8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

skunk 2 cam help

16K views 92 replies 15 participants last post by  asro 
#1 ·
hi guys

I'm thinking about getting a set of skunk 2 stage 2 tuner series cams for my 07 civic si. i currently have an aem short ram intake, dc sport ceramic coated headers and the skunk 2 exhaust. i want to know how you guys like these cams or if you don't like them why not and what other cams would you suggest? As far as my research goes all i see that i need is the skunk 2 pro valve springs and a hondata tuner. i was just wondering if y'all could provide any helpful tips or let me know of anything else i might need. the skunk 2 web site suggested that i raise my compression how would i do this? I've installed the few bolt ons that i have but never done anything this in depth so i need all the help and pointers i can get.

Thanks in advance

#2 ·
Any big cam will need quality parts. now you need to part out your car and sell the crap you have on there. Short ram.. thats all noise. get the skunk2 intake or hybrid intake. the header you have now is utter crap it doesnt really flow. i would advise you to get the skunk2 alpha header. now is your skunk2 exhaust a 70mm or 76mm? 76 will flow alot better with the bigger cams.

you will need valvetrain for ANY big duration/lift cam and a good tuner that knows what there doing. i highly suggest vitviper here on the forums. As far as the compression goes you do not HAVE to raise the compression that is only at your digression. it would it help/gain you more power yes but its not a need..

#3 · (Edited)
If your getting cams you need a BETTER 3.5inch intake either Hybrid Racing/skunk2. A BETTER header Skunk2 megapower if you find it or alpha. You need a Ported RBC/Stock RRC (if you can find it)/Skunk2 intake manifold. Stock RBC you will lose power.

Now with any aftermarket cams you need compression. I have skunk2 stage 1 cams and im making Stage 2 numbers. Skunk2 Stage 1 very close to a stage 2 cam. Im going to be honest before a Certain skunk2 hater comes ill be honest with you, skunk2 Stage 2 makes power but you need to preload stock tensioner, low cam angle tuning cant be aggressive. But other than that they are great cams. If you dont want to be cautious with skunk2 cams there are other cam options out there.

#4 ·
If your getting cams you need a BETTER 3.5inch intake either Hybrid Racing/skunk2. A BETTER header Skunk2 megapower if you find it or alpha. You need a Ported RBC/Stock RRC (if you can find it)/Skunk2 intake manifold. Stock RBC you will lose power.

Now with any aftermarket cams you need compression. I have skunk2 stage 1 cams and im making Stage 2 numbers. Skunk2 Stage 1 very close to a stage 2 cam. Im going to be honest before a Certain skunk2 hater comes ill be honest with you, skunk2 Stage 2 makes power but you need to preload stock tensioner, low cam angle tuning cant be aggressive. But other than that they are great cams. If you dont want to be cautious with skunk2 cams there are other cam options out there.
Not 100 percent true. if you are just need looking for a reliable set up stock compression will be fine.

#14 ·
Please explain where and who this misinformation's coming from. As one who hasn't done Cams as yet, I like to gather as much info as I can so that when the time comes I'll make the right decisions the first time. You're a god amonst men in this forum so your knowledge is always welcome. And no, I'm not being sarcastic. I show respect where respect is due. Now............If you will.............:clapping:

#11 ·
ive seen the first link on club rsx. It has a PORTED prb intake manifold. So that will certainly make it have better numbers than with just a stock prb manifold.

When a bunch of ppl saw the kelford cams on import tuner they got the cams and didnt produce the same results. Then with the trigger hole for the cams to not line up made it worst. If you want to get those cams go ahead but from my experience with skunk2 stage 1 is for comparison i did 245whp/18Xtq vs stock cams 228whp/16X tq both on eDyno.

