Hydrolock -- Fujita HydroShields? - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Regional Honda Civic Owners - Canada > Canada East

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2008, 04:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
dp.

Hydrolock -- Fujita HydroShields?

Hey Guys,

Im a noob to the forum, so far finding a lot of good reads.

Anyways, I just got a Fujita CAI for my R18 from Battle Endless.
Got it installed with my boy in 3hrs (was a baitch tho, but digging the sound now and throttle response is faster! )

I'm worried about hydrolocking. Does anyone have any good suggestions?
Im thinking Injen Hyrdoshield (material) and or maybe heat/water shield (metalic).

Does anyone know which Injen Hydroshield will fit the Fujita CAI for the R18? The cone is 2.5''
Injen Technology Co., Ltd.: Pre-Filters

I know some Metal shields are universal

Thanks for the input,
(Damn, its gonna rain tomorrow . . . fack!)

dp.

Last edited by dp.; 04-25-2008 at 04:09 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2008, 08:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wegue Wegue

Adrian
What do you drive? (Sedan or Coupe)

And you'd have to go through a pretty big puddle to hydro lock.

If you have a sedan, you don't need to really worry. It's covered totally. (except the bottom, where there are vents)

One thing you can do, when you drive through the rain, check your filter, see how wet it gets.
Cr8tive_leo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2008, 12:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
dp.

I have the Coupe in TW .

Yhea, just looing through the lower grill of the bumper, on an angle you can see the Fujita cone-- pretty exposed. I just want peace of mind.

So from your experience its fine in the ran and snow as long as you dont run into puddles and ditches, yea?

I'm tempted to improvise some short of plastic shielding and bolt it on, or just get a prefilter or heat shield. From what I hear Fujita and Injen are very similar with their parts. Thats why im thinking of getting an Injen Hydro Shield (as long as its compatible).

So far from installing it and driving-- I think i might waste more gas from over reving than saving (my original intention). It sounds so noice, dude im loving my Fujita!!

Last edited by dp.; 04-25-2008 at 01:07 PM.
dp. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2008, 01:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wegue Wegue

Adrian
Yup , the Fujita is a nice sounding intake.

For your coupe, I would probably look into some sort of shield. If you can see it.. yeah, prevention is always better, you could be on a road and you don't realize the puddle till it's too late.

*short piece of plastic is the easiest*
Cr8tive_leo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2008, 01:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

momma
I have an injen cai running into the front bumper .. and I cut out the fog light area .. i have no problems ..

What I have heard .. and this is up to you ... you can put a condom over the filter and it wont change the performance .. and is wont let the filter get wet. However the only way you can do any damage is if the cai was submerged in water.. works like a shop vac .. it will just suck strait water .. other then that it isnt a problem .. that means you would have to drive into a puddle that comes up past the front bumper and you would have to be giving it some gas to create that amount of sucktion. Condoms work !!
leeban is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2008, 01:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
dp.

Quote:
Condoms work !!

Yhea I'll def need to do somthing about that than, time to shop for a condom/prefilter. Improvised shielding too . . . Damn, making me worried about the drive later in the rain.
Anyone know which Injen prefilter will fit?

Do you guys keep the CAI on during the winter too?

Last edited by dp.; 04-25-2008 at 01:33 PM.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

momma
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp. View Post

Yhea I'll def need to do somthing about that than, time to shop for a condom/prefilter. Improvised shielding too . . . Damn, making me worried about the drive later in the rain.
Anyone know which Injen prefilter will fit?

Do you guys keep the CAI on during the winter too?
I kept mine on all winter .. mind you I didnt drive it much
(used the winter beater) .. but no issues. The only thing that scares me is the days when its heavy heavy rain and I need to drive somewhere far. But a prefilter works for that or Trojan condom .. make sure you dont get ribbed for her pleasure or something .. lol. But the Injen website sells the prefilter online im already thinking of getting one .. seeing I have an oil filter and its getting too dirty ..too quick .. I hate re-oiling it. So I get the pre-filter and its waterproof and all the dirt will stick to it instead of my filter.. Looks nice in red..on a white si .. mmmm. Anyway I wouldnt be too worried about hydrolock .. I have never heard of anyone (knock on wood) having that happen to them. Just pre-filter it and forget about it
Old 04-25-2008, 02:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Susan
I live in Vancouver, we mainly get alot of rain in the winter and I have had my Injen intake for over 2 years now with out issue(knocking on wood). I have never had issues with it in the snow either.

