8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Autocrossers: Check in here!

352K views 5K replies 408 participants last post by  kevgraydog 
#1 · (Edited)
Frankly, I'm tired of seeing people consider traffic light antics, and other forms of street racing, "real racing". Technically, we autocrossers are careful not to consider our sport "racing" as we do not compete wheel-to-wheel, but the skills we learn in parking lots across the country make us better than 99.95% of the drivers on the road.

I started this thread to call all the autocrossers forward and let us know who you are, what model Civic (or any other car for that matter) you are competing with and which SCCA (or other club) class you plan on building the car for...

DRIVER:
Anthony "Mario" Crea... I am a 15 year autocross veteran with almost 250 autocrosses under my belt at all levels of competition (regional, divisional, and national).

CAR:
Soon to be a 2010 Mazda 3s (5 door)

CLUB/CLASS:
SCCA H-Stock (local and national level competition)

CURRENT MODS:

Anthony "Mario" Crea
NNJR-SCCA

See less See more
#227 ·
130R said:
For what its worth, I ran the OEM Summer tires a few times last year in a local street tire class. I even managed to win the class a few times on them (40+ cars in the class).

I ran the front pressures as high as the max pressure on the tire lists, which is 50psi. I ran the rears as high as 45psi, as low as 35psi, depending on conditions.

The car behaved very well on the tires. Mine are for sale if anyone wants them! They have about 40 autocross runs and 12,000 miles on them though! Make an offer!
Thanks Sam. That's just what I wanted to know... Now I don't have to ask on 3/31.

#232 ·
I'm planning to get some tires for the wheels that I just purchased. I got some kosei k1s (16x7.5 +43) and I'd like to run at least 225/45. Do you guys think I can fit any wider tires (235 or 245) w/o rubbing? I did some research and there aren't a lot of tire selections for 16s. I think the widest I've seen are 225s (please correct me if I'm wrong). The car is a daily driver, and I only have money for 1 set of wheels, so I won't be getting any r-compounds. I'm looking at the Falken Azenis RT615 225/50-16 and Kumho Ecsta SPT 225/45-16. I'd like to run 225/45-16, but the Azenis don't come in that size. What do you guys recommend?

#238 ·
Kurt said:
These helmets are expensive :(

And do you guys wear gloves? Does it make a difference?
I do, i bought them because i ran into a couple times where i lost grip or my hands slipped off the wheel mid-turn. If you really want come find me at the Learning Curve and you can try mine before you go out and buy some.

for helmets we use Snell ratings (95 and newer) but typically you'll find '00 and newer helmets being sold by dealers.

#249 ·
Ran my first event today. Managed to get second place out of 5. I lost to a Mini S. I definitely have a lot of things to work on though. Driving on stickies is completely different to what I am used to. It's going to be fun learning the limits though. ;) Now, off to put lotion on my sun burn.....:pat:

#250 ·
This may change things for me in 2008 and beyond...

http://sccaforums.com/forums/1/238177/ShowThread.aspx#238177

As I told some of my friends, at $199 a tire now (up from $166) for a 225/50/16, the Kumho V710 is losing its stance as a longer-lasting alternative to the Hoo$ier A6. The Tire Rack now sells them for basically $850 a set shipped.

Admittedly, even though I've been autocrossing for 14 years, I, on some level, have trouble justifying a set of R-compounds at that price point on something like an H Stock Civic LX.

Sorry, but if I owned an Elise, a Vette, or something else in Super Stock or A Stock, I'd justify the damn tire price increases because, honestly, I'd be driving a true sports car in the first place, not some economy car with sticky tires and a big fat front sway bar.

Although I love the fact that I win money at National level autocrosses because I place well, it is never enough to pay for the set of tires I used, let alone fund a second set. I may say f*** it and go with street tires and a special shock setup instead of just R-compounds in 2008 and beyond IF this insane tire price jump doesn't reverse itself.

Anthony "Mario" Crea
NNJR-SCCA

#251 ·
I've always thought the 07 SI w/ intake, exhaust & hondata reflash (everything else is stock) would belong in STS. But I heard from someone that it would belong in STX due to the fact that we have stock LSD equipped. Can someone please verify that? Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.