#12 ·
just for a reference.i have DC2.2 cams and i made good power on stock compression and due the to fact i have stock compression i couldn't use the 50VTC as juicyjoint can, or else i would have made better power. but here is a comparison of my dc2.2 and with a skunk2 ceramic header vs the PLM

#16 · (Edited)
No, my former car euro EP3 type-r had single springs (k20a2) and i put oem yellow outer, red inner springs.

I know that most of pre-facelifted RSX Type-s and Euro fn2 civic typer (k20z4) have single valve springs as well.

I have no idea about k20z3 and k20z1. Will check cylinder head soon while adjusting the valves.

#17 · (Edited)
all k20z3's have a single spring.

Trust me, i've done valve jobs on a bunch and seen all years from 06 to 11 with valve cover off, single valve springs.

The only year k20 that had dual valve springs was the 2002 k20a2 in the rsx-s. And that was only the early models of that year.

Matter of fact if you go look up parts for the 2002 rsx-s when you look at the cylinder head it will show a graphic with dual valve springs and a dual spring seat :D (these are the seats you use for oem spring combo)

#26 ·
My hybrid TCT is no preload and has zero slap, zero noise , zero problems it is engraved right on the tensioner do not preload . it seems no one really has as much of a problem with S2 as galaxygraysi yet he runs around quoting everyone . I,m pretty happy with what I have.

#30 ·
why is there debate over tct . from what I have read low cam not being tuned right was the cause of tct failure . I have done serious inspection on mine when started cold running cold ,hot and see no issue. no tensioner slapping no nothing . when I first installed my cams I chased a noise came on here read all this garbage about tct problems which I too had already seen from working at Honda but could not link the noise with tct , installed hybrid just to see if it was and we weren't seeing it , my noise turned out to be a very lose header which never showed until more aggressive cam installed . I am sure the stock brand new tensioner would have been fine along with the brand new chain . the hybrid is more heavy duty shaft size plus had teeth on both side of the shaft. as too your point on tct k20z3allmotor if it is a supposed s2 problem why is toda making a tensioner with a stiffer spring ? is it for people with s2 cams? who did razid build his tensioners for , only s2 cams? I call bull....

#32 ·
Missinformation on the forums is rampant. Toda installs a stopper not a stiffer spring, the stopper does naturally give the spring more tension. Toda makes them to make money, because with certain cams more tension is required which can also be the reason they offer stiffer more stretch resistance chain. I use a toda tensioner with DC4 cams

#34 ·
I've ran the sunk2 stage 2 v3 cams, and K20Z3allmotor installed them along with the supporting VT. The only thing that I like from them was the top end power. minor mod range power was seen. Supporting mods that I had on it was a fully port and polished RBC manifold, J35 TB, Rick Spec'd 3.5" CAI, invidia header and q300 and 410cc injectors. I made 260 hp and 175 trq on a pak dyno.

I went through a hybrid racing tct and oem and to tell to the truth, the oem tct lasted longer than the hybrid one! going back and thinking about it I would have saved a bit more and have gotten the Toda A Spec cams

#61 ·
You have lost when you start criticizing grammatical error , that means you have nothing left and your going personal . people choose what cams they want by availability , price , word of mouth and so on , as far as I am concerned skunk 2 is fine , they test they redesign , they make mistakes but they test and redesign and when you want to purchase they are in stock . people say aggressive . I am 53 , I have been building motors since I was 14 when I chose a cam I do not look for non aggressive , I look for high lift , long duration all along knowing that when you play you may pay and may pay dearly . if you don't have the balls don't start . that is just my theory . I wanted stage 1 for a more aggressive daily driver . I made a good choice so far . I learn as I always have by trial and error . I would not listen to someone I have never met on the strength or quality of a part . I have met many people who have built engines and I looked and just scratched my head while they claim to be all that. sorry you have no clout with me , I learn on my own . this tct stuff is bull . in my own investigation I see no chain slamming back on my tensioner and as I said before articles I have read talked of to much low cam causing that problem . this leads me to believe either enough info was not known of the cam setup by the tuner or not tuned at all or not given by the manufacturer .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.