8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Buying an 07 with 100K miles

10K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  iSIs07-SI 
#1 ·
There's this 07 civic Si that has been sitting in the Toyota dealership for quite some time. It's currently listed for 12.5K but after some negotiations they are willing to give it to me for 11,000 and 3,000 trade on the old car. Is it worth buying the car for 8,000 dollars and having 100,000 miles? And if I do end up getting it what should I check/look for because I don't expect the car to be perfect condition. After all 100K miles is a lot

#4 ·
I know it's too much for 100K, but it's the best I can do in my area, especially because Im still a student. (last year of high school.) Si's are very rare here too. My other options are an 08 with navi and 80,000 miles for 14.6K or a 2010 with 29,000 miles for 19.8K but I don't want to take out car loans especially with college coming up.

So again. Anything I need to look/listen for when taking it out for a test drive?

#5 ·
There is plenty of Buyers Guide threads here with things to look for. Previous accidents and major repairs along with making sure the transmission and clutch are in good shape. Engine will need a valve adjustment at 100k and if the clutch is original then it's on it's last leg. If they have had it on the lot that long, talk them down $500 further and leave till they call you back to accept the price.

#6 ·
I test drove Si's with 120,000 miles that felt better than ones with 40,000 miles on it. As long as it's been taken care of the mileage should not concern you in the least. Look it over, make sure it drives/shifts okay, see if there is any sort of a maintenance history on it, etc. You know, the basics. I would suggest driving the car with the engine completely cold. Cars tend to be fine once they warm up, but any potential issues will a lot of times rear their heads after it has sat overnight and hasn't been driven.

If you're serious about buying it, paying a local Honda dealership $100 to look it over top to bottom isn't a bad idea either. Also, if you call Honda of America they should be able to run the VIN and tell you of any times it's been serviced at a Honda dealership as well.

As far as price goes, what is a good deal in one area of the nation might be a terrible one somewhere else. Don't buy a car solely based off of price, but don't be too concerned if people in one area of the nation say it's a terrible price too.

#8 ·
I say its a really good idea. I bought mine with 95k on it and haven't had a single issue. I got it for 11 at a subaru dealership and it was very well taken car of. Pay attention to the condition rather than the miles and you may be able to get a very well kept car that is within your price range. I did what I had to do to get in the car while being in college and if that means seeing a huge number on my dash Ill live with it. I say go for it

#9 ·
Ok, I test drove the car and it is in need of a new clutch and serpentine belt because it was squeking upon startup. Other than that it drives pretty well. No weird noices at high or low rpm. The service records look good and it has had 2 previous owners. Interior was very clean

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.