8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Autocrossers: Check in here!

352K views 5K replies 408 participants last post by  kevgraydog 
#1 · (Edited)
Frankly, I'm tired of seeing people consider traffic light antics, and other forms of street racing, "real racing". Technically, we autocrossers are careful not to consider our sport "racing" as we do not compete wheel-to-wheel, but the skills we learn in parking lots across the country make us better than 99.95% of the drivers on the road.

I started this thread to call all the autocrossers forward and let us know who you are, what model Civic (or any other car for that matter) you are competing with and which SCCA (or other club) class you plan on building the car for...

DRIVER:
Anthony "Mario" Crea... I am a 15 year autocross veteran with almost 250 autocrosses under my belt at all levels of competition (regional, divisional, and national).

CAR:
Soon to be a 2010 Mazda 3s (5 door)

CLUB/CLASS:
SCCA H-Stock (local and national level competition)

CURRENT MODS:

Anthony "Mario" Crea
NNJR-SCCA

See less See more
#302 ·
130R said:
Good driving Kurt. I watched a few of your runs while I was announcing for you 3rd heat. For a new driver, you are very aggressive. I see that you hit your fair share of cones, but they were "just hits". The dimensions of the 8th-gen's take some getting use too. After a few more events, you will know exactly where the corners of the car are. Good way to start your "career".

I was happy with 1st in Street Tire. It was slightly an emplty victory as TJ had the scratch times to beat me, but they were dirty. Thats not to say that I could have gone faster in the afternoon to catch him if I needed too. Obviously the first run of the afternoon was just to get some heat back in the tires. The second run I wasted. At the time 5th runs started, I was beating Dan and Damon in GS-open. Dan got a 47.9, so I wanted to match or beat it on my last run. No one in class was getting much quicker, so I went extra wild my last run to get a 47.9. I ended up with a semi-slide in the turn-around, which lost me a tenth or two. I ended up with a 48.1 to back-up my 48.0, but my 48.1 was dirty. I still would have been second in GS-open.

For anyone with an 06 or 07 Si debating on what street tires to buy for autocross, 235/40-17 is the way to go. This was a very quick course and I hit the limiter 4 times (one or two bumps only twice though, the other 2 times were riding it for about 4-5 bumps). The shorter gearing coming out of corners is really worth it. I'm glad I did not go with a taller size.

I also have no complaints with my RT-615's after one event!
Thank you

My 2 runs in the 3rd heat weren't clean because I had a passenger driving with me for both the runs - I don't know how much of a difference it makes, could be just mental, but I had a better feel for the car in the first couple runs when I was alone. Minus the first run when my tires were cold (RT 615's) and it was the first time I ever used them on the course.

It's a blast though, I had a great time out there yesterday.

#306 ·
Civic_Sista said:
Where is the gilitifish??? or whatever your name is! I WANT YOUR TIRES!
Someone took Gefiltefish on here. Errrrr.

I messaged you on MySpace about the tires.

PS-Kurt, are you going to the TSSCC event at MGA this weekend? With the possible low entry count, we should get some fun runs. Maybe we can switch cars for a run? :)

#307 ·
130R said:
Someone took Gefiltefish on here. Errrrr.

I messaged you on MySpace about the tires.

PS-Kurt, are you going to the TSSCC event at MGA this weekend? With the possible low entry count, we should get some fun runs. Maybe we can switch cars for a run? :)
I'm not going to make it this weekend, my group of friends are getting together at SIU for the weekend as we do each year. I'll definitely be at the next event though, wherever it is. I got a schedule printed out at home for every event each weekend.

And I'd love to switch vehicles for a run, see how fast you could run my car being experienced and all

#308 ·
130R said:
I was happy with 1st in Street Tire.
yeah yeah yeah always so modest. Man i couldnt put together decent run together all day. I had a 48:xx on that same course at the driver school in worse weather, my best on Suday was like a 49:9 ugh.... oh well.

But yeah, props to you Kurt 3rd place trophy on your 1st event. If you still want your trophy i can let JP know.

Tracy, you should totally head out to MGA on Sunday, supposed to be a beautiful day for autocross!

#309 ·
BAR296 said:
yeah yeah yeah always so modest. Man i couldnt put together decent run together all day. I had a 48:xx on that same course at the driver school in worse weather, my best on Suday was like a 49:9 ugh.... oh well.

