8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Autocrossers: Check in here!

352K views 5K replies 408 participants last post by  kevgraydog 
#1 · (Edited)
Frankly, I'm tired of seeing people consider traffic light antics, and other forms of street racing, "real racing". Technically, we autocrossers are careful not to consider our sport "racing" as we do not compete wheel-to-wheel, but the skills we learn in parking lots across the country make us better than 99.95% of the drivers on the road.

I started this thread to call all the autocrossers forward and let us know who you are, what model Civic (or any other car for that matter) you are competing with and which SCCA (or other club) class you plan on building the car for...

DRIVER:
Anthony "Mario" Crea... I am a 15 year autocross veteran with almost 250 autocrosses under my belt at all levels of competition (regional, divisional, and national).

CAR:
Soon to be a 2010 Mazda 3s (5 door)

CLUB/CLASS:
SCCA H-Stock (local and national level competition)

CURRENT MODS:

Anthony "Mario" Crea
NNJR-SCCA

See less See more
#277 ·
BAR296 said:
And you almost had 1st too. i heard you were only like .04 or something behind Brian jones in the big maxima. So i'm guessing you're deffinitly gonna be out on the 15th. if you wanna grab a ride with me at the event just let me know. Glad you enjoyed the school!
Yeah, it was super close and I hit a cone :pat:
But man, what a blast. I got home last night and signed up for the 15th right away. I'd love a ride in the Si, they let people ride along in the competitions?

#279 ·
Kurt said:
Yeah, it was super close and I hit a cone :pat:
But man, what a blast. I got home last night and signed up for the 15th right away. I'd love a ride in the Si, they let people ride along in the competitions?
Sure, as long as you're not working. You'll see lots of us jumping in other cars to improve our knowledge of the course and instruct fellow drivers. You can learn a lot by going for a ride along with both experienced and novice drivers. Look me up on the 15th if you want a ride; #471 BSP.

Nice running Kurt, you had the 3 cone slalom at the end nailed. That was my corner when you were running on Sunday.

#280 ·
Wallyk20 said:
Sure, as long as you're not working. You'll see lots of us jumping in other cars to improve our knowledge of the course and instruct fellow drivers. You can learn a lot by going for a ride along with both experienced and novice drivers. Look me up on the 15th if you want a ride; #471 BSP.

Nice running Kurt, you had the 3 cone slalom at the end nailed. That was my corner when you were running on Sunday.
Thanks, did you see me almost spin out at the finish line on one of my runs? It was sooo close but I caught it and didn't hit the cones.. me and my instructor were laughing so hard because I was hauling some serious ass through that last section.

I went for a ride in Paul Chrt's RX-8.. my god. He ran a 46 when I was with him - absolutely disgusting run. I was like "HOW ARE YOU CONTROLLING THIS?!" It was a blast.

And I'll look for you on the 15th to snag a ride, thanks in advance

#282 ·
Capt Canuck said:
Did my novice AutoX intro day this weekend and it was a laugh for sure. All I can say is Goo Gone is great for getting the cone marks off ;-)
Haha, I had a huge scuff on my right front bumper.. but I just rubbed it off with my finger.

Are you addicted now? I totally am! I can't WAIT for next Sunday's competition.

#283 ·
Thanks to work, it looks like Chicago will be blessed with my presence this weekend too. My job is sending me to South Bend Sat and Mon and I don't feel like driving all the way back to Milwaukee for the WAI event, just to turn around and go back the same day. Therefore, Route 66 it is. About 90 miles from South Bend, but less Chicago traffic to deal with compared to Milwaukee.

If I finish anything worse than 5th in Street Tire, I'm gonna be upset. Mike-you are going to have to give me your RT-615 secrets! Or not, since you want to beat me! Maybe I should just reverse everything you tell me!

#285 ·
130R said:
Thanks to work, it looks like Chicago will be blessed with my presence this weekend too.
Well, looks like our Si count will be up to 3.

130R said:
If I finish anything worse than 5th in Street Tire, I'm gonna be upset. Mike-you are going to have to give me your RT-615 secrets! Or not, since you want to beat me! Maybe I should just reverse everything you tell me!
Lets see you got Yom, Jenrich, TJ, and Bosser. So it looks like its you and me goin for 5th. The key is you gotta run them ice cold with really low pressures

#287 ·
BAR296 said:
Well, looks like our Si count will be up to 3.

Lets see you got Yom, Jenrich, TJ, and Bosser. So it looks like its you and me goin for 5th. The key is you gotta run them ice cold with really low pressures
Yom won't be there (at least he is not registered). Jenrich is running HS open now. The Boozer i'm not deathly affraid about as I beat him frequently last year on my old tires.

I am most worried about TJ, Lingertot, Mic-mic and yourself. Hoch, Lopotko and Bosser have a shot to get ahead of me too and who knows about some of these unkowns and/or new drivers. They have gotten the rust off, which I have not. Assuming we only get 5 runs due to the high entry count, I may not be able to get things together in time.

