8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Autocrossers: Check in here!

352K views 5K replies 408 participants last post by  kevgraydog 
#1 · (Edited)
Frankly, I'm tired of seeing people consider traffic light antics, and other forms of street racing, "real racing". Technically, we autocrossers are careful not to consider our sport "racing" as we do not compete wheel-to-wheel, but the skills we learn in parking lots across the country make us better than 99.95% of the drivers on the road.

I started this thread to call all the autocrossers forward and let us know who you are, what model Civic (or any other car for that matter) you are competing with and which SCCA (or other club) class you plan on building the car for...

DRIVER:
Anthony "Mario" Crea... I am a 15 year autocross veteran with almost 250 autocrosses under my belt at all levels of competition (regional, divisional, and national).

CAR:
Soon to be a 2010 Mazda 3s (5 door)

CLUB/CLASS:
SCCA H-Stock (local and national level competition)

CURRENT MODS:

Anthony "Mario" Crea
NNJR-SCCA

See less See more
#27 ·
BATANG CITY JAIL said:
not an autocrosser..but wanna try one, but can't find a track... a nieghbor of mine owend a 1993 rx7 and 2 turbo miata.. and some guys drop by every friday and seen 2 red 2 silver 1 black 2 white 1 yellow rx-7's.. i talk to these guys and they autocross in VA..
Let me know if you find anything closer to Durham. I do plan on moving to the RTP section of NC in a month or two.

#28 ·
that VA race track is the only one closer and theres a dragstrip in rockingham wich is an hour and a half from RTP... i can say that rockingham is one of the good race track in the US... theres always an event going on in there..like NOPI nationals just this past weekend..and here in NC theres a 11mile mountain pass called the tail of the dragon..

#29 ·
holysh*t, I'm moving down there and I totally forgot about tail of the dragon:)

Damn, so I have to drive almost two hours just to autocross? That is going to be a pain in the arse. I guess that is the only way. On a good note, VIR would not be that far from me and I know nasa and a lot of other clubs run events there all of the time:)

#30 ·
venomous said:
holysh*t, I'm moving down there and I totally forgot about tail of the dragon:)

Damn, so I have to drive almost two hours just to autocross? That is going to be a pain in the arse. I guess that is the only way. On a good note, VIR would not be that far from me and I know nasa and a lot of other clubs run events there all of the time:)
Yeah, you almost miss registration at Englishtown and you live around the block from the autocross site!!!

;)

#35 ·
Autcrossing here in SJ CA kinda died down for awhile. Don't know why, but I'd love to get into it too. Anyways, the fools on the street aren't nearly as good as those who autocross. I wouldn't say i autocrossed before, but I have done similar stuff on authorized parking lots where cones were laid out too. I took my friend's EK4/9 (95-99) Civic for 2 laps. I didn't even pass 80mph cus it didn't have long straightaways, but I experienced more G's pulling on me. I want to try it out again, spoon'd b18c-r swap with tein coilovers and stripped to the bare chassis. he pulled 4 seconds faster than a turbo'd integra GSR and 1.2 sconds faster than a 350z. Damn, I'm hella hyped up again.

fun as hell.

#37 ·
ericdc said:
Can you provide any info on the OEM camber bolts? (Part number, tsb, etc)

Would you mind revealing how much camber you ended up getting after installing the bolts?

I currently autox an 05 STi and may end up Running my Si next season.

*FACTORY CAMBER BOLTS: 04512-SNA-305

Approx. $6.00 each (require 4 altogether)

These bolts yield no more than 1/2 degree. Frankly, there isn't much room between the strut housing and the top of the hub to allow anything silly with the OEM units. I am certain something from SPC would yield more, but they are illegal for Stock class SCCA autocrossing.

Anthony "Mario" Crea

#39 ·
poopsi said:
I did this - and I'm disappointed with the results. While I did gain about .4 degrees of neg camber on each side ... I'm now dealing with possible positive camber on both sides.
QUOTE]

I'm a bit lost here; you mentioned that you were able to get neg .4 degrees of camber as a result of switching to crash bolts. How in the world are you dealing with positive camber on both side?
both side of what?
did you not perform and alignment after the switch?

You then talked about to STX because you want to switch to cam bolts that will yield greater negative camber, please help me understand your logic in doing this, since you will not change any other suspension component, and you are still wearing street tires.

What I found during my first autocross with the car bone stock (no alignments), and wearing a set of khumo v710s, is that the car behave way better than I expected. In fact, I felt that there were more times left to be had with more seat time. As Anthony stated, when I was at Englishtown, the car would benefit with a little bit of toe out on all four corners. Furthermore, I found the SI to understeer a bit less than my EVOs and STIs that I've been autocrossing for the past two years.

Awaiting your further explanation . . . .

#41 ·

DRIVER: Rob-o, my second event ever

CAR: 2006 Civic Si

CLUB/CLASS: www.victoriamotorsports.ca / GS

CURRENT MODS:
6500k hid
hella driving lights (honda switch)
vis cf hood
legally cleared corners
tein ss coilovers
SPC rear camber kit
progress rear anti sway bar
225/45R16 kumho victoracer racing tires on RSX rims
DC sports axleback
Injen SR
35% tint
compustar 2 way alarm with remote trunk release actuator (not offered in Canada..)

FUTURE MODS:
EDFC and scangauge II

video/pics here: http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13469

#43 ·
Si-aficionado said:
Even though I haven't yet autoX, I'm a huge fan of it. The concentration and coordination seems nerve wrecking. Maybe will start doing it once I get the Si.
This was at a local event

Those old 510's are killer road racers... But I've never seen one autocross in my 12+ years of doing it. Regardless, it tells you how well they were designed by Nissan (Datsun!) to emulate the success started by the old Ford (Lotus) Cortinas.

Anthony "Mario" Crea
NNJR-SCCA

#45 ·

DRIVER: Greg Gellas

CAR: 2006 Civic SI Coupe

CLUB/CLASS: SCCA G-Stock

CURRENT MODS: Kumho V710 rubber/Hoosier A6's, OEM camber bolts, autocross alignment, Custom DA Koni's, Lx Front sway bar

FUTURE MODS: Improve the driver :) I suck...But not as bad as Jay :p

#50 ·
Tony and I have had this discussion before. I am getting some wheel spin with my si bar. I have switched to the lx and back. The lighweight wheels do add quite a bit of wheel spin, more than the lx bar makes up for imo, and the fact that the car is so camber challenged in stock class doesn't make the extra lean in the car worthwhile to run the lx bar. Tony what's your opinion on this?

#51 ·
Let's put it this way...

I was convinced that the RSX wheels I'm currently using would merely be a temporary setup until I could generate the cash to get custom 2 piece Keizer Racing Wheels wheels like I had on my 93 Civic DX Coupe. However, I can honestly say that the need for wheels has come off the mod list permanently (at least for me in HS).

I can honestly say that the rotational mass hit you take is a tradeoff to the fact that I have very little, if any wheelspin issues on my LX Coupe... And I have an open differential. The heavier wheels literally act like a pseudo-LSD for me!

However, there are those who feel that the Si is already too heavy and that the number must come down. But I am already 200# lighter than the Si as the Si has a bigger, heavier engine and trans than my LX. So one must consider that as well.

Anthony "Mario" Crea
NNJR-SCCA

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.