8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Autocrossers: Check in here!

352K views 5K replies 408 participants last post by  kevgraydog 
#1 · (Edited)
Frankly, I'm tired of seeing people consider traffic light antics, and other forms of street racing, "real racing". Technically, we autocrossers are careful not to consider our sport "racing" as we do not compete wheel-to-wheel, but the skills we learn in parking lots across the country make us better than 99.95% of the drivers on the road.

I started this thread to call all the autocrossers forward and let us know who you are, what model Civic (or any other car for that matter) you are competing with and which SCCA (or other club) class you plan on building the car for...

DRIVER:
Anthony "Mario" Crea... I am a 15 year autocross veteran with almost 250 autocrosses under my belt at all levels of competition (regional, divisional, and national).

CAR:
Soon to be a 2010 Mazda 3s (5 door)

CLUB/CLASS:
SCCA H-Stock (local and national level competition)

CURRENT MODS:

Anthony "Mario" Crea
NNJR-SCCA

See less See more
#203 ·
Driver: Randall Harris

Class: We'll see... probably GS

Car: Civic Si Sedan

Mods: None yet or planned. This car is my daily driver. I want to run it a few times before I even think of modifying it. On second thought...the brake pads, rotors and fluid will be changed prior to my first track day, which will probably be in May...

I have been auto-x'ing since 1988. In that time I have run Miatas (rented from Hertz...), a host of BMW's, a 2005 Mini Cooper S and a 1989 MR2 Supercharged (this was a full track car). I have won many 1st in Class in BMW CCA events. At my last event I took 2nd out of 19 cars in the stock 6, 8 and 12 cylinder class of BMW CCA while driving a totally stock (down to the AS tires) BMW X3 (yes...the SUV).

I think this Civic is going to be a bunch of fun to auto-x and I can't wait to get it to the track!!!

#208 ·
Kurt said:
I'm probably going to pick up my wheels/tires in a month or so but won't use them to auto-x. I want to learn on crappy tires first, I've heard that's better.

I never mentioned this in the PM's, but at my first ever autocross way back in 1994 I ran my 1993 Civic on the stock 13 x 5" wheels with the OEM 175/70/13 Goodyear Invicta's... I learned a lot about smoothness regarding steering inputs and braking and throttle modulation very quickly with those tires. This is why I suggested this to you.

Anthony "Mario" Crea
NNJR-SCCA

#211 ·
Driver: Jeff Jacobs

Car: 2006 Civic Si - White

Class: G-Stock

Mods: Crash/Camber bolts. Auto-x alignment. K&N Filter. Magnacor Wires. Smaller Civic front bar. Hoosier A6 and Kumho 710s on Fliks and Enkeis.

Autocrossing since 1990. Started in a `90 Integra. Also have run Neons, a `99 Miata, and most recently Mini Cooper and Cooper S. Have been doing SCCA ProSolo and National Tours and Nationals since 1995.

Posted a video of my first event in the Si on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM755wUDC4A

#212 ·
Welcome Jeff!

For all you noobs, that video shows how us men really autocross. :)

So Jeff, have you fully defected from the MINI camp or are you still running Chiles' base MINI or your own Cooper S Nationally?

Just so you know, Koni anticipates something by summer.

Anthony "Mario" Crea
NNJR-SCCA

#213 ·
honda93 said:
Welcome Jeff!

For all you noobs, that video shows how us men really autocross. :)

So Jeff, have you fully defected from the MINI camp or are you still running Chiles' base MINI or your own Cooper S Nationally?

Just so you know, Koni anticipates something by summer.

Anthony "Mario" Crea
NNJR-SCCA

That was a decent run, but you have to overlook the left-hand turn after the long slalom series where I got in too deep, too hot. It's just so hard to take your foot off that gas pedal cause it makes the cool sounds stop. :vtec:

Yes, the delay in anybody having adjustable shocks for these things is disappointing. If I were campaigning the Si seriously this year, I'd go ahead and spend the money to have custom double adjustable inserts made, but for now my plan is to keep running the 05 Cooper S at national level events and bum rides in new turbo Cooper S's when possible (spirited test drives so far seem to show a lot more low-end, which is good for autox). Then, we'll see how G-Stock looks for 2008 IF the new Cooper S is so fast it gets them all moved to D.

In my opinion, owning and autoxing both, the autocross problems with the Si are that when you are not in V-tec it's an H-Stock car, that 2nd gear runs out too soon for most national-level solo courses, and the straight-line speed advantage is outwieighed by the Cooper S size advantage. The analysis might be different for road racing.

Jeff J.

#217 ·
That why in most pictures you see of auto cross, there are no plates on the car, or they are blurred out or they re covered with blue tape. Also don't know if all regions with SCCA allow you to do this, but when I enter my car, its a Silver Bullet not a Honda Civic Si. As long as you are in the right class I don't think any one would care what your car is called. Reason being for me is the dealers watch the papers here since the results are printed and have been knows to deny warranty work because of what they saw in the paper.

#218 ·
My first event is this Sunday. The suspension/wheels/tires are completely stock. I'd like to keep it that way until my 4th or 5th event. My question is in regards to tire pressure, I heard that I should add an extra 5psi before the event. But I'd like to make sure... can someone please tell me how many psi I should put in the front and rear tires? They are the stock Michelins (all season tires). I know they don't have grip at all, but I'm still going to run with these for the first couple events.

BTW i have a 07 si coupe

#219 ·
Another question is related to helmets. I saw some motorcycle helmets made by HJC and KBC that are Snell M2005. Can someone please verified whether I can use those at SCCA events... or do I have to get one that is SA2005? I think M=motorcycle and SA=special application.

#221 ·
Highrev1 said:
RUn 40-42 PSI front and rear. You will still scallop your tires and probably need new ones in a few events.
Thanks, but can someone please answer the question below.

abs0lutexer0 said:
Another question is related to helmets. I saw some motorcycle helmets made by HJC and KBC that are Snell M2005. Can someone please verified whether I can use those at SCCA events... or do I have to get one that is SA2005? I think M=motorcycle and SA=special application.

#223 ·
Highrev1 said:
4.3.1 Helmets
Helmets meeting the following standards must be worn while on
course: All helmets meeting the current or two immediately
preceding Snell Foundation standards (SA, K, or M), or SFI standards
31.1A, 31.2A, 41.1A, or 41.2A are acceptable.

Thank you sir.

#224 ·
For what its worth, I ran the OEM Summer tires a few times last year in a local street tire class. I even managed to win the class a few times on them (40+ cars in the class).

I ran the front pressures as high as the max pressure on the tire lists, which is 50psi. I ran the rears as high as 45psi, as low as 35psi, depending on conditions.

The car behaved very well on the tires. Mine are for sale if anyone wants them! They have about 40 autocross runs and 12,000 miles on them though! Make an offer!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.