There was one time I had to stop the car and reverse as I would have gotten stuck in the big road lake that had formed.
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2008, 02:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

momma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
I live in Vancouver, we mainly get alot of rain in the winter and I have had my Injen intake for over 2 years now with out issue(knocking on wood). I have never had issues with it in the snow either.

There was one time I had to stop the car and reverse as I would have gotten stuck in the big road lake that had formed.
What do you think about the Injen pre-filter ?? And how many times have you had to clean and re-oil ?
Old 04-25-2008, 02:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

Susan
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeban View Post
What do you think about the Injen pre-filter ?? And how many times have you had to clean and re-oil ?
I did not run the hydra shield the first year as I was a noob and did not know how to remove my bumper to put it on. In the middle of the summer I had to change out the filter so I threw on the hydrashield. For me I noticed no difference but it is an added peace of mind. IMO.

I will be changing the filter out again in a few weeks since I have a spare. I didn't want to lose the use of my car while waiting for the cleaned filter to dry.
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2008, 02:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Scrodums

You'd have to do something pretty drastic to hydrolock your car. The filter is pretty well hidden inside of the bumper.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:51 PM   #12 (permalink)

momma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
I did not run the hydra shield the first year as I was a noob and did not know how to remove my bumper to put it on. In the middle of the summer I had to change out the filter so I threw on the hydrashield. For me I noticed no difference but it is an added peace of mind. IMO.

I will be changing the filter out again in a few weeks since I have a spare. I didn't want to lose the use of my car while waiting for the cleaned filter to dry.
So even with the prefilter its getting dirty ? I thought it would take care of most of the dirt. Im about to clean mine for the first time .. it sucks to take it out .. and wait for the oil to dry.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:05 PM   #13 (permalink)

you should not worry about it.. you will be fine... hydrolock will only happen if u drive your car into a lake LOL basically water droplets can get in on occasion but by the time it travels up to the throttle, that water droplet basically turn to a mere moist or simply evaporate...

Like i said as long you dont drive ur car in a flood or a huge body of water and submerge the intake in water, then you will be perfectly ok!
rw_blaze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2008, 10:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
ZOE

Jackson Triggs
you won't hydro lock but you'll get water into your engine, which is still bad but not bad where it'll leave you stranded. best thing to do is avoid puddles and the car wash.
ZOE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2008, 12:56 PM   #15 (permalink)
dp.

Cool thanks for the replies.

This is going to be my only car and I'll prob drive it everywhere even in the winter. Ordered a Ingen hydroshield from a place at FMP--$40. Not bad considering shipping and duty if you order from the US.

Last edited by dp.; 04-26-2008 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:03 PM   #16 (permalink)
dp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOE View Post
best thing to do is avoid puddles and the car wash.
Seriously huh, no car washes? (fack)

Last edited by dp.; 04-26-2008 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:12 PM   #17 (permalink)

momma
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp. View Post
Seriously huh, no car washes? (fack)
Well .. I take my car through the touchless washes all the time !! No problems .. but .. I always turn my car off while its being washed just to make sure. But again .. even if the filter gets wet there really wont be enough water in the filter to do anything. The hydrosheild is just piece of mind, it cant hurt to have one. But I wouldnt worry !!

Just dont drive into a lake !!!
Old 04-27-2008, 12:47 PM   #18 (permalink)
dp.

Quote:
Well .. I take my car through the touchless washes all the time !! No problems .. but .. I always turn my car off while its being washed just to make sure. But again .. even if the filter gets wet there really wont be enough water in the filter to do anything. The hydrosheild is just piece of mind, it cant hurt to have one. But I wouldnt worry !!

I feel you on a little bit of water not hurting lol, i'm worrying way too much. For the car wash I'm just thinking about the winter months (too lazy to hand wash then).

Good call on turning the engine off bro! I'll do that.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:57 PM   #19 (permalink)
ZOE

Jackson Triggs
Quote:

true avoid the lake lol

but if you go into a car wash with a underspray thing, theres enough to cause some long term damages. especially in the winter when water can freeze, and slushy engine oil is not cool. Plus, you can always tell if there is a problem if you take off your filter and peek inside the piping, you'll see some water in there. or if you try to vtec it right out of the car wash (like out on the road, not out of the car wash lol)

like i said before, the car wash won't hydrolock your car, but it can cause some water to get into your engine.
ZOE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2010, 11:51 AM   #20 (permalink)

Boss- Ross
After skimming thru this I see that the OP purchased the Injen Hydro shied but it was never answered if the shield would work with the fujita cai
Willyo224 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.