But yeah, props to you Kurt 3rd place trophy on your 1st event. If you still want your trophy i can let JP know.

Tracy, you should totally head out to MGA on Sunday, supposed to be a beautiful day for autocross!
Yeah, I wouldn't mind having it actually. I haven't recieved a trophy in a while, hahaha

Thank you in advance

#312 · (Edited)
Interesting weekend in my HS 07 Civic LX this weekend. I'll post a full synopsis later but the highlights:

1. Rear Koni DAs are well worth the money.
2. I love r-comps.
3. Paul Bonaccorsi, driving my car, beat James Wilson in HS today. James has been winning all of the National events in HS on the west coast this year and Paul had never driven the car before this morning.
4. I love r-comps.
5. Don't forget that Chris Shenefield is not just the man behind the RedShift supercharger. He is a driver and knows car set up.
6. I love r-comps.

Did I mention I love r-comps?

Curt

#313 ·
BigDog said:
Interesting weekend in my HS 07 Civic LX this weekend. I'll post a full synopsis later but the highlights:

1. Rear Koni DAs are well worth the money.
2. I love r-comps.
3. Paul Bonaccorsi, driving my car, beat James Wilson in HS today. James has been winning all of the National events in HS on the west coast this year and Paul had never driven the car before this morning.
4. I love r-comps.
5. Don't forget that Chris Shenefield is not just the man behind the RedShift supercharger. He is a driver and knows car set up.
6. I love r-comps.

Did I mention I love r-comps?

Curt
Shhh.... LX's aren't fast. Nor are they cool, and nobody should ever consider autocrossing one. ;)

It's great to hear you are enjoying things so far and have been met with success so early on in the cars development. I've started 2007 off on a strong note as well... And I'm not on Koni's yet.

Points Event 1 (look at Pro and Overall PAX)
http://www.autox4u.com/2007results/4142007nnjr.htm

Points Event 2 (same as above)
http://www.autox4u.com/2007results/4212007nnjr.htm

I'm still sticking to my goal of winning a National Tour or ProSolo on OEM Honda stuff.

Anthony "Mario" Crea
NNJR-SCCA

#315 ·
Highrev1 said:
Wow the LX really does seem to be THE car to have, with some nice R-compunds and some DA's Shocks.....I wonder what a set of moton's in an LX would do for you in H stock class ;) :wavey:
Ummm. Motons. There's a reason they're anodized gold. That way when your wife finds out how much you spent on them she can at least compare them to her jewelry.

Results are up. http://www.solo2.com/EventPage.asp?eid={C6C5CF65-B565-43AF-AC65-E6EF68803944}

Paul B. paxed 13th, very good when you see the list of people in front of him. A lot of jackets and trophies from Topeka on that list, including an interesting name in 4th. Again, not bad considering his first time in the car. I was 52nd out of 211 which is my best result ever locally. Not to far from another interesting name in 50th.

Saturday was a practice day, on a different course. Chris and Will Kalman both got the car into the mid 54 sec range and I had a low 56. My first time ever on r-comps, 710s, mounted on 14lb, 16x6.5 Rotas that are now available through Blackwatch Racing. We ran the rear shocks on full stiff for bump and rebound. You could not push down the back of the car. The front shocks are still to be put together, but the rear really worked nice stiffened up. No alignment yet and no camber bolts. Still a bit of work to go with the car and driver(s), but things are looking promising. Pictures should be up in a day or so.

Good job on your results, Anthony. I think we both got a good thing going.

#318 ·
Highrev1 said:
Wow the LX really does seem to be THE car to have, with some nice R-compunds and some DA's Shocks.....I wonder what a set of moton's in an LX would do for you in H stock class ;) :wavey:
If RedShift wants to sponsor me, I can write up a formal proposal (after doing my Masters thesis this semester anything is easy) and THEN we can see what Motons will do for the car. :)

Whaddya say?

Hell, I'll settle for FSD's once they become available. ;)

Anthony "Mario" Crea
NNJR-SCCA

#320 ·
honda93 said:
Hold the phone... Did Chris relocate to the West Coast???

Anthony "Mario" Crea
NNJR-SCCA
Naw. I drag him out here to "RedShift West" once a year to make sure the gear is up to snuff and to keep everyone honest.

I also wouldn't be suprised if he and Greg show up on my doorstep in the next month or so with a certain car that needs some Hondata love. If they make it Memorial Day weekend, they can run the event we're having that weekend. :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.