Still, 6th or worse is going to make me :Mad:

#292 · (Edited)
Kurt said:
Just got my RT615's today.. will be installed and ready to run on Sunday :)

Got my wheels today...
with this weather I'm thinking i might keep my all-seasons on LOL!!! What color did you decide on?

130R said:
Yom won't be there (at least he is not registered). Jenrich is running HS open now. The Boozer i'm not deathly affraid about as I beat him frequently last year on my old tires.

I am most worried about TJ, Lingertot, Mic-mic and yourself. Hoch, Lopotko and Bosser have a shot to get ahead of me too...
whew, Yom and Jenrich not being there will make me very happy. and Tucker always says that TJ wont show up to any event under 60 degrees ::crossesfingers:: and remember mic-mic just started driving the miata so i think we might have a good set up.

#293 ·
BAR296 said:
with this weather I'm thinking i might keep my all-seasons on LOL!!! What color did you decide on?
Hahaha yeah, If it's not at least 50 degrees I'll probably keep my stock wheels/tires on. Sucks.

I got rota sdx's - flat black with the red lip. I wanted something agressive looking for autox, so that should work :lildevil:

#294 ·
We had our first event of the season a couple weeks ago.
Our first outing in the new Si. By "our" I mean my wife and I. She hasn't run in ~5 years when we had the '99 Si. I haven't run my own car in 4 years. Have driven others off and on in those years: Miata, MCS, WRX, STi, S2K.
I've got to tell ya, we had a fantastic time. My wife enjoyed this event more than any other she's run.
I took 1st (out of 7) in GS with an '06 Si Coupe taking 2nd (on 615s). Most others were MCS (not regional/nation competitors though). Wife would have beaten 2 guys in open class!
We're running Avon R's up front and 615s in the rear (last minute purchase). Have yet to get the crash bolts installed.
Next event is a double header this Saturday and Sunday.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/2508000-2508999/2508811_30_full.jpg

#295 ·
BAR296 said:
.... and Tucker always says that TJ wont show up to any event under 60 degrees ::crossesfingers::
Darn, I wanted to at least see him there. He is one of the winner from last year and I wanted to judge myself against him. I already know that I can come close to Yom as we have driven with each other a few different times.

It does bode well for our chances to win though.

#296 ·
NBPSiSedan said:
We had our first event of the season a couple weeks ago.
Our first outing in the new Si. By "our" I mean my wife and I. She hasn't run in ~5 years when we had the '99 Si. I haven't run my own car in 4 years. Have driven others off and on in those years: Miata, MCS, WRX, STi, S2K.
I've got to tell ya, we had a fantastic time. My wife enjoyed this event more than any other she's run.
I took 1st (out of 7) in GS with an '06 Si Coupe taking 2nd (on 615s). Most others were MCS (not regional/nation competitors though). Wife would have beaten 2 guys in open class!
We're running Avon R's up front and 615s in the rear (last minute purchase). Have yet to get the crash bolts installed.
Next event is a double header this Saturday and Sunday.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/2508000-2508999/2508811_30_full.jpg
What kind of aftermarket wheels are those? And what size, weight, and offset (I'm guessing 17x7 and anywhere between +42.5 to +47.5 since you are running in GS)?

#300 ·
Kurt said:
Took 3rd out of 11 in my class (STS) - I left early because I was really hungry and didn't have to work 4th heat. I just found out I won a trophy but wasn't there to get it :( Damnit!
Good driving Kurt. I watched a few of your runs while I was announcing for you 3rd heat. For a new driver, you are very aggressive. I see that you hit your fair share of cones, but they were "just hits". The dimensions of the 8th-gen's take some getting use too. After a few more events, you will know exactly where the corners of the car are. Good way to start your "career".

I was happy with 1st in Street Tire. It was slightly an emplty victory as TJ had the scratch times to beat me, but they were dirty. Thats not to say that I could have gone faster in the afternoon to catch him if I needed too. Obviously the first run of the afternoon was just to get some heat back in the tires. The second run I wasted. At the time 5th runs started, I was beating Dan and Damon in GS-open. Dan got a 47.9, so I wanted to match or beat it on my last run. No one in class was getting much quicker, so I went extra wild my last run to get a 47.9. I ended up with a semi-slide in the turn-around, which lost me a tenth or two. I ended up with a 48.1 to back-up my 48.0, but my 48.1 was dirty. I still would have been second in GS-open.

For anyone with an 06 or 07 Si debating on what street tires to buy for autocross, 235/40-17 is the way to go. This was a very quick course and I hit the limiter 4 times (one or two bumps only twice though, the other 2 times were riding it for about 4-5 bumps). The shorter gearing coming out of corners is really worth it. I'm glad I did not go with a taller size.

I also have no complaints with my RT-615's after one event!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.