AutoX Advice... - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Autocross & Sanctioned Drag Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2012, 05:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Dave
AutoX Advice...

So a couple months ago I had my first autox. It was really fun, placed 17th out of 37, and 3rd in class (lost to 2 highly modded s2k's).

Now there are a couple things that I had issues with. First, I kept my VSA on since I am not 100% used to how the car handles with it off. I dont think that i like it on, it cut too much power to the engine when I needed it, but I still had terrible understeer in the tight corners. I think I could do better with the VSA off, feathering the throttle to help control the understeer. What do you guys do? Advice and techniques?

Next, I know I had the wrong tires for this, Goodyear Eagle GT's. They were terrible, and since they were at 32psi there was tire wear all the way to the letters. So I should use a higher psi for all seasons? Correct?

Lastly, since Ive had an autocross and now am trying to get ready for the next one, is there anything in particular that you guys do to help improve your times, besides seat time? Any advanced techniques, ect.?

I can post the video of my fastest time if you want. Constructive criticism is always the best!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2012, 02:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

What mods do you have?
slammed em1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2012, 12:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Definitely turn VSA off for auto-x. It will work against you to prevent the car rotating and give you understeer instead. It also makes it harder to learn the limits of the car.

PSI: too much and the tires lose grip. Too little and they will roll over onto the shoulder too much.

Other techniques:

Get there early and walk the course. Try to look ahead as you do this and record the apex and exit cones in your mind.

After a run, think about what you would like to improve, then close your eyes and drive the course in your mind, building in those improvements. This is not easy. For the first two runs, if you can simply imagine your way around the course you are doing well.

Be smooth - think about the elasticity of the tires. Elastic bands snap if you pull them quickly (tires skid if you jerk them), but stretch out further than you would expect if you slowly pull on them (tires grip more if you load them up gradually)

Finally, carry more speed into the corners, use trail braking (or even just lift off throttle braking) and a later apex to avoid too much power-on understeer on the exit. A little understeer on the way in is OK as long as you make the correct apex. Too much and a missed apex means you came in too fast, or trail braked too much.
bludragon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Dave
Thanks for the advice dragon.

Slammed em1, my mods at the time of the autox was just injen cai and hybrid cable bushings. Currently I have injen cai, flashpro, hybrid full short shifter and hybrid bushings.
clark3554 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 06:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Chris
I'm looking to start autocrossing next season. My dad used to autocross his porsche 912 back in the day, he managed to find this ( SCCAForums.com - SCCA Racing Discussions > Programs > Autocross > Autocross Handbook) read through it and it gave me a much better idea of what i should try to do. hope it helps
cwhoward94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 09:33 AM   #6 (permalink)

Sounds fun might get into this.
TotaledSedan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.