8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Autocrossers: Check in here!

352K views 5K replies 408 participants last post by  kevgraydog 
#1 · (Edited)
Frankly, I'm tired of seeing people consider traffic light antics, and other forms of street racing, "real racing". Technically, we autocrossers are careful not to consider our sport "racing" as we do not compete wheel-to-wheel, but the skills we learn in parking lots across the country make us better than 99.95% of the drivers on the road.

I started this thread to call all the autocrossers forward and let us know who you are, what model Civic (or any other car for that matter) you are competing with and which SCCA (or other club) class you plan on building the car for...

DRIVER:
Anthony "Mario" Crea... I am a 15 year autocross veteran with almost 250 autocrosses under my belt at all levels of competition (regional, divisional, and national).

CAR:
Soon to be a 2010 Mazda 3s (5 door)

CLUB/CLASS:
SCCA H-Stock (local and national level competition)

CURRENT MODS:

Anthony "Mario" Crea
NNJR-SCCA

See less See more
#328 ·
abs0lutexer0 said:
Still waiting for your tax return? Damn I wish that was the case for me. I've spent it all back in Feb already.
Haha nice job. Spend it on the car?

That's probably what I'll end up doing. I need a front and rear camber kit and I have to pay a 75 dollar ticket :(

But I'll save the other 500 some dollars... to later spend on the car

#332 ·
Dans_Si said:
Hmmm... So where do the 225 tire put me? STX? The car is GS without the tires I think?
Those tires are STS/STX legal. The factory LSD is what puts you in STX. The true R-compounds are the Hoosier A6, Kumho V710, Toyo RA1, Avon Tech RA, BFG R1, and the Hankook Ventus Z214 just to name a few.

Word of advice, just autocross for fun if you plan on keeping that car in that class.

Anthony "Mario" Crea
NNJR-SCCA

#333 ·
honda93 said:
Those tires are STS/STX legal. The factory LSD is what puts you in STX. The true R-compounds are the Hoosier A6, Kumho V710, Toyo RA1, Avon Tech RA, BFG R1, and the Hankook Ventus Z214 just to name a few.

Word of advice, just autocross for fun if you plan on keeping that car in that class.

Anthony "Mario" Crea
NNJR-SCCA
So your saying I would have better chance in GS with a grippy 215 tire?

#337 ·
Dans_Si said:
So your saying I would have better chance in GS with a grippy 215 tire?
GS is probably the best home for the Si without dumping LARGE sums of money into it to be competitive against other STX standouts.

As for tires, stick with what you have for at least 10 events so you can learn the dynamics of the car and what types of loads you'll be experiencing. Once you do that, try these... Get a set of extra OEM Si 17x7 wheels cheap off someone first!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes.jsp?make=Avon&model=Tech+R-A

Look for the 225/45/17 size.

While I don't run Avon's product (I personally use Kumho tires) these are a good "inexpensive" alternative to the higher priced (but faster) Kumho and Hoosier offerings.

Anthony "Mario" Crea
NNJR-SCCA

#339 ·
honda93 said:
GS is probably the best home for the Si without dumping LARGE sums of money into it to be competitive against other STX standouts.

As for tires, stick with what you have for at least 10 events so you can learn the dynamics of the car and what types of loads you'll be experiencing. Once you do that, try these... Get a set of extra OEM Si 17x7 wheels cheap off someone first!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes.jsp?make=Avon&model=Tech+R-A

Look for the 225/45/17 size.

While I don't run Avon's product (I personally use Kumho tires) these are a good "inexpensive" alternative to the higher priced (but faster) Kumho and Hoosier offerings.

Anthony "Mario" Crea
NNJR-SCCA
Does GS allow Avon's if they are in a 215 width? I can't run 225 in GS right.

#340 ·
Dans_Si said:
Does GS allow Avon's if they are in a 215 width? I can't run 225 in GS right.

The beauty of Stock with the R-compound tire allowance is as follows, worded in layman's terms for easy digestibility...

You can fit ANY TIRE, as big or small as you desire, onto the OEM sized wheel.

Anthony "Mario" Crea
NNJR-SCCA

#343 ·
I took 1st in GS and 20th on index at the Milwaukee event. I left time out there too. I just wasn't focused enough as I had a headache putting the event on. The index showing was not bad. Almost everyone in front of me and a few behind me have taken National trophies home before.

It was not a great course for the car too. Plus, it was the first time on Hoosiers (which really helped the car and suit my style a lot better). We will only get about 25 runs total out of these front Hoosiers though before they get switched to rears.

Try to make it up here for the Memorial Day weekend TSSCC and SCCA-Milw events. Mike and I are designing courses for both days, and they should be rather VTEC friendly ;)

#345 ·
honda93 said:
The beauty of Stock with the R-compound tire allowance is as follows, worded in layman's terms for easy digestibility...

You can fit ANY TIRE, as big or small as you desire, onto the OEM sized wheel.

Anthony "Mario" Crea
NNJR-SCCA
tommyroo said:
Hrm...so does that mean my 17x8s put me into the next class because the OEMs are 17x7?
Are you kidding me? WTF did I say in my post? What part of OEM sized wheel confused you?

#348 ·
Crea must not teach elementary school with patience like that!

Yes, 17x8's with street tires (140+ treadwear) land you in STX (up to and including a 245-width tire, anything wider, puts you in STU). 17x8's with R-compounds (DOT approved, but less than a 140 treadwear) land you in DSP (regardless of tire width).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.