need help - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Bolt-Ons And All-Motor > Cams & Internals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 03:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

need help

just recently started to get interested in making my si faster after 2 years i know a long time lol just got in dynoed at 209 whp with a borla exhuast vibrant headers and k&N sri with flashpro and i want to make it faster now my goal is around 225+ how would you guys suggest i get to this i know cams but dont know almost nothing about that i heard tsx cams are good replacement any help or advice would be apperiated thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 03:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Chase
K24a2....
Chase is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Chapa
need help

Theres alot you can do. Look around the site, check out the build threads, the thread about ppl over 250hp and get ideas.
But i'll give u a few things. U want a good set of cams go with SVM, get a 3.5inch intake (hybrid racing, skunk2, rick spec'd) port your RBC or go with an RRC with a J35 TB.

Last edited by 2007GhostSI; 01-28-2013 at 05:44 PM.
2007GhostSI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 03:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

its a 2007 honda si 4dr and its kinda hard understanding the threads of cams
Willy191 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 03:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Chapa
need help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy191 View Post
its a 2007 honda si 4dr and its kinda hard understanding the threads of cams
Doesn't matter if its a coupe or sedan its the same engine. Just supercharge man quick power. Once u get to 250hp u are going to want more might as well go for more at the beginning
Old 01-28-2013, 03:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

its also my DD and i want it to be my dd just wondering what kind of cams and other stuff i need to buy i dont want to blow my engine or anything just something simple to come 225 whp so i can be happy
Old 01-28-2013, 05:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

Wu-Tang Saga
you want to make power, i did 222hp on just I/H/E and RRC and J35tb. You need 3.5 CAI,Skunk2 alpha header/Full-Race 3" exhaust and get tuned by a reputable tuner.... If you want cams then go with SVM 212 cams and Supertech valvetrain that should make you happy for a while..... I run my SVM 212 cams on my car and havent dynoed yet but should be close to 240+hp.... I daily drive my car and beat on it like no tommorrow....
licea1204 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 05:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

Chapa
need help

Quote:
Originally Posted by licea1204 View Post
you want to make power, i did 222hp on just I/H/E and RRC and J35tb. You need 3.5 CAI,Skunk2 alpha header/Full-Race 3" exhaust and get tuned by a reputable tuner.... If you want cams then go with SVM 212 cams and Supertech valvetrain that should make you happy for a while..... I run my SVM 212 cams on my car and havent dynoed yet but should be close to 240+hp.... I daily drive my car and beat on it like no tommorrow....
You e-tuned bro?
Old 01-29-2013, 02:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

No just regular tuned in look more into the rcc and j35tb see if that helps
Old 01-29-2013, 10:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

Am I the only one whose mind flashes to F&F3 every time I read Borla Exhaust?

Anyways, before thinking about cams you need to do big research into the issues you may experience with them. To my knowledge, the Timing Chain Tensioner becomes something of a regular maintenance item. Though that shouldn't apply to the TSX cam(s) (I think we just replace the exhaust side? Never really considered doing it)

If you don't want to touch the head, the RRC/J35 is a decent combo, but I'd actually stick with the RBC and get it bored out, with those couple ugly ports blocked. A local shop should do it at a decent price, much much less than the $400 asking for an RRC. Also, I wouldn't go J35, it's just.. kinda small and not worth it. ZDX is cheap and much, much bigger

But if you're really serious about making it faster, you likely won't be happy with the couple NA mods you have left. Go for boost.

Also, ditch your SRI for a real CAI, and cat-back for an XLR8, Full Race, GoPwr, Q300 (sorry if I missed a decent exhaust) if you're looking for more power. ETunez are also your friends.

Last edited by Civak; 01-29-2013 at 10:15 PM.
Civak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 10:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
VIP Member

If you just replace your parts now with better parts you would be able to get very close to 225 w/o cams or a ported IM/RRC if that is all the power you are looking for

I dynoed in at 222 with IDPS 3.5 CAI, S2 megapower header, FR 3" exhaust and FP on a base map.

And if you do get the RRC IM or port your RBC IM stick with the j35 TB, that will be more than enough for a small all motor build. You would just be wasting your money on the ZDX unless you plan on going all out with big lift cams and what not.

Last edited by tiZZle2.0; 01-29-2013 at 11:00 PM.
tiZZle2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007GhostSI View Post
Doesn't matter if its a coupe or sedan its the same engine. Just supercharge man quick power. Once u get to 250hp u are going to want more might as well go for more at the beginning
While I understand that mentality, it does not always ring true. I have my Toda A3's and I even switched from a Full Race to a HyTech twin loop (to retain my sanity and not go deaf/make my future newborn daughter go deaf lol), and I am more than happy with the power and balance of the car. I know I'm not the fastest out there, and that's fine with me. But I look forward to driving the car every day and it's been wonderfully reliable.

As long as the car puts a smile on your face when you drive it, that's what counts. It doesn't matter if it's stock, mild N/A, or crazy HP boost monster. It all depends on the OPs priorities/expectations.

OP, I also wouldn't really bother with TSX cams or DICs unless you plan on doing the install yourself. If not, save a couple hundred more and buy a nicer "stage 2-like" cam with valve train. That's what I ended up doing and am much happier.
glxygreysi08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #13 (permalink)

hmm i see anyone have info about the buddy club spec 1 cams had someone offer me some and im interested in them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.