less like a sports car. The sedan is also a hair heavier, probably why it felt so boring.
8Grand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 10:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Probably cause the sedan is longer. Also the RSX is a purposely made sports cars vs the sedan si being a car that although handles well, was primarily designed for grocery getting and commuting. If the rsx had a lsd it would probably be the better car in most peoples books.
higher being is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 01:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

Robert
The RSXS does feel a lot smaller than the Si (the 4 door at least), even though there isn't a great amount of difference in size or weight. Also, the braking feel/feedback in the RSX is much better than that of the Si.

I will say I do like the interior of the Si more. It is a lot more roomy and better laid out.

The RSX looks leaps and bound better than the Si does though, imo. If I was debating between the RSX or fg2 I think I'd have to go with the RSX.
HeelsandEers is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 01:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

Charlie
How is this a comparison? It's like you're comparing an orange to an apple. Test drive a coupe vs a coupe then that will help you make a decision.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
doopah is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 01:21 AM   #6 (permalink)

Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by doopah View Post
How is this a comparison? It's like you're comparing an orange to an apple. Test drive a coupe vs a coupe then that will help you make a decision.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Not really. You think a fa5 to a fg2 is that big of a difference? Same car and driving dynamics. Slightly different body style. The biggest difference between the RSX and the Si, is the RSXS lack of LSD.

I'd say it's like comparing a granny smith to a gala.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:26 AM   #7 (permalink)

Not apples to apples man, how can you compare a sedan to a coupe
BigM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 01:31 AM   #8 (permalink)

The sedan is 55lb more than the coupe...not enough to make a world of difference. That being said, I think the civic coupe is around 100 or so lb more than the rsx.

I had a rsx for 6 years and did a few minor suspension tweaks (springs, rear sway bar, adj. camber). Moving to the civic, I was really impressed with how the rear end rotates in stock form...the lsd made things even better!
I don't feel that I need to do as much to the suspension of this one as I did my last car. The rsx's hydraulic steering and cable based throttle did make for a more connected feeling though.

Last edited by Lysol; 11-16-2012 at 01:33 AM.
Lysol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 01:45 AM   #9 (permalink)

Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigM View Post
Not apples to apples man, how can you compare a sedan to a coupe
We're comparing a fwd sport compact with a k20 made by Honda, to another fwd sport compact with a k20 made by Honda. I'd say it's a valid comparison.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
there is no spoon

RSX weighs 200lbs less than a Si sedan. And RSX has hydraulic power steering, which translates to better steering feel and a more direct 1:1 connection to you turning the wheel and things "happening". Also the interior of the RSX is much much more driver-centric. The dash wraps around to put everything in focus for the driver.

That said, the RSX's suspension is dramatically inferior to ours. The engine is inferior to ours. The factory stereo is inferior to ours. Tuning options for it are more expensive. Aftermarket support for it is inferior to ours. No factory LSD. We get better pedals, a real shift knob, etc... lots of crazy details on the Si that mechanically make it a better platform in every way.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:06 AM   #11 (permalink)

Robert
Steering feel - RSX
Braking feel - RSX
Weight - RSX
Looks - RSX
Everything else - Si

At the end of the day, I still greatly prefer the Si. I've been driving an 05 type S all week and I can't wait to get back in my fa5.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:15 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelsandEers View Post
We're comparing a fwd sport compact with a k20 made by Honda, to another fwd sport compact with a k20 made by Honda. I'd say it's a valid comparison.
YA engine to engine, not car to car its a pointless comparison, RSX is a coupe handles differently, acts differently, uses the power band differently, no lsd, not as heavy, has 2 less doors, should i go on?
Compare apples to apples man, its not a comparrison now its a what i like better.........k20 to k20....lol

Most people would see that its not a fair fight for the RSX at all.......dont get me wrong i like them but in the end when i was looking for a car the Si 'COUPE' was the one i chose..along with many others here. You cant just compare the engines which arent even comparable, yay the steering is better.....

Every car feels different to everyone, its what your looking for when you buy....thats why they call it apples to apples, not apples to oranges......

The type S in white is a sexy car, i wanted one untill i saw that the Si was a better buy in the end, this guy may feel differently

Last edited by BigM; 11-16-2012 at 07:31 AM.
BigM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 08:03 AM   #13 (permalink)

Get the rsx based on looks alone... Our 8th gens cant come close to looking that good
SlowSiIsSlow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 11:44 AM   #14 (permalink)

Robert
Quote:
YA engine to engine, not car to car its a pointless comparison, RSX is a coupe handles differently, acts differently, uses the power band differently, no lsd, not as heavy, has 2 less doors, should i go on?
Compare apples to apples man, its not a comparrison now its a what i like better.........k20 to k20....lol

Most people would see that its not a fair fight for the RSX at all.......dont get me wrong i like them but in the end when i was looking for a car the Si 'COUPE' was the one i chose..along with many others here.

You cant just compare the engines which arent even comparable lolwut

Every car feels different to everyone, its what your looking for when you buy....thats why they call it apples to apples, not apples to oranges......

The type S in white is a sexy car, i wanted one untill i saw that the Si was a better buy in the end, this guy may feel differently
So by your logic it's pointless to compare any two cars unless they both have 2 doors? Makes sense
Old 11-16-2012, 11:45 AM   #15 (permalink)

Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSiIsSlow View Post
Get the rsx based on looks alone... Our 8th gens cant come close to looking that good
Agreed. The only reason why I'd even consider the RSX. Like I said, If I wanted a coupe, I might be driving a RSX right now.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:13 PM   #16 (permalink)

Shawn Perolis
Quote:

Most people would see that its not a fair fight for the RSX at all.......dont get me wrong i like them but in the end when i was looking for a car the Si 'COUPE' was the one i chose..along with many others here. You cant just compare the engines which arent even comparable, yay the steering is better.....

I don't even know where to begin.
shawnperolis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #17 (permalink)

Andrew
The RSX also has a cable operated throttle. Adds more "feel" to the driving experience since the engine responds immediately.

And the engines are EXTREMELY similar, main difference being that the RSX doesn't have balance shafts. Having driven a bunch of Type S' I prefer the throttle feel of the RSX, but the smoothness of the Si. I don't like feelback of the S past 7k, it starts to get pretty buzzy.

Last edited by volvo9; 11-16-2012 at 06:42 PM.
volvo9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 08:22 PM   #18 (permalink)

Chris
am I the only one who thinks our Si looks better??
thechriskarel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 08:31 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechriskarel View Post
am I the only one who thinks our Si looks better??
Nope. Call me crazy but I prefer the SI sedan (that's prolly why I have one)
JoYu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 09:43 PM   #20 (permalink)

I have an SI sedan, and I personally prefer the RSX's look better; however, the LSD won me over. I was a little jealous of them having a cabled throttle body, but flashpro fixed that.
PANGES is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.