8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

The Official HPDE / Track Thread

237K views 3K replies 131 participants last post by  otrtkennedy 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been noticing the AutoX thread lately and just noticed there was no official Track / HPDE threads, mostly threads from MikeJ that get a lot of attention. So I think this should be the official Track / HPDE talk and chat thread.

I'll attempt to post up any links I find here that relate to this thread so they're easily found.

Good Thread with a little chat and good recommendations.
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/auto...ing-more-serious-into-racing-suggestions.html

Phenomenal Oil Thread, READ the thread from the Ferrari Forums!
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/autocross-sanctioned-drag-racing/192582-racing-oil-clarify-learn.html

Our Brake Upgrade Options
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/suspension-brakes/62478-brake-options.html

TSX Brake Swap
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/suspension-brakes/140394-tsx-brake-swap-upgrade.html

FA5 brake ducts
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/suspension-brakes/265794-fa5-brake-ducts.html

Speed Bleeders for Brakes
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/do-y...utch-bleeding-speed-bleeder-installation.html

Good Suspension Thread (For serious suspension not junk coil overs)
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/susp...pension-vs-koni-swift-springs-suspension.html

List of Coil-over options (I would add Both sets of Godspeed coil-overs to this list as well.)

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/suspension-brakes/72054-coil-over-options-06-civic.html
Next I'll give a little info about myself and it would be cool if we could copy the AutoX thread and get little introductions on people.

Name: Alex
Cars: 2009 Civic Si (Just a progress sway bar on it), 1998 BMW M3 Sedan (Track Rat)
Info: This will be my second track season and will be my first with the Civic, last year I had the pleasure to drive at New Hampshire International Speedway, and Watkins Glen, in a number of different e36's.

So who are the other track rats on the forum?

See less See more
#242 ·
Yes, Evasive sold their car to my friend Renzo and put in a built k24, 312whp and he's doing 2 flat at Buttonwillow.

Another friend of mine is doing 2:02 in his red civic with 265whp.

Ping ping is around 2:04-2:05 and I'm at 2:08-2:09.

Stock to Stock the cobalt ss tc will destroy the si in handling. I should know i had one. I ran
1:40 at Big Willow and the car had 400 miles with dealer plates. then I went with my si with
progress rear swaybar, NT05's, wider wheels, brakes pads, HFP suspension, camber bolts,
and bolt ons and I could only get a 1:42.3. The TC has some understeer because it has no
rear swaybar. The difference in time is in the power and torque. My best time at buttonwillow
CW 13 is 2:08 with the same mods. Someone said earlier that a cobalt tc runs that bone stock.
I beleive it. I had to spend much more money to get my FA5 to run that time at buttonwillow.,
not to mention with lots weight reduction.
Weird, Pow ran 1:38 with V12 evos, Hawk HPS, some OTS shocks and lower springs, basic bolt ons.

If you're think dedicated track car why would you stay with FF? Lots of much cheaper rwd cars with better handling and platform, because at the end of the days it's still a 260hp front wheel drive car.

Still work on driver first!

Didn't realized the SS was such a joke room mate said it was 240 my SI and my M3 would destroy him stock for stock.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

It all comes down to personal preference. Reliability is my #1 concern

#238 ·
Stock to Stock the cobalt ss tc will destroy the si in handling. I should know i had one. I ran
1:40 at Big Willow and the car had 400 miles with dealer plates. then I went with my si with
progress rear swaybar, NT05's, wider wheels, brakes pads, HFP suspension, camber bolts,
and bolt ons and I could only get a 1:42.3. The TC has some understeer because it has no
rear swaybar. The difference in time is in the power and torque. My best time at buttonwillow
CW 13 is 2:08 with the same mods. Someone said earlier that a cobalt tc runs that bone stock.
I beleive it. I had to spend much more money to get my FA5 to run that time at buttonwillow.,
not to mention with lots weight reduction.

