8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Autocrossers: Check in here!

352K views 5K replies 408 participants last post by  kevgraydog 
#1 · (Edited)
Frankly, I'm tired of seeing people consider traffic light antics, and other forms of street racing, "real racing". Technically, we autocrossers are careful not to consider our sport "racing" as we do not compete wheel-to-wheel, but the skills we learn in parking lots across the country make us better than 99.95% of the drivers on the road.

I started this thread to call all the autocrossers forward and let us know who you are, what model Civic (or any other car for that matter) you are competing with and which SCCA (or other club) class you plan on building the car for...

DRIVER:
Anthony "Mario" Crea... I am a 15 year autocross veteran with almost 250 autocrosses under my belt at all levels of competition (regional, divisional, and national).

CAR:
Soon to be a 2010 Mazda 3s (5 door)

CLUB/CLASS:
SCCA H-Stock (local and national level competition)

CURRENT MODS:

Anthony "Mario" Crea
NNJR-SCCA

See less See more
#252 ·
abs0lutexer0 said:
I've always thought the 07 SI w/ intake, exhaust & hondata reflash (everything else is stock) would belong in STS. But I heard from someone that it would belong in STX due to the fact that we have stock LSD equipped. Can someone please verify that? Thanks!
STX for the 2006+ Si due to the factory gear-based LSD.

#255 ·
abs0lutexer0 said:
wow that sucks... there's no way in hell the SI can be competitive in that class
Hate to say it, but from a competitive aspect, the Si won't be competitive in any SCCA class it is placed unless you throw big $$$ into it.

That's why, as uncool as it may seem on the surface, I picked the LX Coupe... At least I've beaten the base MINI (driven by some top names) at National-level events to back this up. I don't know of any Si run in GS, STX, or otherwise to have beaten the Cooper S (with a National-level driver behind the wheel) enough times to make the Si a potential alternative.

Sometimes, that's the way the game works. In those cases, you just have to step back and ask yourself two things:

1. Am I in this just to have fun?
2. Do I hope to "profit" (in the form of contingency) from the sport?

If you chose the first choice, ignore everything I said above. However, if you chose the second, then either spend your way to fast, or sell the car and get something else.

Anthony "Mario" Crea
NNJR-SCCA

#256 ·
honda93 said:
Hate to say it, but from a competitive aspect, the Si won't be competitive in any SCCA class it is placed unless you throw big $$$ into it.

That's why, as uncool as it may seem on the surface, I picked the LX Coupe... At least I've beaten the base MINI (driven by some top names) at National-level events to back this up. I don't know of any Si run in GS, STX, or otherwise to have beaten the Cooper S (with a National-level driver behind the wheel) enough times to make the Si a potential alternative.

Sometimes, that's the way the game works. In those cases, you just have to step back and ask yourself two things:

1. Am I in this just to have fun?
2. Do I hope to "profit" (in the form of contingency) from the sport?

If you chose the first choice, ignore everything I said above. However, if you chose the second, then either spend your way to fast, or sell the car and get something else.

Anthony "Mario" Crea
NNJR-SCCA

I'm in this for fun. At the same time I want to get good at driving and be able to beat other cars (especially the Cooper S) in my class. However, I never thought about profiting from the sport. I don't plan on competing on a national level.... at least for now. Maybe in the future when I'm more hardcore into the sport, then I'll consider what you said about the second choice... and get another car (probably a S2K, ZO6 or RX7... I've never driven a RWD sports car).

#257 ·
honda93 said:
Hate to say it, but from a competitive aspect, the Si won't be competitive in any SCCA class

I don't know of any Si run in GS, STX, or otherwise to have beaten the Cooper S (with a National-level driver behind the wheel) enough times to make the Si a potential alternative.
I agree..and Me either :Mad: You just can't compete against the Cooper s in this car. Too many thing going against you. Thats why I will be competting in a different car this year ;) :vtec:

#258 ·
Highrev1 said:
I agree..and Me either :Mad: You just can't compete against the Cooper s in this car. Too many thing going against you. Thats why I will be competting in a different car this year ;) :vtec:

Greg,

Any thoughts to my last post on page 25 of this thread? It was regarding the massive price increases on R-compounds. What does Chris think of this?

