The Official HPDE / Track Thread - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Autocross & Sanctioned Drag Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2012, 03:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Alex
The Official HPDE / Track Thread

I've been noticing the AutoX thread lately and just noticed there was no official Track / HPDE threads, mostly threads from MikeJ that get a lot of attention. So I think this should be the official Track / HPDE talk and chat thread.

I'll attempt to post up any links I find here that relate to this thread so they're easily found.

Good Thread with a little chat and good recommendations.
Getting more serious into racing... Suggestions?

Phenomenal Oil Thread, READ the thread from the Ferrari Forums!
Racing and Oil: Clarify and learn

Our Brake Upgrade Options
Brake options

TSX Brake Swap
TSX Brake Swap / Upgrade

FA5 brake ducts
FA5 brake ducts

Speed Bleeders for Brakes
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/do-yo...tallation.html

Good Suspension Thread (For serious suspension not junk coil overs)
Comparison: Stock Suspension vs. HFP Suspension vs. KONI/ Swift Springs Suspension

List of Coil-over options (I would add Both sets of Godspeed coil-overs to this list as well.)

Coil-over options for the 06+ Civic
Next I'll give a little info about myself and it would be cool if we could copy the AutoX thread and get little introductions on people.

Name: Alex
Cars: 2009 Civic Si (Just a progress sway bar on it), 1998 BMW M3 Sedan (Track Rat)
Info: This will be my second track season and will be my first with the Civic, last year I had the pleasure to drive at New Hampshire International Speedway, and Watkins Glen, in a number of different e36's.

So who are the other track rats on the forum?

Last edited by Guerra; 02-21-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2012, 03:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

the anonymous Si driver.
Good idea. I am planning to get into lapping days at our local track (Mid America Motorplex). However, I'm going to be running my EJ6 that I just picked up. I might try the FA5 eventually, but I'd rather keep it as a daily. I've always wanted to run at a track and I just might get that chance this year.

Whoops, forgot the car's specs:

Cars:
2007 Honda Civic Si - aftercooled s/c and E85, progress springs & konis, progress RSB, other stuff
1999 Honda Civic DX Hatchback (EJ6) - b16 swap, ground-control/konis (400/500), Suspension Techniques front & rear sway bars, lots of other stuff

Info: Mid America Motorplex, possibly other Midwest tracks if it goes well

Last edited by HRsi-dan; 02-15-2012 at 03:47 PM. Reason: car specs
HRsi-dan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 08:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Anthony
Good idea. How much do you think the progress rsb helped just on its own?
Also, if anyone can give me some suggestions other than HP+ and yellowstuff on a dual purpose HPDE/track pad that'd be great
BlackFA522 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 09:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Alex
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFA522 View Post
Good idea. How much do you think the progress rsb helped just on its own?
Also, if anyone can give me some suggestions other than HP+ and yellowstuff on a dual purpose HPDE/track pad that'd be great
It helped but honestly for the money, I would have saved a little extra and got the HFP suspension.
Guerra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 10:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Anthony
Im maybe a week away from having the $ for HFP suspension, but i also would like to get a few different cheaper things like rsb, pads, fluid, lines, etc.. And I'd rather koni/ground control or redshift but im not sure if its worth the extra money performance wise. I could give a **** looks wise, the only person that will notice is me and im more of a function over form kinda person
Old 02-15-2012, 11:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Alex
Well how far into your track life are you? If you're just starting out you can say heck to the suspension and invest you money into really getting the car ready, aka a good set of pads, proper brake fluid, SS lines, and a good alignment. I have yet to take my Civic on the track but front what I've read the biggest issue is the alignment in over steer. Look into alignment specs and with maybe some 30$ camber bolts and the right specs you can get way more performance than a RSB is worth.

You can also use some cash to get yourself a good track day box, so a nice aluminum jack, jack stands, tire pressure gear etc.

What tires are you on now? The first thing you'll out drive in this car are the stock pads and tires.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Anthony
1 auto-x and no HPDE/track, a good amount of go karting lol but thats completely different.