#239 ·
I know the cobalt ss tc has sorry interior and the looks are maybe not so appealing but to
me it is a superior car. The motor is great and the car outhandles a lot of more expensive
cars. Look at the track times at the nurburing in germany, the TC beats a lot of the cars in its
class by more than 10 seconds. It was 1 or 2 seconds behind the evo 8 and its fwd. You
would have to drive it to know what I'm talking about. If you want GO not Show and are a function over form kind of guy then the TC is for you. The reason I don't have mine is because
it burned in a canyon trying to get my friend out of his speed3 who wrecked. Then GMAC didn't
want to finance me a third car. Sorry guys I'm a chevy guy at heart, I just had to settle for the
si cuz honda financed me. Nevertheless like anybody else , I still try to make it as fast as possible just like every other car I've had. "GO BEFORE SHOW".

#241 ·
If you're think dedicated track car why would you stay with FF? Lots of much cheaper rwd cars with better handling and platform, because at the end of the days it's still a 260hp front wheel drive car.

Still work on driver first!

Didn't realized the SS was such a joke room mate said it was 240 my SI and my M3 would destroy him stock for stock.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#244 · (Edited)
I wasnt thinking dedicated, but as a first car I think FF is good for learning, no?

Yes, Evasive sold their car to my friend Renzo and put in a built k24, 312whp and he's doing 2 flat at Buttonwillow.

Another friend of mine is doing 2:02 in his red civic with 265whp.

Ping ping is around 2:04-2:05 and I'm at 2:08-2:09.

Weird, Pow ran 1:38 with V12 evos, Hawk HPS, some OTS shocks and lower springs, basic bolt ons.

It all comes down to personal preference. Reliability is my #1 concern
Reliability is also my #1 concern. Times are great, but if i have more fun in my car, then I'd rather have mine. And I like revvy engines more than turbo engines. Plus, its always fun when nothing breaks. And, Si's are pretty cheap compared to other cars when it comes to pads, tires, parts, etc

Good videos. I like the iPhone setup. Does that red line in the steering wheel really help you?

#255 ·
Pow didn't run a 1:38, evasive si did. Back in the 2010 Redline time attack, the evasive
civic took first with a 1:38.9 , I took second with a 1:42.2, and pow took third
with a 1:42.8. Look it up its in Results section on the redline timeattack website.
I ran that time when I had 200whp, now I have about 220whp so i should be a
bit quicker but haven't had the time or money to go again.

#257 ·
No, i was driving my black Fa5. Yo cambodian nice driving, you drive similar to me
cuz I slide the car all over the track as well. Hey are you going to any upcoming
speedventure events cuz I think we should go out there and compete with each other.
I think it will be a lot fun.

#258 ·
I wanted to go to the Chuckwalla event at the end of this month but $180 + timing is a bit pricey for me. I'm going to skip track events this month and replace some worn out parts (spark plug, timing belt, etc) so the car is good in the future.

I'm planning to go to the Raceline Buttonwillow Event at the beginning of April.

#267 ·
yeahh... lost my keys after the first session though :(

firestone is definitely a hit or miss. there have been some that had previously customized it for me and when i came back a couple months later they didnt even want to align/ said my car wont fit on the rack.

since i have a rsx, i have already marked my own front camber so if it ever goes out of spec i can get -3 camber real fast and just bring it into firestone for toe adjustments... they usually are alot happier when i say just fix the toe

#270 ·
i mark the bottom bracket of the suspension that connects to the hub...im not sure if bmw's work the same way... you can do the string and ruler method if you want.. i mean i've tried it once and it took too much work..

my toe changes like crazy...partly to my car's poor suspension design..

likewise all my track days i've always left my keys in the car.. dont know what happened this time..

#273 ·
Toe plates and Android/Iphone camber APP LOl!

btw how'd you do at cvr cambodianricer?

everyone seem to do really well
I end up getting a 2:09.1

Everyone was pretty quick that day compared to the last time we went in the summer. Maybe because less heat?

Hint: timing Chain, accessory Belt :p
whoops, that what I meant :p

Accessory belt!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.