Anthony "Mario" Crea
NNJR-SCCA

#259 ·
You gotta pay to play. I know that sucks ars, but when we all got into this sport we knew it wasn't a cheap thing to do.
At what point do you say ok this costs too much for me to try to be competiitve. Its getting closer, especially with the way I personally go through tires, and cars.

But then again MAHJONG isn't getting any more attratice to take up...So it looks like were stuck.

#260 ·
honda93 said:
Greg,

Any thoughts to my last post on page 25 of this thread? It was regarding the massive price increases on R-compounds. What does Chris think of this?

Anthony "Mario" Crea
NNJR-SCCA
Chris and I were talking about this yesterday. The Kumho price increase was a total shock to me last week. I was going to get a set of 710s to go on my car first before going to Hoosiers. The main reason was for the supposed longevity of the tire as opposed to the Hoosier. Now I'm not sure. How many runs do you get on a set of 710s Anthony? I hear 40-60 for the Hoosiers on Mini's.

As far as Chris goes, he's probably not too concerned about the price of tires right now. Especially r-comps. Stay tuned.

#261 ·
abs0lutexer0 said:
wow that sucks... there's no way in hell the SI can be competitive in that class
Nationally? Maybe not. Locally? Sure it can. If you get some good coil-overs / camber plates, a big rear sway bar, 17x8 wheels and 245/235-40-17 tires, the car could be fun and fairly competitive at a local event. The lack of negative camber is the big killer for the car in stock form. Get the suspension dialed in, and you could give at least the other FWD/RWD cars in class a hard time.

Now against a completely STX prepped WRX...

#262 ·
BigDog said:
Chris and I were talking about this yesterday. The Kumho price increase was a total shock to me last week. I was going to get a set of 710s to go on my car first before going to Hoosiers. The main reason was for the supposed longevity of the tire as opposed to the Hoosier. Now I'm not sure. How many runs do you get on a set of 710s Anthony? I hear 40-60 for the Hoosiers on Mini's.

As far as Chris goes, he's probably not too concerned about the price of tires right now. Especially r-comps. Stay tuned.
"Shock" is putting it mildly. But apparently these price increases affect every brand and every genre of tire. So, I guess I'll have to reevaluate my position in a year from now.

Anyway, I had over 100 runs on my V710's before cord, but they we beginning to slow down ever so gradually after 50 or so runs (unlike Hoosiers which die off like a mosquito hitting a windshield), just like everyone says. So for ultimate speed, you really have to "conserve" if you're in a position like me where I only get one set a year and I stretch them from March ~ November, mixed with 2 National events in there just to make things interesting!

I don't understand, is Chris co-driving your car so therefore he's buying tires as part of the deal?

Anthony "Mario" Crea
NNJR-SCCA

#263 ·
honda93 said:
"Shock" is putting it mildly. But apparently these price increases affect every brand and every genre of tire. So, I guess I'll have to reevaluate my position in a year from now.

Anyway, I had over 100 runs on my V710's before cord, but they we beginning to slow down ever so gradually after 50 or so runs (unlike Hoosiers which die off like a mosquito hitting a windshield), just like everyone says. So for ultimate speed, you really have to "conserve" if you're in a position like me where I only get one set a year and I stretch them from March ~ November, mixed with 2 National events in there just to make things interesting!

I don't understand, is Chris co-driving your car so therefore he's buying tires as part of the deal?