Pads and fluid are already first on the list, ss lines im not sure about. How much of a difference do they really make? Also, how much does resurfacing for new pads cost?

I dont want to put in camber bolts until i actually get an alignment which i dont want to do until i change something in the suspension lol, ill see how much an alignment is

Ordering jacks from amazon w/ the brake stuff, i just use a normal tire pressure gauge, not a fancy one

Im still on stock tires but they'll be done within the next 2 autox's, and i figure i might learn how to drive the car better with the low limits of these sh*t all seasons
Old 02-16-2012, 10:28 AM   #8 (permalink)

Matt
Hey I'm Matt from Tennessee

2008 FG2 stock except SS lines.
Tires: Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec
Brake Pad opinion:
Front: It is hopeless to run the stock setup, need more mass or more cooling. I ran 1600F pads and they overheated and self destructed in a day. I will be running Cobalt XR2's this season.
Rear: Hawk HP+ pads have been great. Still tons of life on them.

I've done 2 HPDE's and a season of AutoX at Road Atlanta and VIR
I post some YouTube videos of my driving on LostBoysProduction Channel

I'm looking to go to Atlanta Motorsports Park this season, as well as continue to autox.

I'm also working on a novel brake duct. Once completed I'll start a thread on it. (hopefully it will work!)
matchu865 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2012, 04:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

Alex
Quote:
1 auto-x and no HPDE/track, a good amount of go karting lol but thats completely different.

Pads and fluid are already first on the list, ss lines im not sure about. How much of a difference do they really make? Also, how much does resurfacing for new pads cost?

I dont want to put in camber bolts until i actually get an alignment which i dont want to do until i change something in the suspension lol, ill see how much an alignment is

Ordering jacks from amazon w/ the brake stuff, i just use a normal tire pressure gauge, not a fancy one

Im still on stock tires but they'll be done within the next 2 autox's, and i figure i might learn how to drive the car better with the low limits of these sh*t all seasons
Okay so driver mod will be the first, good! You're On the right track and good pads / fluid will set you up for a nice track day, pads will go fast no matter how you are on the track these cars just eat pads because of the heat. If you plan on continuing the track life foresee tsx or accord calipers / rotors in the very near future. Till then save up and eat every track day possible! It's addictive!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 02-16-2012, 04:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

rori ( f*ck your form ) <3
car: 07 fa5
Tires: Always changing lol, currently on federal rsr 225/40 on 18x8.5 pf01. Going to a 17x8.5/7.5 reverse stagger on ce28. Tires arnt on them yet however. Likely getting 255/225 rs3.
Suspension: Skunk2 pro-c w/ 14k rear springs. Progress rear sway. SPC v2 rear camber. PCI front lca spherical bushings going on soon. Be the first 8th with them . LMK if anyone is interested in them, i'm in touch with the owner of PCI.
Brakes: dc5 brembos up front w/ project mu club racer. Stoptech rear pads. Motul RBF600.
Have bolt ons and flashpro w/ a base map. Clutch Masters fx200 and hybrid racing CMC.

Track at mainly buttonwillow and streets of willow here in southern cali. Planning to change to ASR's custom kw v3 suspension using ASR camber plates and hyper coil springs.

Random interior mods, and slight amount of aero. 4" front splitter with a 1" air dam is in the works. Splitter will be 2.5" off the ground when complete. Should help a great deal at buttonwillow where there are quite a few high speed turns.

Weee i hope this thread turns out well.
Ayodog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2012, 06:52 PM   #11 (permalink)

Anthony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerra View Post
Okay so driver mod will be the first, good! You're On the right track and good pads / fluid will set you up for a nice track day, pads will go fast no matter how you are on the track these cars just eat pads because of the heat. If you plan on continuing the track life foresee tsx or accord calipers / rotors in the very near future. Till then save up and eat every track day possible! It's addictive!

