Civic Si + Snow = Near Death - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Model Specific Civic Information > Civic SI

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2011, 08:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

Civic Si + Snow = Near Death

I don't know what everyone else's experiences are in snow with this car, but i've been through a few storms now, both with summer tires and now with my new Bridgestone Blizzak WS-70 snow tires and I can honestly say this is the WORST car I have ever owned in snow. Worse than all of the following cars I have owned- 99/04 Chevy Cavalier, 04 RSX Type-S, 05 SRT-4, 99 SVT Contour, 05 Tacoma X-Runner, 1994 Mazda 626.

I don't know if it's the weight of this car or what but when I drive this thing in snow, I brace for catastropic events to occur. This morning we've only got about 2-3" of snow on the roads, they're pretty much unplowed/untreated, and man it was scary driving to work.

The VSA in this car seems to be one of the dumbest and most dangerous of features I have ever seen-- when the car cuts power when I start slipping, the car basically stops and I can't move-- in turn I have to shut VSA off in the snow, just so I can actually move.

I will never ever in my life ever by a FWD car, ever. Under no circumstances should I put myself in this kind of danger for no reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2011, 08:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

My fa5 performs like an absolute champ... out of all 3 fwd vehicles, and a rwd jeep, this ones the best performing car in snow. And if you're not shelling out cash for an AWD platform, fwd is the way to go.

What are you experiencing that you believe is sub par?
A Makaveli Mind is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011, 08:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

RPG automotive
yeah i cant complain about this car either. i just drove through 6 inches to get work and the car is fine. i have crap sumitomo all season with like 5/32" tread left. as long as you go slow there is nothing to worry about.
civic tech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011, 08:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

JT
Sounds like someone should put new tampons in before they go out in the snow.

Try driving a Mustang or any other heavy RWD car in the snow and you will realize the civic is pretty damn good in the snow for not being an AWD car.
J.T. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011, 08:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

funny.. the car isnt that much different than your RSX type-s u mentioned....
goon54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011, 08:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

JT
Guys- tires, tires, tires. The car is not the issue, it is the tires. Get some good snows- Blizzaks- even on steel wheels and you will be amazed the difference. I had an 04 Sentra Spec V (front wheel drive with LSD) with summer tires- would not even move in any type of snow or slush- I thought it was an absolute death trap. Put on 4 snows- not even the quality of Blizzaks, just basic snows. It transformed the car into an almost 4 x 4- night and day difference!! I was able to start off even on hills with those snows and the front LSD- which the SI also has.
JT58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011, 09:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

I have blizzaks and i am fine.
VenomInside is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011, 09:10 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT58 View Post
Guys- tires, tires, tires. The car is not the issue, it is the tires. Get some good snows- Blizzaks- even on steel wheels and you will be amazed the difference. I had an 04 Sentra Spec V (front wheel drive with LSD) with summer tires- would not even move in any type of snow or slush- I thought it was an absolute death trap. Put on 4 snows- not even the quality of Blizzaks, just basic snows. It transformed the car into an almost 4 x 4- night and day difference!! I was able to start off even on hills with those snows and the front LSD- which the SI also has.
You obviously didn't even read my post- I have brand new Bridgestone Blizzak WS-70's on my car, and yes it is still terrible in snow.

Driving down the highway at 45MPH, the car suddenly started losing control, and I had to slow way down to keep it on the road- with not even 2" of snow on the roads.

The VSA is terrible, it keeps me from getting up hills, and I have to shut it off. There is NO traction with this car. I have to practically run lights and stop signs in order to stay moving because if I stop, it's very hard to get going again.

My RSX Type-S was amazing in snow, which doesn't make sense because there shouldn't be any difference, they're practically the same car. All I know is when there's 2 or more inches of snow on the ground and I have to drive, I feel like i'm fighting for my life.

My RWD Toyota Tacoma X-Runner with the same tires was way better in snow than this car.

Last edited by shaX 07; 01-12-2011 at 09:12 AM.
shaX 07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011, 09:12 AM   #9 (permalink)

Minh
i get around fine with my summer tires.
Phanatix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011, 09:16 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Absolutely! Snow tires make a world of difference.
DDROUSE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011, 09:17 AM   #11 (permalink)

I'm not surprised that the car was a handful with summer tires.