Anthony "Mario" Crea
NNJR-SCCA
I've heard 80+ runs with fall off halfway through from other 710 users, so 100/50 is quite good. I'll still probably start my set up on 710s at this point because they do seem to last longer. But, yes, the price increase is concerning. I've mentioned to you before that this year will probably be the last hoorah for me with a National effort. After that, I'll probably set the car up to run in our local stock street tire class or with a mild STS tune.

With Chris and I on opposite coasts, co-driving really isn't an option. Without giving too much away, look for Chris in an ST* car this year with a big sticker on the side.

#265 ·
I was running approx. 41-42psi in all 4 tires at the event this weekend and I noticed that my car really understeered. One of the experience FWD drivers ride with me and gave me an advice in regards to tire pressure. He adviced me to put more pressure in the rear tires, so that my rear would slide out more during the turns. Now I'd like to get some input from my fellow 8thcivic autocrossers, since we drive the same cars. (FYI he drives an 88 crx, so I don't know if his advice would apply to my application). Do you guys agree with what he's saying? And what tire pressure would you guys advise me to put on my front and rear? FYI My suspension is stock and I'm running on the all season tires that came with the car.

#267 ·
BigDog said:
So yes, the higher pressure in the back will get you some rotation, but a lower pressure will get you a more controlled rotation. This is a contradiction to normal autocross theory, but a lot of fast guys are using lower pressures. If you get a chance to test, try both. Your driving style might also dictate which pressure theory works for you.

Ok... I guess I'll try both techniques and see which technique would work best for my driving style.

#268 ·
We have attempted to campain the FG to be competitive in GS last year. Go with the lower pressures, tooo snappy with the higher ones.

"We ran as low as 12 psi in the back (yes 12) trying to get the car to rotate and not abuse the front tires. When the front tires got hot, the car got even worse.... we had absolutely as much toe out in the rear as possible, and we were still a second off the fastest guys."

The fastest guy being in a mini Cooper S :( Not to worry the Si will be my track day car ;)

#269 ·
As many of you can tell, I am pretty bothered by these tire price increases. So I did the democratic thing and wrote an email to KumhoUSA directly...

My name is Anthony Crea and I've been a long-time Kumho supporter because of the performance vs. longevity advantage your product offered compared to Hoo$ier.

However, the recent price increases on almost every tire on the market is the main reason I write today... More specifically, the increases I faced when ordering my set of V710's for the 2007 SCCA Solo season was appalling!

I'll be perfectly honest, Kumho stands to lose a lot of business from within the SCCA community now that you offer a product that is basically the same price as Hoo$iers, yet is a tad slower in most instances... And the fact that Hoo$ier offers tires to those who place well at National events will only alienate even more people.

See where this is going?

I am a teacher, not a businessman, but if Kumho is to retain its place amongst the SCCA Solo community, you need to absorb any raw materials/production price increases within your "bread and butter" products. Most of the general tire-buying public won't notice a dollar or two here and there given the sales volume differences.

However, you need to lower the prices on the V710 and your other R-compound tires by the end of the 2007 season, or as I said earlier, I feel you will lose your stance amongst this loyal group of consumers.

I don't know if this message will ever be read by anyone, but regardless, I thank you for your time.

Anthony Crea
NNJR-SCCA

#274 ·
These past 2 days were just amazing, I am so hooked now. I had plans to turbocharge my car, but now I'm thinking adjustable shocks (when they come out) wheels/tires definitely, bigger rear sway, camber arms and bolts - and I should be killing cars in STS.

I just had an absolute blast this weekend.

#275 ·
Kurt said:
These past 2 days were just amazing, I am so hooked now. I had plans to turbocharge my car, but now I'm thinking adjustable shocks (when they come out) wheels/tires definitely, bigger rear sway, camber arms and bolts - and I should be killing cars in STS.

I just had an absolute blast this weekend.
And you almost had 1st too. i heard you were only like .04 or something behind Brian jones in the big maxima. So i'm guessing you're deffinitly gonna be out on the 15th. if you wanna grab a ride with me at the event just let me know. Glad you enjoyed the school!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.