Yes! I asked for driving school for my bday but once i realized how expensive it was, i figured i could get a lot of autox, karting, and track days of my own in. My friend has an accord V6 and he doesnt care about it, u think we could just do a swap? lol. I also like the TL-S brembo swap but i wouldnt spend much extra on it. I have the money now, so i might as well just do the brakes right the first time.

Just autox is very addictive, i take every chance i get to autox or kart, but down here autox's are infrequent and none of my friends want to kart a lot because its expensive.
Thanks for the advice!

Oh, what do you think about wilwood bbk?
Its $600 from corsport and a 12.2 (2 piece) rotor, so i wouldnt have to do any looking around for the tsx or tl-s brakes.
Also excelerate has a 12.6 (1 piece) wilwood bbk for 800

Last edited by BlackFA522; 02-16-2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:02 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
What tires are you on now? The first thing you'll out drive in this car are the stock pads and tires.
For sure. Luckily, I didn't reach the limits of the stock brakes on my FG2, but my first weekend of HPDE absolutely murdered the stock all-season front tires.

My car: 2011 FG2
Wheels/Tires: Kosei K1 TS (14lbs each!). Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec
Suspension: HFP kit (not yet installed)
Brakes: Still OEM. I'm leaning towards Hawk HP+ pads, possibly SS lines as well
Sugar Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2012, 08:07 PM   #13 (permalink)

Alex
Quote:
Yes! I asked for driving school for my bday but once i realized how expensive it was, i figured i could get a lot of autox, karting, and track days of my own in. My friend has an accord V6 and he doesnt care about it, u think we could just do a swap? lol. I also like the TL-S brembo swap but i wouldnt spend much extra on it. I have the money now, so i might as well just do the brakes right the first time.

Just autox is very addictive, i take every chance i get to autox or kart, but down here autox's are infrequent and none of my friends want to kart a lot because its expensive.
Thanks for the advice!

Oh, what do you think about wilwood bbk?
Its $600 from corsport and a 12.2 (2 piece) rotor, so i wouldnt have to do any looking around for the tsx or tl-s brakes.
Also excelerate has a 12.6 (1 piece) wilwood bbk for 800
What year is the accord if its the proper year then you could swap no problem, you'd have to swap rotors as well. I was thinking about that earlier but decided when I do brake swap I will just go with the TSX / Accord, I don't want to deal with that big of a change / jump. (It will also be much more expansive after you factor in pads, rotors etc. Does that kit include calipers? That seems very cheap, wilwood is a great company and porsche style brakes are AWESOME, you can change pads for freakin fast!

The accord kit is very easy to get, you can order everything new from Majestic Honda new (except pads well you could but you'd have stock pads which will still be better than what we're running now) and it's under 500 bucks if your smart.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:09 PM   #14 (permalink)

Alex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayodog View Post
car: 07 fa5
Tires: Always changing lol, currently on federal rsr 225/40 on 18x8.5 pf01. Going to a 17x8.5/7.5 reverse stagger on ce28. Tires arnt on them yet however. Likely getting 255/225 rs3.
Suspension: Skunk2 pro-c w/ 14k rear springs. Progress rear sway. SPC v2 rear camber. PCI front lca spherical bushings going on soon. Be the first 8th with them . LMK if anyone is interested in them, i'm in touch with the owner of PCI.
Brakes: dc5 brembos up front w/ project mu club racer. Stoptech rear pads. Motul RBF600.
Have bolt ons and flashpro w/ a base map. Clutch Masters fx200 and hybrid racing CMC.

Track at mainly buttonwillow and streets of willow here in southern cali. Planning to change to ASR's custom kw v3 suspension using ASR camber plates and hyper coil springs.

Random interior mods, and slight amount of aero. 4" front splitter with a 1" air dam is in the works. Splitter will be 2.5" off the ground when complete. Should help a great deal at buttonwillow where there are quite a few high speed turns.

