8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Autocrossers: Check in here!

352K views 5K replies 408 participants last post by  kevgraydog 
#1 · (Edited)
Frankly, I'm tired of seeing people consider traffic light antics, and other forms of street racing, "real racing". Technically, we autocrossers are careful not to consider our sport "racing" as we do not compete wheel-to-wheel, but the skills we learn in parking lots across the country make us better than 99.95% of the drivers on the road.

I started this thread to call all the autocrossers forward and let us know who you are, what model Civic (or any other car for that matter) you are competing with and which SCCA (or other club) class you plan on building the car for...

DRIVER:
Anthony "Mario" Crea... I am a 15 year autocross veteran with almost 250 autocrosses under my belt at all levels of competition (regional, divisional, and national).

CAR:
Soon to be a 2010 Mazda 3s (5 door)

CLUB/CLASS:
SCCA H-Stock (local and national level competition)

CURRENT MODS:

Anthony "Mario" Crea
NNJR-SCCA

See less See more
#157 ·
honda93 said:
Sorry Greg, Bossman was right. The Kosei's have a solid spoke design, the Enkei's have the split-spke design.

Anthony "Mario" Crea
NNJR-SCCA
You're both wrong. Well, Greg is half wrong. They're Kosei's, but they're KZ-Vs. The Enkei's spokes are spaced wider apart.

I had 6 RPF1s stolen off and out of the STS car 2 years ago. Sort of a mixed blessing. I used the insurance money to buy 16x7.5 SSRs. But I loved the RPF1s.

#158 ·
1st HI 06 Si said:
Are Kosei a good quality rim? Them are actually reasonably priced a lot of the time and not very heavy.
Hey Greg,

Didn't you guys have the Hoosiers mounted on the Kosei's?

I know a guy who runs them on his DD Miata and loves them. Price is quite good on the Koseis, and they make a 17x7 which matches the stock Si size.

#160 ·
BigDog said:
Hey Greg,

Didn't you guys have the Hoosiers mounted on the Kosei's?

I know a guy who runs them on his DD Miata and loves them. Price is quite good on the Koseis, and they make a 17x7 which matches the stock Si size.

Yeah, 245's and 225's well 4 of the 245's and 2 225's There still around if someone wants em ;) We started with the v710's in the begining of the season, and them moved to the Hoosiers, the talked a little better, from what I am told anyway :)

#161 ·
All right... it has been a while since I played on street tires and had to worry about buying them. I will be picking up a set of base RSX wheels (16x6.5) to use since I am on a wheel budget in the morning. What are "THE" tires to have in the 225ish width for the 16 inch wheels? Kumho MXs? Azenis?

The car is a stock 07 Si sedan if that means anything.

First race is the 24th, so I will be stripping the wheels and painting them soon to prep them for tires next weekend (the wheels are painted white... and supposedly pretty badly).

#162 ·
TexasK20Z said:
What are "THE" tires to have in the 225ish width for the 16 inch wheels? Kumho MXs? Azenis?
When I ran in STS and eventually STX with my autocross-specific 1993 Civic, the hot tires were the Azenis due to their overall grip. If I were running in G Stock with your Si Sedan, I'd personally run the Kumho MX (or the new replacement due out soon) because the Kumho usually has better heat-resiliency properties compared to the Azenis... Especially on such an overworked and heavy front end like a stock Civic.

You'll still nedd to hose the Kumho's down between runs, but they won't get as greasy as quickly as the Azenis.

Anthony "Mario" Crea
NNJR-SCCA

#163 ·
TexasK20Z said:
What are "THE" tires to have in the 225ish width for the 16 inch wheels? Kumho MXs? Azenis?

The car is a stock 07 Si sedan if that means anything.
QUOTE]

I'm running 225/50-16 Azenis on my stock 16x6.5 wheels on the LX and I love 'em. I also drive 100 miles everyday on them. They're a little louder than the crap Turanzas that came with the car, but otherwise, they make the car much more fun to drive every day.

Now if I was you, I would get a set of 225/45-17 Azenis, or better yet, the Advan Neovas (better grip, better in the heat, not available in 16" sizes) for the stock wheels and get rid of the 16" wheels you got. They're not stock class legal anyway. If you're gonna run "street" tires, run them everyday. Save your money for a dedicated set of wheels and tires (like the Koseis and Hoosiers mentioned above) when you want to get serious.