How new are your new Bridgestone Blizzak WS-70 snow tires? If you've got less than 500 miles on them, they may not be broken in yet.

Google "Breaking-In-Your-Tires" "Tire Tech Information General Tire Information"
(including quotes).

-mr. bill
mrbill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011, 09:21 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbill View Post
I'm not surprised that the car was a handful with summer tires.

How new are your new Bridgestone Blizzak WS-70 snow tires? If you've got less than 500 miles on them, they may not be broken in yet.

Google "Breaking-In-Your-Tires" "Tire Tech Information General Tire Information"
(including quotes).

-mr. bill
So new that we had a massive snow storm while I was still using summer tires, and I literally had to have the car towed to a tire shop so I could buy snow tires because I tried to drive home on my summer tires and I couldn't make it.

That was about 4 weeks or so ago, and i've probably driven on them for 2,000 miles already, because I have about an 80 mile round trip commute to work and back each day.
shaX 07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011, 09:24 AM   #13 (permalink)

I just drove to work this morning in 6 inches of snow with all-seasons and it was not even an issue. Yes the VSA can be annoying at times, but that's why they give you a button to deactivate it. But to say the Si is worse in the snow than an RSX which I also previously owned is a fallacy and I totally disagree with that statement.
BigEasy0420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011, 09:32 AM   #14 (permalink)

People are so quick to blame the car as a whole.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:34 AM   #15 (permalink)

Zach
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.T. View Post
Sounds like someone should put new tampons in before they go out in the snow.
^^^ THIS

My coupe handles like an absolute champ in the snow. I turn VSA off when I have trouble. I did fine in horrible stock tires and I'm doing great on my all season performance tires. (dunlop sp sport signatures)

If you want, my girlfriend can come teach you how to drive in the snow.

Quote:
The only time my spec v ever got stuck was when my tires were about 90% bald, we had 10" of snow, and the plow dumped 2 feet of snow infront of my car.

You don't need Blizzaks to drive this car in the winter.
ProZach626 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011, 09:36 AM   #16 (permalink)

Minh
Quote:
Originally Posted by prozach626 View Post

you don't need blizzaks to drive this car in the winter.
qft!
Phanatix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011, 09:59 AM   #17 (permalink)

This is my 3rd winter with my FA5 and w/ the same set of 205/55/16 Winterforce tires.

Always driving in ~ 6"+ down/up hils, starting out, stopping... no issues...

Go's like a champ and this is the tires' 3rd winter.
CL9 Jon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011, 10:13 AM   #18 (permalink)

Ryan
I drove last winter in this car and didn't have any problems, and some of those storms I was driving around in were 3-9" at times. Much more then 9" and this car doesn't do so well for simple lack of clearance. I was on the Stock Michelin tires last winter too, which aren't good tires in the winter, but they weren't as bad as summer tires either.

This year I have Continental ExtremeContact DWS which aren't dedicated winter tires but are very good in the snow we get here (don't get enough snow for me to justify snow tires). So far I've only had the DWS tires in about 3-4" of snow and they handled great.

shaX, I don't know how you try to drive in the snow, but keeping sensible about it and this car is no problem at all from my experience.
charger2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011, 10:21 AM   #19 (permalink)

Seems like the only person having trouble is the OP.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:31 AM   #20 (permalink)

not true, i am having trouble as well.

Chicago got a bit of snow..not much on the ground but it was snowing all throughout.

Car is very reluctant to start on hills, as OP mentioned..it just sits there..now i have to brake, turn off VSA (people behind me start pulling up and getting pissed) and now go again..all very annoying.

Likewise..few times where i was making a right turn..and car is again reluctant to go, or just slides around, which kind of sucks when you are trying to make a rt. turn on red.

idk if it "sucks" but i personally don't feel as safe in it than my old car (2000 accord v6)...which doesn't make sense, since that car had worse tires, more torque, and no traction control.
Legend Zero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.