8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Factors that will affect your 1/4 mile time: Newbie's must read!!!

20K views 43 replies 20 participants last post by  davecivic91 
#1 ·
Ok everyone. Just as some background about myself, I'm a 23 year old who had the fortunate luck of growing up with a father who owned a very successful drag strip for 22 years (New York International Raceway Park in Leicester, NY near Rochester). Over the years I've gained insane insight into the world of drag racing, some of which most average or inexperienced racers would never know or even consider to be a factor in your times. Here's some, and please do add if I missed anything.
1. WIND
Most racetracks have an American Flag a flyin'. My father had one right next to the starting line. It wasn't happenstance... he put it there so that racers could look to see the wind direction and roughly how fast it was moving. A headwind slows down cars up to two to three tenths (thats like a 15.0 vs. a 15.3) Crosswinds (perpendicular to the car) can also slow you down, and a tail wind can help you gain speed and lower ET. Remember this and take note when you run!

2. Heat/Humidity
I have a degree in meteorology and in a bunch of physics classes I really got to figure out how heat and humidity affect motor performance. Heat is the number one power reducer, which is why we are always trying to eliminate it (TBS, COLD air intake, interCOOLERS). A hot day will slow the car down, its just how it works. Consequently, too cold will also have adverse effects.

ALSO, and even some advanced racers may not know, but tracks have an ideal temperature as well. Traction compound turns to sludge when its too hot, especially when the sun is overhead. Most of the fastest runs occur after 3pm or so, or even near dusk, when the track isn't sucking in all the light from the sun. Ideal track temp is about 68 degrees or so, which means early or late season for most. Now this effect with street tires is far less that those with 500hp, and slicks, obviously.

Humidity, you simply want less. The more humid it is, the less oxygen there is, the lesser the "quality" air going into your car.

3. WEIGHT
I've seen people take out spares/seats etc. Maybe even go on a diet? LOL. What about gas? I see so many people show up to the track with a FULL tank of gas. FYI, a gallon of gas weighs 6.18lbs. Our fuel capacity is 13 gallons. You do the math... but I don't like an extra 60 lbs in my car if I don't need it. Figure out the mileage to the track and then leave home with the bare minimum for your truly ideal times.

4. I think that if you post on here, especially for newer or more inexperienced people... you should list all applicable mods, the RPM you launch at, and whether you power shifted or granny shifted. Some people don't know how or aren't willing to power shift and that is pretty much the difference between the 15.2 guys and the 14.9's stock.

5. Altitude
Some tracks will be able to tell you, or you can find an experienced racer in the pits with the handheld computers that give you the altimeter. This also effects engine performance based on air density most of the time. Higher pressure will usually give you a better running car. Consequently, high pressure usually means sunny days too!

6. For our cars (Si's etc.), unless you are putting down insane horsepower, there is NO NEED to roll through the water. I go right around. You're immediately giving yourself a disadvantage by dirtying the tires and wetting them. Heating them up will take off miles that they could be used for, and will give you a negligible effect if any. Just get better tires in this case.

7. Tire pressure
How many of you have a pressure gauge in your glove box at the track? How many use it? This is HUUUUUGE when dealing with traction/top speed/etc. Check tire pressures and play with them to find your ideal spot. You want a balance between traction and top speed. Experiment! Most tracks have free air somewhere on sight ( or make buddies with someone who has an air tank!)

8. Talk to other racers
There is ALWAYS someone who knows more than you. Lanes at certain tracks can make a huge difference. At my dad's, the right lane is always faster for some reason. That could be a huge difference.

9. Analyze and PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!
Read the time slips at each part. Figure out what they mean if you don't. Compare with others on the board to see where you are and where your weaknesses are. This will tell you what you have to work on. MPH and 1/4 time can't be their best until your 60', 330', 660' and 1000' are perfected!

I hope this gets you started on your way to drag racing. I strongly urge anyone to try it out if you haven't before. It's safe, fun and god I love the smell of the track. Good luck!

See less See more
#4 ·
nice write up man, about number 7 the tire pressure, If your on the stock tires i find it best to leave them at the normal tire pressure, these cars are not puttin down insane power and torque. If you can control the throttle and clutch right you can get a decent launch, by lower the pressure of your tires you are killing top end.........

#25 ·
ok i live in el paso, tx. i drive a 09 4 door with injen CAi and tsudo exhaust. im running on nitto n1 slicks and my fastest time is a 15.72. my 60 was 2.33. im launching at my rev limiter and my launch is great no wheel hop and very little peel out. still what am i doing wrong.?? other STOCK si's are running 14.9 and im modded and cant break mid 15s!!wtf??
i did have my spare and a few other things in the trunk and a full tank but how much would that knock off if i emptied it out??

#27 ·
09sisedan
im sorry but you really should work on your launch, your gettin 2.33 60' times on slicks, i get 2.2 and 2.1 on stock all seasons....... your probably bogging you launch or something bad and killing your clutch, work on the launch and try shifting quicker (thats the only things i can tell you to work on without watching you)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.