#164 ·
Never mentioned anything about classes because the club I run with doesn't go by SCCA rules. The 16x6.5 are perfectly fine for the club and the car... I will be out-classed at the events any way since there are six classes... S2K street tires, S2K race tires, Miata street, Miata rac, other street and other race. Racing with this club helps keep my budget down since I can have a dedicated set of wheels without forking over all the money of some RPF1s or such. :)

#165 ·
TexasK20Z said:
Never mentioned anything about classes because the club I run with doesn't go by SCCA rules. The 16x6.5 are perfectly fine for the club and the car... I will be out-classed at the events any way since there are six classes... S2K street tires, S2K race tires, Miata street, Miata rac, other street and other race. Racing with this club helps keep my budget down since I can have a dedicated set of wheels without forking over all the money of some RPF1s or such. :)
Again, if I were you, I would consider running 225/45-17 Azenis or Neovas on the stock wheels. That way, you show up, clean out the car, adjust air pressures and race. You also have the benefit of running everyday on the tires you compete on. Dedicated wheels are great if you run r-comps, but I really think they are unnecessary if you run street tires. The time you take changing the wheels and tires out could be used on more productive things like an extra course walk, or bench racing:)

I'm having a lot of fun right now doing what I said above. I'm gonna screw it all up in the next couple of months by doing full National level prep on the car. I want to take a crack at the Nationals again this year, but after that, I'm going to go back to just running the local street tire class in the car.

Now, if you do run the 16x6.5 wheels, I'd suggest the Azenis. The MX sidewalls are just to sloppy to work on a narrow wheels and they are best shaved. The Hankooks just plain suck. The Bridgestone R01-R is an interesting tire. It's good, but is better shaved, and is very pricy.

I'm having a lot of fun right now on the 225/50-16 Azenis 615s on my 16x6.5s right out of the box. They don't heat up as bad as the old Azenis 215s, but do have a sprayer on hand and cool the fronts liberally (about a quart of water on each tire) after the second run and each subsequent run.

#166 ·
OK, I just picked up my 07 Si Sedan which I plan on running in G-stock. Currently, I am leaning towards Kosei K1 TS's with Victoracers. This will be stretching the budget however. Does anyone know of a cheaper setup that would be comparable (slightly heavier wheels maybe)? I have been looking all over the net and can't seem to find anywhere other than Tirerack that sells r-compound tires and rims. Also, what are good alignment settings for this car? I wan't to take it for a performance alignment before the season starts in late March. Any advice would be appreciated.

#168 ·
OhMyRedSI said:
OK, I just picked up my 07 Si Sedan which I plan on running in G-stock. Currently, I am leaning towards Kosei K1 TS's with Victoracers. This will be stretching the budget however. Does anyone know of a cheaper setup that would be comparable (slightly heavier wheels maybe)? I have been looking all over the net and can't seem to find anywhere other than Tirerack that sells r-compound tires and rims. Also, what are good alignment settings for this car? I wan't to take it for a performance alignment before the season starts in late March. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi once again, :) I would say check out edgeracing they may have a set of wheels cheaper that will fit into the GS class. I know enkei RPF's used to work and they were cheap. But I think they are sold out. Sam Karp may have an extra set, But ask him. CHEERS GREG :)

#172 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. I am considering the Victoracers since I have never run on r-comps before and have heard they can be a little more forgiving. I used to auto-x a '96 Miata that put me in CSP due to some mods (brake rotors, steel lines, springs, etc.) and I ran on Falkens. I was competitive with similar cars, but got killed in that class. That is why I want to run stock, but I assume I will need r-comps to have a chance there as well. I found a set of 5Zigen (sp?) 17x7 @ 15.5lbs for $180 which I am leaning towards now. The RPF1's are 7.5" wide so they won't work. Now, I just have to decide on tires......and find the money.:xyxnervou

#175 ·
BigDog said:
As Greg tried to say, but he couldn't put the beer down long enough to type a coherent sentence :) , the wheels must remain "stock" in size but the tires are free.

Stock wheels means stock diameter and width and the offset must be within 1/4" (about .6mm). Type and weight are free. We will be running 245/45-16 tires in front and 225/50-16 in the rear when we go to r-comps. This on a Rota 16x6.5 wheel with a 47 offset which is 2mm from stock.
I'm confused, I thought you were running an Si in G Stock......wouldn't that limit you to a 17x7 ??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.