Weee i hope this thread turns out well.
How do you like the Pro-C I'm either going to cheap out for HFP or save up for those....HFP is looking nice now. How do you like the dc5s? Any pics of your car?!
Old 02-16-2012, 08:19 PM   #15 (permalink)

Anthony
Quote:
What year is the accord if its the proper year then you could swap no problem, you'd have to swap rotors as well. I was thinking about that earlier but decided when I do brake swap I will just go with the TSX / Accord, I don't want to deal with that big of a change / jump. (It will also be much more expansive after you factor in pads, rotors etc. Does that kit include calipers? That seems very cheap, wilwood is a great company and porsche style brakes are AWESOME, you can change pads for freakin fast!

The accord kit is very easy to get, you can order everything new from Majestic Honda new (except pads well you could but you'd have stock pads which will still be better than what we're running now) and it's under 500 bucks if your smart.
Front rotors, pads, and calipers (4 pot) plus ss lines for an extra 69$. Is 0.4 of an inch a lot of thermal mass? I'm fairly new to brakes still. I'd get the kit with is BP-20 front pads which are supposed to be pretty good, or maybe swap out for some stoptech street performance pads. I dont want to have to change at the track, although i could keep oem fronts for DD and swap the whole rotor/caliper onto the car prior to a track day w/o having to bed in pads or assemble anything.

I'm also planning on fabbing up some brake ducting to go from the foglight holes to a rather large hole in the dust shield (i was thinking of aiming it at the rotor right before that section would go through the caliper). I dont think rear ducting would be necessary nor easy considering the only way to force air into there would be to put the intake for the ducting under the car which could be bad on speedbumps.

Are the TSX and Accord the same size caliper/rotor up front?
Old 02-16-2012, 09:19 PM   #16 (permalink)

Alex
Sounds like a very good deal if you go this route let me know how it is, if they're porsche style it literally takes 2 minutes to change pads, I kid you not it's so easy, you don't have to remove the caliper. just a backing plate and done.

Yes accord and tsx brake caliper, pad, and rotors are the same specs.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:55 PM   #17 (permalink)

Anthony
I may because it's so cheap and if i dont have to remove the caliper then changing out at track days will be a piece of cake. I've read other places that these dynalite calipers are really quick to change out pads.
I think with this and the brake ducting i can use a dual purpose such as stoptech street performance or whatever wilwood offers. Oh and these fit over stock wheels too, i may run 5mm or 10mm spacers (whichever are hubcentric) just in case
Old 02-16-2012, 10:36 PM   #18 (permalink)

Alex
I have a friend with a wilwood kit for his m3 and he swaps pads so fast when he needs to, get the brakes you might now even need the ducting till way later on.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:57 PM   #19 (permalink)

Anthony
Decided to go with tsx swap. All oem parts are so much more reliable, plus i have wayyyyyyy more pad options. I think it should do fine. Calipers are 90 each, 50 for shims, then ill get ss lines, stoptech street performance pads, and have my uncle order some powerslot rotors for me.

Si lines(stock or ss) bolt up correct?
Also, do you know if there is anything else I need?
Old 02-16-2012, 11:19 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Decided to go with tsx swap. All oem parts are so much more reliable, plus i have wayyyyyyy more pad options.
Good, I just read through the entire thread, and was going to point out that the Wilwood setup for our cars might cause you some headaches. I knew a guy who used to have an Si as his track car (before he upgraded to an E90 M3, lucky prick) and I believe he had Wilwood calipers on his car (or Stoptech, can't remember exactly) that didn't fit under the OEM wheels. The issue was lateral clearance, the inside of the wheel spokes made contact with the side of the caliper.

That's why he ended up with 3 sets of Kosei wheels (one of which he sold me), for winter, summer, and track days. I almost bought the brakes off of him, but decided against it because I'd rather not be at the mercy of the tire shops when the weather gets bad. Granted, not everyone has these problems, but be sure to factor in the cost of new wheels (and the hassle of test-fitting them) if you decide to go with aftermarket fixed calipers.
Sugar Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.